The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Hmm... I did do, but I'd forgotten that it was quite noisy last time I used it. I think the problem is that the back wheel of the bike is not true and maybe not round enough either.

There is definitely a lateral wobble as the wheel rotates - out of true.

I think that the radius of the wheel varies through a rotation - not round. That might not be a huge issue on the road but the bike is in a fixed position on the turbo with the wheel pushed hard against the turbo roller. If the tightness is adjusted for the smallest radius then at other points in the rotation the tyre is pressing way too hard. If the adjustment is made at the biggest radius then the tyre can slip at the smallest radius because it isn't pushing hard enough against the roller. I have compromised and adjusted the roller pressure so the tyre does not slip but so the wheel can still turn round.

The outcome is though that there is a thumping noise once per revolution of the wheel. It is really irritating. I want there to be a nice whirring sound in the background while I am pedalling. I do NOT want a thump-thump-thump going on the whole time, and especially not the very rapid thumping when I am pedalling like crazy.

Wheel truing is not a job that I feel confident about tackling! I will have to watch some YouTube videos for advice, then give it a go...

I look forward to my pension though, and being able to afford to pay a bike mechanic to do that kind of job for me.
Turn the wheel by hand, marking the spot where its at it tightest. Opposite side of the wheel should be the opposite. Then set for a point partway between the two.

Chief Broom

Veteran
Im looking forward to the morning as the wind is meant to be subsiding then. :okay: When i first came up to the Highlands i spent 12 weeks in a tent camping all over and sometimes in ferocious storms, at times the poles would bend so low in the wind they would almost touch my face. Lightening hitting trees a few hundred feet away and the dog looking worried phew! the delights of camping...
Guess i shouldnt grumble being in a cabin...and thinking of the poor migrants in their inadequate tents being out in it.
pic is Glenbrittle

Dave7

Legendary Member
Well......if anyone is up before me they must be madder than I am.
I woke (meaning really awake) and somehow had it in my head that it was 0645.
Got dresses in the dark so as no to disturb MrsD..........came into the conservatory to find it was only 0415.
Problem is, I am awake and dressed now. I am sure it will catch up on me later.:wacko:

Top Bottom