The rudeness of some people.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Welsh wheels

Lycra king
Whilst waiting in my doctor's surgery this morning, I witnessed three separate people be rude and borderline abusive to the reception staff. I was quite shocked. One mother with young children even stormed out and slammed the door. Their grievances seem to range from having to wait an hour for an appointment to having missed the appointments for that day. I was raised to be polite to everyone even if they might be in the wrong. I especially wouldn't want to want to be rude to any sort of medical staff, who are often lovely and selfless people. Rant over. Call me a self-righteous uptight if you want.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Your right , good manners are free .

But on odd occasion some staff can be intotolerably officious..post office staff etc..
You feel like treating them with contempt sometimes..tho 2 wrongs don' make a right

OP
OP
Welsh wheels

Welsh wheels

Lycra king

But on odd occasion some staff can be intotolerably officious..post office staff etc..
You feel like treating them with contempt sometimes..tho 2 wrongs don' make a right
Yeah but what gets me is that the all the receptionists in the doctors are lovely and don't deserve abuse. People need to be less selfish and realise that they aren't the only person in the world that needs to see a doctor.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I used to do a pharmacy collection run in the days before electronic, at many surgeries in another job. The company I worked for was very particular and said none of this barging in as couriers or other companies do, parking on driveways or double yellows, just queue and wait. For long periods of time. Stood queuing for 5-10 mins per surgery, sometimes more, occasionally less. Several days a week. For a lot of surgeries. You saw a lot of variations in surgeries, some that were insanely over subscribed, some that seemed not to be, some that were run well, some that weren't. A lot of decision fatigue. A lot of caving in and doing favours for people so they don't kick off. People actually kicked off. Some very odd questions asked to reception staff.

Absolutely nothing in comparison to what one sees in retail though.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I A lot of caving in and doing favours for people so they don't kick off.

My GP told me that in many instances being rude, or at least complaining loudly, works.

marinyork

I guess when you're feeling ill or, worse, you kid is feeling ill, it can be hard to be as polite as you usually are

No excuse of course, but perhaps an explanation. I've certainly been "abrupt" when I've been in a stressful situation. And regretted it later

Abrupt to me suggests a situation where the visitor isn't immersed in the environment they are in and unaware of the etiquette or needs of the other person who spends most of their time in that environment (and perhaps a bit or even a lot of the other way around). Abrupt doesn't really do any real harm and can be resolved within seconds as people tune back in.

The situation I see is totally different to abrupt, it's wanting instantaneous solutions. I don't want to ring 111, I don't want to go to the doctor, I don't want to ring the surgery (especially), I want it (whatever it is) now, now, now. At my work we have a policy of meeting or greeting the patient within 10 seconds (a very quick wait). As time has gone on and especially this year it's become more common to notice (I can see the patient before they arrive) people wrapping aggressively on the desk, making strange noises, coos, grunts, swearing or even quite inappropriate comments. Within 2 or 3 seconds.

Dave 123

Legendary Member
I was talking to a colleague today, his wife works in an M&S food hall. The Christmas rudeness has already started with people ranting about wanting to collect their order at early o'clock on Christmas Eve.

Some customers are becoming irate when they learn that Sunday trading hours will apply as it's a Sunday. They're pointing them in the direction of the government.

marinyork

I was talking to a colleague today, his wife works in an M&S food hall. The Christmas rudeness has already started with people ranting about wanting to collect their order at early o'clock on Christmas Eve.

Some customers are becoming irate when they learn that Sunday trading hours will apply as it's a Sunday. They're pointing them in the direction of the government.

Yup. Don't miss a second of it.

bozmandb9

Insert witty title here

You're right. I'm all for courtesy and good manners. But sometimes GP reception staff seem to act so incredibly officious and superior, it does one's nut in!

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
They do seem to be a breed apart IME. It got so ridiculous in my attempts to take pressure off my practice by utilising my private cover, only to be told that I had to wait over 3 weeks to see a doctor in order that I could then be referred for a condition I had already been examined for, that I complained to the CQC. It was utterly, utterly ridiculous. Funnily enough I then got a call and referral immediately afterwards.

It doesn't need to be like that, but the receptionists simply wouldn't listen.

Top Bottom