The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Good morning all fellow wheezers.
Wordle in 3:okay:.
This morning I am going down to our son's place to help tidy his garden up. He did his back in last week so is still pretty much crocked.
He has put his maisonette on the market and wants it all tidy for the photographs.
But, looking out the window the dark clouds are coming and rain is forecast :rain:
Another busy day in paradise :cuppa:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Good morning, it is unexpectedly wet and still. The forecast was dry and windy. We're supposed to be out on an 80 miler including a top 100 climb - Jubilee Tower - but I'm having doubts, no word from my cycling buddy for the day and we meet in 90 minutes. I'm not full of enthusiasm. As for other news? Well not much. I bought a new strimmer yesterday. Had a quick play with it in the evening and seems to be very good. The exciting thing for me is I started serious calorie counting a month ago. I had tipped the scales at 75.4kg which I was very unhappy about, 73.0kg this morning. Pleased with this and can see the hoped for return to 71kg is possible.

I'll apologize in advance for any wet weather over the next few days..........

Apologise? Is that it? I mean could you not show a bit more consideration it's been heaving down here at 6.00! :laugh::laugh:

D

Deleted member 1258

@ColinJ your Morris dancers clue was a doddle, took about 30 seconds but then word and letter patterns is something I just see. I have no explanation for it.

Chester I have thought about but other than "Chest" plus "er" I can't get it. My only thought, Google is my friend, is an ecclesiastical "see" and Chester is a cathedral city

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Episcopal_see

Thats interesting, I don't see patterns in words or numbers, it sounds like something that makes life easier.

D

Deleted member 1258

Apologise? Is that it? I mean could you not show a bit more consideration it's been heaving down here at 6.00! :laugh::laugh:

Sorry! :laugh::laugh::laugh: This job was supposed to have been done late last summer but as soon as we agreed price and start date the weather broke and that was the end of that, now we've actually got started rain stopped play, at least its only for the day, I hope!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Thats interesting, I don't see patterns in words or numbers, it sounds like something that makes life easier.

With words I think it's just fun but very useful for quizzes, Scrabble etc. I approach a problem like Scrabble or Wordle by looking for a pattern, I don't look for a word. As an example if I'm playing Scrabble and have "ign" I'll ignore those letters and look for a pattern in the remaining four letters to try and find a four letter word to extend with "ing"

With arithmetic it is extremely useful. My mental arithmetic is very good and I'll usually beat someone using a calculator on every day stuff. I can look at a spreadsheet and spot errors very quickly, not because I necessarily know the exact answer but I'll have a good idea of the expected answer. Good for shopping, bills etc.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Sorry! :laugh::laugh::laugh: This job was supposed to have been done late last summer but as soon as we agreed price and start date the weather broke and that was the end of that, now we've actually got started rain stopped play, at least its only for the day, I hope!

So do I........I've got a 100 miler on Saturday, could you postpone the work till Sunday? :laugh:

Dave7

Legendary Member
When the internet goes down people panic, they have to talk face to face with each other.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Does that include talking to my wife :eek:.
Lets hope it never goes down here.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Morning all :hello:

Raining out there today, glad I got all my gardening done yesterday.
Of to the great metropolis - otherwise know as Barnstaple - today.
MrsD wants to give the cards a workout. :sad:

With words I think it's just fun but very useful for quizzes, Scrabble etc. I approach a problem like Scrabble or Wordle by looking for a pattern, I don't look for a word. As an example if I'm playing Scrabble and have "ign" I'll ignore those letters and look for a pattern in the remaining four letters to try and find a four letter word to extend with "ing"

With arithmetic it is extremely useful. My mental arithmetic is very good and I'll usually beat someone using a calculator on every day stuff. I can look at a spreadsheet and spot errors very quickly, not because I necessarily know the exact answer but I'll have a good idea of the expected answer. Good for shopping, bills etc.
Surprised you weren't head hunted by my old employer. ;)

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Morning. Been raining for the whole of the second half of the night. It's supposed to rain most of the day I think but on the bright side it's supposed to get warmer and drier after today. So hoorah.

Today is picking up Mr WD tablets. Playing with my new old sewing machine and slobbing. :laugh:

Stay safe peeps:hello:

Chief Broom

Veteran
Morning folks :okay: this weather is weird its blowing from every direction when sou'westerlies is the norm, its cold,wet n horrid :rolleyes: sorry im not a ray of sunshine this morning :laugh:
Sowed some cosmos,coriander and some more basil. Have lettuce growing well in pots and will plant them out when it warms up and under netting to keep the pigeons off :okay:
Watched 'As good as it gets' with Jack Nicolson yesterday. a favourite of mine :okay:

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Morning folks :okay: this weather is weird its blowing from every direction when sou'westerlies is the norm, its cold,wet n horrid :rolleyes: sorry im not a ray of sunshine this morning :laugh:
Sowed some cosmos,coriander and some more basil. Have lettuce growing well in pots and will plant them out when it warms up and under netting to keep the pigeons off :okay:
Watched 'As good as it gets' with Jack Nicolson yesterday. a favourite of mine :okay:

You'll need to enlighten me as to what cosmos is as I can't be bothered googling. :laugh:

Purple flowers?

Last edited:

Chief Broom

Veteran
You'll need to enlighten me as to what cosmos is as I can't be bothered googling. :laugh:
They are tall bushy annuals in pastel shades of pink/white/red, good fillers for borders. As my garden is pocket sized they
might be a bit much but i do like a burgeoning/anarchic style! :okay:
13993z.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom