The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
-3 C with a 25 mph wind. Not too great for biking or a stroll. Today is Thanksgiving and gorging and drinking and watching football is what most people do. It will warm up to 7C, though. All that is left to cook today are green beans, mashed taters and the turkey. Not too bad. I will be allowed to prepare the beans, peel boil and mash the taters and pretty much cook the turkey so Mrs 12 will have an easier day.
BTW, the engine swap on my rototiller worked really well. The new 212cc Predator motor is considerably more gutsy than the old one was. I was googling the motor to determine what some bolt sizes were and apparently gokarters turbo chatge these motors to get 20 hp. I cannot imagine they last too long with that output.
Well, be safe and well. I fear in a few hours I will be semicomatose and groaning as I massage my distended abdomen.
You'll be moaning on the morrow. Especially when you see the amount of washing-up to be done.

Hello again you lot
been away for a few days - too much going on in that life that doesn't happen via a computer:eek:

anyway
2 busy days
yesterday grandkid no 3 (aka annoying child 3) was delivered by his parents at about 9:30 to be entertained and fed and changed
then AC 2 was to be met at their house from his bus from special school
the AC 1 needed picking up from after school multi-sport (aka football) at 4:20
then 'the parents' arrived back at 6 plus a bit (lot)

BIG news - baby had walked 4 steps with a walker and no support - first time ever
massive DRAMA with 9 year old due t incident with school uniform and sport club and over sensitivity and stuff - all duely avoided and sorted out by Pops (me) applyin logic and "trust in Mummy and Daddy" andbasic talking until drama stops

and SEN kid was basically happy and ate all his dinner - as usual with Gran and Pops -

so - basically - normal kids day

today - car had to go to have the windscreen washer bottle fixed due to leak - lot of money for a plastic bottle
garage seem fine - but have to get it from 'main dealer'
soooooo - seems reasonable
but the 'main dealer' couldn;t get it to then within 24 hours
more like a few day
sooo - Tuesday this week - so the garage suggest I book it in on Wednesday or Thursday because it WILL arrive Tuesday

annnnnnd
it did arrive Tuesday

at a garage in Kent

My garage rang and asked wher it was - were told it has 'been delivered'
they check in case someone esle had signed for it
then rang back and found the delivery address - $deity knows where they go tthat one from

so they were rather dubious it would jave got back to Honda and been packed up and sent off again to

probably

my garage in Widnes

anyway - rang this morning and it hadnot arrived
but they had been 'assured' it would arrive 'this morning'

arranged that they would ring me when it would arrived

they rang at about 3:30

which is the afternoon by my reckoning

anyway - jumped on the folding ebike (which I had got out and sorted) and rode up to get it

and drove it back with a wallet lighter by £200

for a plastic bottle and a water pump:eek:

but DAMN the washers work better

and it is the first fault on the car since I got it 5 or so years ago

so - kinda OK

still - busy day - had to have a bath to recover

OH - and Granddaughter (aka AC no 1) had an online Advent service at her (Catholic) school today

she was great - when we could see her

hopefully there isn't a nativity play

classic33

Leg End Member
Hello again you lot
been away for a few days - too much going on in that life that doesn't happen via a computer:eek:

anyway
2 busy days
yesterday grandkid no 3 (aka annoying child 3) was delivered by his parents at about 9:30 to be entertained and fed and changed
then AC 2 was to be met at their house from his bus from special school
the AC 1 needed picking up from after school multi-sport (aka football) at 4:20
then 'the parents' arrived back at 6 plus a bit (lot)

BIG news - baby had walked 4 steps with a walker and no support - first time ever
massive DRAMA with 9 year old due t incident with school uniform and sport club and over sensitivity and stuff - all duely avoided and sorted out by Pops (me) applyin logic and "trust in Mummy and Daddy" andbasic talking until drama stops

and SEN kid was basically happy and ate all his dinner - as usual with Gran and Pops -

so - basically - normal kids day

today - car had to go to have the windscreen washer bottle fixed due to leak - lot of money for a plastic bottle
garage seem fine - but have to get it from 'main dealer'
soooooo - seems reasonable
but the 'main dealer' couldn;t get it to then within 24 hours
more like a few day
sooo - Tuesday this week - so the garage suggest I book it in on Wednesday or Thursday because it WILL arrive Tuesday

