The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Good morning everyone from that, there London. We are down in the smoke for the weekend. Drove down yesterday mainly on smart motorways which worked very well. Speed controlled at 50/60 and not once did the traffic bunch or slow.

Today we will visit the British Museum and particularly want to see the Sutton Hoo collection. Meeting my cousin for an afternoon drink then it's carb loading time with fellow club mates and an early night.

Ride London tomorrow and my start time is 06.25 which means getting up at 5.00am. :wacko:

Mrs P is still sleeping. I want coffee. If I boil the kettle or rattle a spoon I'm a dead man! :laugh:

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Coooooeee. Much brighter here today. Allegedly will be 17 deg so lovely.:sun::sun:

Stay safe peeps:hello:

D

Deleted member 1258

I've been for an early bimble, out the house at half seven, my first bimble for a fortnight, my Good lady has improved enough that I can leave her alone long enough to get a short ride in, for the first fortnight after she came out of hospital I couldn't leave her alone for long, I've done my Meriden loop and ridden 25 miles, it was a bit cool for the time of year and a bit breezy, but I did most of the ride in bright sunshine. I'd forgotten how slow that ride is, its a touch lumpy in places and includes the long drag up Harvest Hill Lane. After the last couple of weeks it was lovely to get out and ride my bike in the countryside and fresh air, thats good for body and spirit, I've enjoyed the outing, the first for my new Ron Hill Tracksters, they're as comfortable now as I remember them from years ago and the first pair I had.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I've been for an early bimble, out the house at half seven, my first bimble for a fortnight, my Good lady has improved enough that I can leave her alone long enough to get a short ride in, for the first fortnight after she came out of hospital I couldn't leave her alone for long, I've done my Meriden loop and ridden 25 miles, it was a bit cool for the time of year and a bit breezy, but I did most of the ride in bright sunshine. I'd forgotten how slow that ride is, its a touch lumpy in places and includes the long drag up Harvest Hill Lane. After the last couple of weeks it was lovely to get out and ride my bike in the countryside and fresh air, thats good for body and spirit, I've enjoyed the outing, the first for my new Ron Hill Tracksters, they're as comfortable now as I remember them from years ago and the first pair I had.

Glad you got a spin in. It's important to keep yourself fit and healthy and get at least a short time for yourself too.

@Chief Broom Everything OK? You haven't posted anything for a while. :sad:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
We regularly get a Domino's leaflet shoved through the letter box. I sometimes read it before binning it. I can't understand people paying those prices**
**having said that, my son and partner own a pub/restaurant yet will sometimes send out for a pizza:sad:

Aldi do great pizza for £3.50/4.00
This was a spontaneous one-off treat. We were expecting to pay £6.50, which we were already hesitant to pay. At £8.00+ we probably won't do it more than once or twice a year. Or will go the Aldi route!

I was more concerned about the price increases of the curries. I have had a closer look at the new prices. Nearly everything has gone up by 20+%, many items by 25-35%, and some by 50%. This was not gradually - it was overnight.

Still, it won't affect me much. I used to allow myself 1 takeaway a week. Recently it has been more like 1 per 8-10 weeks.

I am off to the Ribble Valley on my bike today. I won't be doing the big climbs so...

[Distracted by strange taste to tea... I use an insulated mug and made some green tea with added mint in it last night. I obviously didn't clean it well enough last night because my Yorkshire tea has a hint of mint in it!]

... I had been toying with using my 2-speed bike but I would either have to do too many 'stop and shift' gear changes or walk some ramps. I will bring my best bike (← 20 year old Cannondale CAAD 5) out of hibernation instead.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I've done the ironing and the machine has made a loaf, not too sure what the rest of the day will hold as it's not very warm here only 16c

D

Deleted member 1258

Thats an interesting contrast, its cool today, I've been out on my bike needing longs and a long sleeved top, it came up on my Facebook memories from 10 years ago, 2012, I did a 74 mile ride stopping at the Waseley Hills Country Park and started early, 8am, to avoid riding during the hottest part of the day, so it must have been a lot warmer compared to today.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Thats an interesting contrast, its cool today, I've been out on my bike needing longs and a long sleeved top, it came up on my Facebook memories from 10 years ago, 2012, I did a 74 mile ride stopping at the Waseley Hills Country Park and started early, 8am, to avoid riding during the hottest part of the day, so it must have been a lot warmer compared to today.

Somewhat similar, next week it will be ten years to the day that I did my last long run. Up at 3:30 in the morning as the run started at 05:30. Pietermaritzburg to Durban, a tad hilly and a bit warm once the sun got up ☀️☀️

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
In the Crows Nest, at Crows Nest for a light lunch of crab & scallop bites.:okay:
IMG_20220528_131050042_HDR.jpg

Chief Broom

Veteran

@Chief Broom Everything OK? You haven't posted anything for a while. :sad:
Hi Mo thanks for asking :okay: im ok though the news lately has been getting to me,,,,should imagine its been getting to everyone :rolleyes:
Gardens coming along , ive lots of plants in the cold frame ready to plant out just waiting for some summer sun and the cold winds to drop.
Heres a question...would sea gulls eat grapes? :laugh: i was thinking of planting a hardy vine on a south wall and really wouldnt mind if blackbirds, thrushes and the like ate them but wouldnt want a load of noisy, dumping gulls having a go. Anyone know? :okay:

Top Bottom