The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tenkaykev

Guru
@Tenkaykev if I remember correctly (not guaranteed) you recently posted regarding acquisition of an e_reader, I think the name/make was Kobo?

May I ask, have you had opportunity to evaluate/play with yet? If yes, what did you think of it?

Hello, yes, it is a “ Kobo Aura HD” it’s not a current model but E readers just work year after year. The Kobo has a 6.8” screen. Screen is 300 DPI same as Kindle.
I read a lot, usually buying books from Amazon and keep my eye on the price of a book I'm interested in waiting for it to come on offer.

The Kindle has a proprietary format, Kobo will read the standard format for Ebooks which is Epub, plus a few other formats. This means that I can log into my local library which is in Poole, and borrow an Ebook. The same rules apply as to physical loans. You get to borrow it for three weeks and can renew the loan unless there is a waiting list for the book. You can also put in a reservation for a book if it is out on loan, and you are told how many days before it will become available to you ( there may be a few people in the queue to borrow it.

Having said all that, there are a few different loan systems across the country. " Overdrive " is one where I believe you can borrow a book directly from the Library using the Kobo. My local library has recently joined a consortium called "Libraries West " which uses software called " CloudLibrary " which works differently. Here is how I borrowed my latest book.

Log in to my local library online and navigate to the "Libraries West" Ebook Catalogue.
I have selected a filter so I'm only shown books that are available to borrow immediately.
I selected the book i want to borrow and downloaded it to the computer.
I have to run the downloaded book through a piece of software called " Adobe Digital Editions " which is a free download. This is a DRM style thing to prevent you copying the book.
I then plug the Kobo into the laptop and transfer it using the KoBo software.
Sounds a bit convoluted but it only takes a couple of minutes, and as I said, this is due to the CloudLibrary system.
Of course there are loads of other sources for E Books, and the Epub format is the standard.

I've taken a photo of my Kindle and Kobo side by side

Edit to add that there's " Project Gutenberg " a trove of over 60,000 free Ebooks

https://www.gutenberg.org/

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
UK Covid deaths rise 400% in a day.*
Lockdown! Lockdown!! Get it under control.

*Gone up from 1 yesterday to 4 today.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Hello, yes, it is a “ Kobo Aura HD” it’s not a current model but E readers just work year after year. The Kobo has a 6.8” screen. Screen is 300 DPI same as Kindle.
I read a lot, usually buying books from Amazon and keep my eye on the price of a book I'm interested in waiting for it to come on offer.

The Kindle has a proprietary format, Kobo will read the standard format for Ebooks which is Epub, plus a few other formats. This means that I can log into my local library which is in Poole, and borrow an Ebook. The same rules apply as to physical loans. You get to borrow it for three weeks and can renew the loan unless there is a waiting list for the book. You can also put in a reservation for a book if it is out on loan, and you are told how many days before it will become available to you ( there may be a few people in the queue to borrow it.

Having said all that, there are a few different loan systems across the country. " Overdrive " is one where I believe you can borrow a book directly from the Library using the Kobo. My local library has recently joined a consortium called "Libraries West " which uses software called " CloudLibrary " which works differently. Here is how I borrowed my latest book.

Log in to my local library online and navigate to the "Libraries West" Ebook Catalogue.
I have selected a filter so I'm only shown books that are available to borrow immediately.
I selected the book i want to borrow and downloaded it to the computer.
I have to run the downloaded book through a piece of software called " Adobe Digital Editions " which is a free download. This is a DRM style thing to prevent you copying the book.
I then plug the Kobo into the laptop and transfer it using the KoBo software.
Sounds a bit convoluted but it only takes a couple of minutes, and as I said, this is due to the CloudLibrary system.
Of course there are loads of other sources for E Books, and the Epub format is the standard.

I've taken a photo of my Kindle and Kobo side by side

Edit to add that there's " Project Gutenberg " a trove of over 60,000 free Ebooks

https://www.gutenberg.org/

View attachment 587186

Replying to myself as i didn't actually answer the question asked " What do I think of it?"

I think it is an excellent E reader. It feels a bit strange but that is because I've been using a Kindle for so many years, and my current one which is a Kindle Voyage for about three years. The Kobo is larger and doesn't slip in to the pocket in the same way but it's not unwieldy. I like the larger screen. It has the same controls as the kindle, just not in the same places. The ability to borrow library books and download books from a variety of sources is the "Killer"feature.
There wasn't a mark on the refurb unit that I got, it looks as good as new. It came from the W.H.Smith outlet store on Ebay, and has 30 day no questions returns.

postman

Legendary Member
Sorry to bother you wonderful people.But I found myself asleep in my chair in the conservatory.I have just been woken up by driving rain on the roof and windows.What month is it please.I do sleep deep and I am confused I might have missed summer.I will add it is hailstoning.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Sorry to bother you wonderful people.But I found myself asleep in my chair in the conservatory.I have just been woken up by driving rain on the roof and windows.What month is it please.I do sleep deep and I am confused I might have missed summer.I will add it is hailstoning.
Calm down, it's still only the 4th of May.
Don’t worry , you’re not Rip Van Postwinkle :laugh:.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
Replying to myself as i didn't actually answer the question asked " What do I think of it?"

I think it is an excellent E reader. It feels a bit strange but that is because I've been using a Kindle for so many years, and my current one which is a Kindle Voyage for about three years. The Kobo is larger and doesn't slip in to the pocket in the same way but it's not unwieldy. I like the larger screen. It has the same controls as the kindle, just not in the same places. The ability to borrow library books and download books from a variety of sources is the "Killer"feature.
There wasn't a mark on the refurb unit that I got, it looks as good as new. It came from the W.H.Smith outlet store on Ebay, and has 30 day no questions returns.
Thank you for such informative reply. Off to load up EBay!

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not a bad day weather wise except the wind has gone round to northerly again. No rain after yesterday's soaking.
Out early to get more bloods done and have a chat with the nurse who tends to be more forthright than the doctors probably because I have known her for years and she knows my reactions. Doctors we have are from a bank of about 6 I think and so the chances of seeing the same one twice running is a gamble.
Catching up on news from the German and Danish branches of the extended family took quite a while before trying to bring some order to the garden.
The bin lorry has been broken down for a couple of weeks now so the recycling bins have not been emptied. I loaned mine to a neighbour as they generate considerably more rubbish than I do.
General bin should be Thursday but I will just put mine out and see what happens next. I am chucking all sorts into it to save me a trip to the dump.
Saw the biggest and smallest on the water. A gigantic bulk carrier for gravel from Glensanda and about 12 jetskis came into the bay. No support vessel to be seen so perhaps they were land based. Nothing in the marina to suggest a support vessel. They are a pestilance anyway and have been banned from operating anywhere near the moorings.
In Oban they were castigated for playing in the wake at the stern of one of the ferries and generally being a nuisance.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Good morning mr Drago.
I fear Mo is lurking somewhere close.
Now, where to start as yesterday was busy busy busy.
Sad news first.
Ambulance for the (across the road) neighbour......she is only 51 but had a stroke early evening.....I do hope she is OK.
Bro and SiL came for lunch. I did a lovely (shop bought) chicken pie. To which I added steamed potatoes, broccoli and baby carrots..... it were right good!!!
Oh @Dirk my Bro brought 2 bottle of "Proper Job".....very enjoyable.
Sunny but very cool here.

Top Bottom