annnnnnd
it did arrive Tuesday

at a garage in Kent

My garage rang and asked wher it was - were told it has 'been delivered'
they check in case someone esle had signed for it
then rang back and found the delivery address - $deity knows where they go tthat one from

so they were rather dubious it would jave got back to Honda and been packed up and sent off again to

probably

my garage in Widnes

anyway - rang this morning and it hadnot arrived
but they had been 'assured' it would arrive 'this morning'

arranged that they would ring me when it would arrived

they rang at about 3:30

which is the afternoon by my reckoning

anyway - jumped on the folding ebike (which I had got out and sorted) and rode up to get it

and drove it back with a wallet lighter by £200

for a plastic bottle and a water pump:eek:

but DAMN the washers work better

and it is the first fault on the car since I got it 5 or so years ago

so - kinda OK

still - busy day - had to have a bath to recover

OH - and Granddaughter (aka AC no 1) had an online Advent service at her (Catholic) school today

she was great - when we could see her

hopefully there isn't a nativity play
What'll you be doing in the remaining 40 minutes of the day?

rustybolts

pedalling tediously
IKEA , possibly the absolute worst retail experience there is .Fortunately Mrs JK and I agree on this .
Hopping around on my one good foot while my broken one is hopefully healing , I started assembling an Ikea double bed last weekend . It was an experience akin to microsurgery on a Meccano woman in labour ( if anybody remembers Meccano sets ) I remember folk here said "good luck with that " . They were not wrong . I finally managed to finish the damn thing without breaking it. Never again. Her indoors wanted a grey bed and Ikea were the only outlet that had one in stock . A monstrosity of chipboard rubbish disguised in grey. Kitchen units , beds bookcases etc have moved to trendy colours and natural wood is out of fashion. Women are being sold rubbish and loving it!!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
Morning. Was awake early so just got up. Better make the most of the morning before the wind and possible snow showers arrive later.

DPD delivery today as I decided to upgrade my ipad which is getting a bit long in the tooth. The most recent one is getting good reviews for speed and screen quality so hoping I’ll notice the difference. I use it a lot so don’t mind the expense too much.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Morning all :hello:

Yay.....it's Fish Friday :hungry::cheers:
Taking old doggie for a walk first then having a stroll down to the village. It's blowin' and rainin' out there!
Central heating boiler sprung a leak yesterday. I managed to contact a (supposedly) reliable and competent plumber /heating engineer who is coming out on Monday to sort it. I've a feeling we may be in new boiler territory - this one is 16 years old.

Dave7

Legendary Member
A quick hello BUT I warn you I will be back^_^
Yesterday was a complete washout with that fatigue. When it hits I sleep as in really deep heavy sleep.......so from 0600 till 1900 I must have slept 10 hours AND still slept well overnight.
So.....yesterdays planned Aldi dash was put on hold till this morning.
Oh.....its hissing down here.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Morning all. Dark. Biblical rain. Howling wind. The house is cold so heating switched on and I will start ironing shortly.

Slept from 10.15pm till 6.45am and feel much better for it.

I use eye drops to control/reduce pressure in the eye to prevent glaucoma. Recently I've been getting really fed up with using it. Ridiculous. I don't feel this way about other meds.

Will pop out this morning to deliver kit to club members. It's been a nightmare this year and the least I can do is drop kit off at their homes.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Morning all.
It appears to be windy and grey outside, no rain yet.
An early dog walk followed by some domestics, but I don't think it is a day for a bike ride, although I may have to pop up to the local grocers for some bits and pieces later.
Baton down the hatches for storm whatever it's called this time.
Enjoy your day peeps.:cuppa:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Good morning folks,
Grey and drizzly at the moment, I had an email from Brompton announcing “ Black Ride-Day “ , forget the shops, go out for a ride on your bike. We’ll certainly be avoiding Poole, last year the traffic was snarled up on all approaches, and as the bus station is in the town centre they were affected as well. A trip to the physio for Mrs Tenkaykev this afternoon, possibly with a detour to the brewery tap room afterwards.
stay safe folks 👍

Top Bottom