The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
The jerking-off JCB guys have been busy... The old Adamroyd mill site I mentioned recently has been comprehensively cleared.

I just found out that the new housing development seems to be going ahead. (As expected, otherwise the would-be developers probably wouldn't be spending all that money clearing the site. Unless of course they were legally obliged to?) There is a public meeting at nearby Todmorden Cricket Club on Tuesday for Tod residents to talk to the developers. I might go along and ask a few questions. I was wondering if they are putting electric vehicle charging points in for each vehicle space, and if not, WHY not! It would be nice if they put some secure bike storage in as well.

The local streets are already semi-blocked by parked cars, so I hope that they put AT LEAST 2 parking spaces per house on this new development because there is nowhere nearby that could take many more parked vehicles.

I took a look at some of the planning documents online. They mentioned that the large stone walls surrounding the site should be retained and repaired. Well, large stretches of them have now disappeared! Maybe the stone blocks are being stored somewhere off site and the walls will be rebuilt once the rest of the development has been completed?

The town does need more housing, and the derelict site was an eyesore. This 'brownfield site' is the kind of place that new housing should be built, rather than on some pristine meadow, just because developers find that more profitable.
There's no current application for that site. the last in 2007, for 45 houses, was withdrawn the following year, contaminated land.

1652536069629.png

1652536097647.png

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
There's no current application for that site. the last in 2007, for 45 houses, was withdrawn the following year, contaminated land.

View attachment 644667

View attachment 644668

Hmm... it sounds like they are preparing the ground (forgive the pun!) for another planning application then!

I find local history very interesting. I was just researching the old mill site mentioned above and found THIS. No wonder so many of the buildings in this area are leaning over! (A bit like Millennium Tower in San Francisco.)

This picture of a building in front of the mill site illustrates the problem...

Leaning buildings Tod.jpg

That is not a fisheye effect from the camera - the building actually IS leaning back as much as it appears to be!

A couple I knew used to live in a flat above the cafe. I went for a meal there and was shocked by how tilted over everything was. They gave me a post-meal satsuma. I placed it on the table and it rolled off, then across the floor to the corner of the room! :laugh:

D

Deleted member 1258

I found the bottom of the ironing basket this morning and once I'd done that we were of out, lunch at Jubilee Junction in Jubilee Crescent, dopey bus driver missed the stop and put us off the bus further down the road, good for us, we were right outside the cafe, after lunch it was back on a bus and into town to watch the parade put on for the city of culture, some shopping and some fun and games getting a bus home, road closures were causing disruption but we got home eventually, it was a good afternoon out in the sunshine.

classic33

Leg End Member

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I found the bottom of the ironing basket this morning and once I'd done that we were of out, lunch at Jubilee Junction in Jubilee Crescent, dopey bus driver missed the stop and put us off the bus further down the road, good for us, we were right outside the cafe, after lunch it was back on a bus and into town to watch the parade put on for the city of culture, some shopping and some fun and games getting a bus home, road closures were causing disruption but we got home eventually, it was a good afternoon out in the sunshine.

I don't have an ironing basket.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I don't have an ironing basket.

I have two, would you like one.......thought not :laugh: ironing-smiley-emoticon.gif

Sterlo

Early Retirement Planning
Well, I'm finally back in the land of the cyclist. 432 days since the accident and finally felt like trying to ride again. A tough 6.3 miles at an average of 13.8mph, not very far and not very quick but I did it on 2 wheels.:wahhey:The arm was a bit painful but I managed it, now to start slowly building up again. I need to work on my core strength as I lean on my hands too much, which is causing the pain in the elbow but it's a start.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Well, I'm finally back in the land of the cyclist. 432 days since the accident and finally felt like trying to ride again. A tough 6.3 miles at an average of 13.8mph, not very far and not very quick but I did it on 2 wheels.:wahhey:The arm was a bit painful but I managed it, now to start slowly building up again. I need to work on my core strength as I lean on my hands too much, which is causing the pain in the elbow but it's a start.

Excellent news. The most important thing you posted there is "felt like trying to ride again." Grab it and do it and everything will return in time. 👏

Last edited:
Top Bottom