The Retirement Thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Cooeeeee. 6 deg and dry.

Shopping day for us.

Stay safe peeps :hello:

Ahhh, could you do me a favour. As explained, I can't leave the house.
If I send you a list of what I need would you be so kind as do get them for me.
Obviously it will mean a slight detour for you but hey, that is what friends are for ^_^

Tenkaykev

Guru
Good morning folks,
A 10k walk into Wimborne to get some pitted dates and refill the shampoo bottle. Made a start on the Barm Brack by putting the fruit on soak last night. I am experimenting with using strong freshly brewed coffee instead of tea as the soaking medium, and a generous shot of kahlua instead of the usual whisky.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Morning all :hello:

More work on the Bantam engine today.
Yesterday, I went through the bottom end, lapped in the main bearings and shimmed the crank to get the correct end float.
Took a lot longer than expected. Today, I will disassemble the dummy build of the bottom end, thoroughly clean everything and then put it back together properly after I've assembled the gearbox.
I've lost count of the number of these engines I've rebuilt over the years. Did the first one when I was 14.
Should be a nice little bike when it's done. Bought for £850, spent £150 on it and it'll be worth about £1800 when finished.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
My weather ap said it was going to be nice today but it looks like it's going to pour down.

Dave7

Legendary Member

Yesterday, I went through the bottom end, lapped in the main bearings and shimmed the crank to get the correct end float.
Took a lot longer than expected. Today, I will disassemble the dummy build of the bottom end, thoroughly clean everything and then put it back together properly after I've assembled the gearbox.
I've lost count of the number of these engines I've rebuilt over the years. Did the first one when I was 14.
Should be a nice little bike when it's done. Bought for £850, spent £150 on it and it'll be worth about £1800 when finished.

I always say, you cant beat having a clean bottom end :blush:

gavroche

Getting old but not past it

You are from the old school when mechanics could strip an engine and replace any parts. Nowadays, the so-called techniciens wouldn't have a clue where to start. They just swap one for another. Without their electronic diagnostic gear, they are lost. Good on you.

screenman

Legendary Member
Morning all. I seem to be getting out of bed later each day. I have a couple of jobs today for some very nice people, then a long swim tonight.
I did not get the tyre bought that I was going to do yesterday. I am thinking of upgrading the winter/wet day bike to tubeless with inserts. The total price is going to be around £220. I cannot think what is holding me back from pressing buy.

Top Bottom