The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
We has :rain::rain: :sad:

D

Deleted member 1258

:rain::rain::rain: I had to drive to Yoga this morning, its only a ten minute walk away, another well attended class and another good work out. While I was out my Good lady phoned the sister in law and caught up on the gossip, my Brother In Law is ill, its been six years since he last needed to see the doctor, and several of our friends are unwell as well, which is a concern as they're all elderly, the eldest is in her nineties.

pawl

Legendary Member
:rain::rain::rain: I had to drive to Yoga this morning, its only a ten minute walk away, another well attended class and another good work out. While I was out my Good lady phoned the sister in law and caught up on the gossip, my Brother In Law is ill, its been six years since he last needed to see the doctor, and several of our friends are unwell as well, which is a concern as they're all elderly, the eldest is in her nineties.

The only friend I have left is my mate Derek.He’s a year and a day older than me the rest have passed
Three years ago I was in Keswick .I called to see an ex social work colleague but she wasn’t in.As I was leaving she returned I said hello Vera She responded by saying are you some one from my past Vera it’s Dave we worked together at the LRI She was as unable to remember me she only had vague recollections of being the team leader of the older person team

So sad to see the deterioration of someone one who was so bright and intelligent :sad::sad::sad:

D

Deleted member 1258

So sad to see the deterioration of someone one who was so bright and intelligent :sad::sad::sad:

Unfortunately age can be unkind and that can happen to people. :sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's interesting, I don't see patterns in words or numbers, it sounds like something that makes life easier.

With words I think it's just fun but very useful for quizzes, Scrabble etc. I approach a problem like Scrabble or Wordle by looking for a pattern, I don't look for a word. As an example if I'm playing Scrabble and have "ign" I'll ignore those letters and look for a pattern in the remaining four letters to try and find a four letter word to extend with "ing"

With arithmetic it is extremely useful. My mental arithmetic is very good and I'll usually beat someone using a calculator on every day stuff. I can look at a spreadsheet and spot errors very quickly, not because I necessarily know the exact answer but I'll have a good idea of the expected answer. Good for shopping, bills etc.
I am with Paul on this! I can usually spot anagrams a mile off, which is why I was surprised to miss the morris dancers one.

Here are 3 from today's Metro cryptic crossword. (It is pretty simple as far as cryptics go.)

"It's rude to create a diversion" (6)
DETOUR

"Elgar's looks?" (6)
GLARES

"Has the case changed?" (6)
SHEATH

Here are a couple from a Times Quick Cryptic...

"Witness protects a suspect" (9)
SPECTATOR

"Mighty tiger won anyhow" (8)
TOWERING

As for numbers...

I couldn't tell you how many times I look at the time on the clock on my microwave oven and think "Yikes, root 2 again!" (2:14 pm, 14:14, square root of 2 = 1.414(21356237...) or "It's Pi time!" (3:14 am, 03.14, Pi = 3.14159(265359...)). Numbers sometimes just jump out at me.

I was once working with a colleague trying to debug a prototype digital circuit board. My mate had designed the hardware and I was writing the software. It was doing very odd things... We were trying to get our heads round what was going on so I wrote a very simple test program which would run in the processor's internal memory to test the external memory on the board. The results looked like complete gobbledygook. I stared at a memory dump for a few minutes and suddenly the answer was clear... Instead of finding the data SOME_DATA at the memory address SOME_ADDRESS, we actually had the data SOME_ADDRESS at the memory address SOME_DATA!!! :wacko: As soon as I told my mate what was happening he realised what the cause of it was. He had made a simple mistake in his logic design which took him about 5 minutes to fix.

D

Deleted member 1258

I am with Paul on this! I can usually spot anagrams a mile off, which is why I was surprised to miss the morris dancers one.

As for numbers...

I couldn't tell you how many times I look at the time on the clock on my microwave oven and think "Yikes, root 2 again!" (2:14 pm, 14:14, square root of 2 = 1.414(21356237...) or "It's Pi time!" (3:14 am, 03.14, Pi = 3.14159(265359...)). Numbers sometimes just jump out at me.

I was once working with a colleague trying to debug a prototype digital circuit board. My mate had designed the hardware and I was writing the software. It was doing very odd things... We were trying to get our heads round what was going on so I wrote a very simple test program which would run in the processor's internal memory to test the external memory on the board. The results looked like complete gobbledygook. I stared at a memory dump for a few minutes and suddenly the answer was clear... Instead of finding the data SOME_DATA at the memory address SOME_ADDRESS, we actually had the data SOME_ADDRESS at the memory address SOME_DATA!!! :wacko: As soon as I told my mate what was happening he realised what the cause of it was. He had made a simple mistake in his logic design which took him about 5 minutes to fix.

I haven't had to use Root, Square Root or Pi since I left school in the mid 1960's and I've forgotten them, if I had to start using them again someone would have to teach me them from scratch

Mo1959

Legendary Member
And the weather?

Wasn’t too bad, although not very warm but the sun appeared briefly. Bridge over the Tay, Black Watch memorial and a bike sculpture. Nice lunch had. I had chilli con carne and rice.

87DDE455-73ED-4A41-820F-C6FCD728DCDA.jpeg

188BC2AC-CF8E-464D-BF6C-18057B12E857.jpeg

54B59F11-8098-40CD-8468-BEC47E31B2AB.jpeg

Top Bottom