The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

One for Dirk! 😄

Last edited by a moderator:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Serious question.....why have they chosen that area??
It must be beautiful but.....it must be freezing 4 months of the year.

The nearest town is Arreau to give you the general area. My friends are a young couple, early 40s, and this is a lifestyle choice. Disillusioned with the UK and Brexit they feel France offers a better life. This area primarily because it is quiet and beautiful. They need an income so have established a rental property with five twin rooms; it's aimed at cyclists, skiers and walkers. Locally there is very little infrastructure for people doing these activities - especially cyclists. My friends are big skiers and cyclists.

I've been there walking and will probably go cycling next summer. There is superb low level riding and TDF climbs within easy reach, for example Col d'Aspin and Tourmalet.

Makes sense to me.

Dave7

Legendary Member
The nearest town is Arreau to give you the general area. My friends are a young couple, early 40s, and this is a lifestyle choice. Disillusioned with the UK and Brexit they feel France offers a better life. This area primarily because it is quiet and beautiful. They need an income so have established a rental property with five twin rooms; it's aimed at cyclists, skiers and walkers. Locally there is very little infrastructure for people doing these activities - especially cyclists. My friends are big skiers and cyclists.

I've been there walking and will probably go cycling next summer. There is superb low level riding and TDF climbs within easy reach, for example Col d'Aspin and Tourmalet.

Makes sense to me.
Sounds lovely. When its convenient could you pm me the details?

Drago

Legendary Member
I know a guy...nice enough, but not the brightest. He too was disillusioned with Brexit, so he decided to move to Canada. I asked what the logic of that was, seeing as Canada is not in the EU and has no realistic prospect of ever joining.

I never got a sensible answer to that, and off he went. Alas, hes been made redundant so hes coming back - couldn't have been that bad here after all, eh?

It's like my ex's family. She was Greek and a lot of her family settled here. A fair few moved back to the old country, but the moment they needed expensive Hospital treatment they were back here right sharpish to get it on the NHS. A few went to Cyprus, and then nipped back here to avoid military service. I deduced from this that despite the slagging they gave the UK they were quick to seek its help when things went breasts skywards - "I love this country, but not enough to use its hospitals or do my national service in it." Indeed.

PS, that's not a political diatribe, but a comment on peoples sometimes unusual responses to such matters. Some of them think they're being clever, but circumstances sometimes conspire to prove they weren't.

classic33

Leg End Member
Night Johnboy.
Night GranMa

Sweet Dream!!

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I rarely go to bed before 11pm. Most nights it's nearer midnight.

I wish. I'm usually falling asleep by 10.00 though strangely not tonight. I'm often awake at 3-4.00 after 5-6 hours sleep.

I would LOVE to be awake later and sleep till 6-7.00am. Just can't do it. I wake up and start thinking about whatever is bothering me.

Top Bottom