The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Hello people. 10.40pm to 7.24am - now that's what I call a sleep! It's a touch grey and misty here.

This morning I shall visit B&Q for paint - the porch is almost complete. At the same time I'll pop in to the trophy shop to drop trophies off for engraving before the club Awards Night.

The mighty Rovers are at home today.........so that's another afternoon of disappointment heading my way. 🤣

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Easily done.
A pal of mine fell off a ladder when he was 68 and recently retired. Hit his head on an ornamental wall around a flower bed.
His missus came back from shopping and found him dead on the patio.

I fell off the garage roof 10 or so years ago. It left me with damaged nerves and muscles which prevented the left eye opening for months. The lid is still lower than it should.

On the plus side Mrs P banned me from using ladders under most circumstances. The number of jobs I can no longer do.........:laugh::laugh:

Last edited:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I find the new format of the forum is very slow compared to the previous one. It's also not as easy to use on a mobile phone - everything is too scrunched up.

I had this issue on my phone, which I use 95% of the time. Other things were slow as well. Eventually I did a factory reset and everything is now as good as new. It's a pain to do, and please do at least two backups, but worthwhile.

I like the new format.

Me too.

Try marking "All Forums Read", see if that improves things for yerssen and @Drago.

Done when you're finishing for the night. @PaulSB said he does it daily, ColinJ did it and the site speeded up for him.

I was astonished to read Colin had never done this. I did rather feel it may have wasted a lot of Shaun's time.

What if I haven't read them?

My approach is to put the forums I never read on "Ignore." I actually have more ignored than showing. I pop on here and General Chat first and then go to Beginners, open it, quickly browse to interesting titles and anything I may have contributed to. Then I move to the next sub-forum.

Quite often when a thread moves away from the original topic I stop reading it. Also when posters begin to say things about me which are untrue I generally leave it - see the current Inner Tube thread. I can't be arsed with those sort of people.

When I'm done before leaving I do "mark forums read." Works well for me but then I may miss interesting stuff as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Other forums I look at on my phone work just as quickly as they ever did; it's just slow on this one, so I don't think it's a phone issue.
I never had to do the All Forums Read thing previously on the old site and it was much quicker, so I reckon it must be something to do with the new format.
I think my logic is sound. :scratch:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Well I admit to having a hangover this morning. Its @GM s fault as he said he would see me at the Palms bar. I had his beers lined up but he didnt show so I had to drink them:wacko:.
Had a good night, maybe too good. Managed breckie this morning but going back to the room for a lie down now.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
Other forums I look at on my phone work just as quickly as they ever did; it's just slow on this one, so I don't think it's a phone issue.
I never had to do the All Forums Read thing previously on the old site and it was much quicker, so I reckon it must be something to do with the new format.
I think my logic is sound. :scratch:

Of course it is. :laugh:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
With the new porch going up the kitchen floor got filthy. Late afternoon Mrs P cleaned it, stripped the surface finish and resealed. Before she went out she asked me to put on a second coat. I didn't - pizza, red wine, film.

This morning Mrs P said "Thanks for doing the second coat. It looks so much better."

Two lessons here; there are times when it is clearly best to say nothing. Second it didn't need doing anyway!! 😆

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I've just been on another forum I frequent that uses the same template that this forum used previously. It's about 3 times faster when opening up threads and pages. Something is obviously slowing this current format and it's not my device.

My phone was generally slow, kept freezing on many different apps etc. The reset was clearly needed and did speed this forum up significantly. It also resolved the other issues I had.

I think you're right though and there seem to be a lot of members with the same issue.

Drago

Legendary Member
I have risen! Been up for a.while, bit been busy.

Try marking "All Forums Read", see if that improves things for yerssen and @Drago.

Makes no difference to me. I don't know what has been done, but it's only the last few days it's been this way. It's very off putting and does nothing to add to the sites appeal to fresh meat. I mean new users.

Top Bottom