The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I used to 'wear' my hair long until, in my mid 30s I took up scuba diving. I found it so much easier to have it short, got used to it and it stayed that way.
MrsD says I look younger when its longer but as I dont tend to 'go on the pull' so much its a mute point:rolleyes:
I only have a beard to make me look old enough to buy a pint. :rolleyes:

rustybolts

pedalling tediously
This reminds me:

Many moons back in a different life I had an important presentation to give to around 300 people the next day..

So, the night before, Lovely Wife was cutting my hair with my Wahl clippers and was suffering from PMT at the time. I said something 'bad' inadvertently and a row kicked off and she refused to finish my half-finished haircut. :eek:

Significant apologising, begging, grovelling etc eventually got the job completed. :smile:
When" her indoors" is in a panic and is going to a "do" in the evening I get dragged into applying a colour to her hair if the hairdresser can't take her. The cursing and swearing that usually ensue is like hell brimstone. I am accused of "pulling the head off her " being "as rough as a dog " etc so eventually after biting my tongue for a bit I retaliate and unleash a few verbals myself "I didn't ask for this ****ing job " etc . When finished she thanks me sweetly and disappears and I reach for a few beers to restore my shattered nerves :cheers::wacko:

RMFrance

Retirement is for me the impossible dream - a pathetic state pension just doesn't cut it, my wife has another 8 years to go for hers to kick in, and as we're based in France the fall in Sterling against the Euro since 2016 has cost is a bundle. Blimey, this is sounding like a rant (but it is fact).
Bikes, though... ah, bikes! Getting back to the joy of finding, riding and restoring them is (along with music) what keeps me sane between workloads.
One really positive thing I can say about having been around for, er, 'quite awhile now' is that unattainable exotic creations I used to drool over as a kid are now within reach, as overlooked 'vintage racing bikes', and I'm powerless to resist.

D

Deleted member 1258

We are now getting the bad weather we should have got this morning. Rain and strong wind.

We got the bad weather this morning, its been blowing a hoolie and raining like someones been building a boat since about eleven. I've had to go out and fix the bolt on the garden gate this afternoon, the strong wind had rattled the screws holding the bolt on loose.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
We got the bad weather this morning, its been blowing a hoolie and raining like someones been building a boat since about eleven. I've had to go out and fix the bolt on the garden gate this afternoon, the strong wind had rattled the screws holding the bolt on loose.
Yep, strong winds and heavy rain here since lunchtime. The wind is due to drop later this evening, but the rain is forecast to continue right through to tomorrow afternoon.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Anyone do better than that?
Its the standard oap price. I have a full head of hair and they use the zapper to give me a 2&4 which only takes 10 minutes.
Mine is between £7-15 depending on what I have done. Straight haircut is £7. I have No.2 back and sides, eyebrows and everything off the top. The guys do a really good job and take about 20 minutes over someone who is folically challenged.

If I have the "works" - haircut, beard, ear and nose wax,** it's £15. I go to a Turkish barber called Turkish Hairlines.

** you read it right!! Nose and ear hair waxed - lasts about 3 months.

Great barbers. Turkish men expect to be well treated in the barber shop. The bloke down the road is £5 and takes about 5 minutes.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I thought you were married!!!
Why are you out in the wind and rain doing jobs while you have a woman to do it.

I hope MrsD never reads that:rolleyes:

Top Bottom