The rudeness of some people.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew_P

In between here and there
My GP Reception have switched to fully Automated. Its a bit of a pain getting through to it. Once Through my "account" has been marked as permanent urgent and always 20min appointments and anytime available same day with my GP. She is great if nothing on auto I can still normally get through to reception and as long as I get them to look me up first they are polite and will even contact my GP and get back to me with a slot even if fully booked she will see me lunch time, closing time. I can't ask for more than that, not that I really want to be treated like that!

What used to irritate me was the Reception deciding how urgent I was, if you look at most reviews for GP's the single biggest gripe are the gatekeepers being over zealous.

Andrew_P

Same problem when they've phoned to say "they" need to see me and could I get there today. Answer Yes, I'm put through to appointments, who unless I say it's an emergency, say there's nothing available!

They can't say over the phone who needs to see you or why, but for them to phone and say that you need to be seen there must be something wrong.
My other gripe was with blood tests etc., the facking receptionists would call and say GP wants to see you, tell me what was unusual about my blood tests then give me the appointment. Fack that, I interrupt them now and tell them I don't want to know let the GP tell me about it. Spending a few hours or even 24h furiously Dr Googling I can do without that! I used to call and ask about my bloods or test and the receptionist were quite happy to tell me, again fack that. I now gues when they are back and make my appointment with GP

Andrew_P

You mean the Appointment Prevention Operatives?
To be fair I would bet its an instruction from the Partner GP's in every weekly Team meeting because if its not they would do something about it. Either that or if you let too many through you get a bollocking if its not of the above its sheer bloody mindfulness, which I have a bit of faith in human nature and assume its not. Or they are battle weary from the barrage of aggressive people so take the auto stance of aggression.

classic33

Leg End Member
My GP Reception have switched to fully Automated. Its a bit of a pain getting through to it. Once Through my "account" has been marked as permanent urgent and always 20min appointments and anytime available same day with my GP. She is great if nothing on auto I can still normally get through to reception and as long as I get them to look me up first they are polite and will even contact my GP and get back to me with a slot even if fully booked she will see me lunch time, closing time. I can't ask for more than that, not that I really want to be treated like that!

What used to irritate me was the Reception deciding how urgent I was, if you look at most reviews for GP's the single biggest gripe are the gatekeepers being over zealous.
Been twice in the last year, reaction to medication and a second minor problem. NHS Direct got that one made.

Retail has been mentioned, especially the final few days before Christmas. Worked in a shop which ran a Christmas Club, devious means employed for some with regards what they wanted(person for whom it was intended alongside), clear rules that no pick ups on certain days went ignored. Leading to "I've paid for all this, I'm picking it up when I feel like it, not when I said I would!" exchanges. Working between five floors meant this approach wasn't easy.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I don't like rudeness, and, in my experience, for the most part, the NHS is pretty good (although, not world beating, as our Politicos would like us to believe).

But.... there are, sadly, a significant minority of NHS Staff who need the word "Service" explained to them.

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't like rudeness, and, in my experience, for the most part, the NHS is pretty good (although, not world beating, as our Politicos would like us to believe).

But.... there are, sadly, a significant minority of NHS Staff who need the word "Service" explained to them.
They get fast-tracked to senior positions.

petek

Über Member
The sandwich lass from our village shop got a job on reception at the village GP surgery earlier this year.
Quality of sandwiches plummeted and has yet to recover.
She's MrsP's bestie and has been shaken to the core by how nasty some people are in the surgery to her who were as nice as pie when she was serving them sandwiches in the shop.
It's not on being rude to receptionists anywhere, they have a hard enough job as it is.
Manners cost nowt.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
The sandwich lass from our village shop got a job on reception at the village GP surgery earlier this year.
Quality of sandwiches plummeted and has yet to recover.
She's MrsP's bestie and has been shaken to the core by how nasty some people are in the surgery to her who were as nice as pie when she was serving them sandwiches in the shop.
It's not on being rude to receptionists anywhere, they have a hard enough job as it is.
Manners cost nowt.
I see what you did there.:smile:

petek

Über Member
Didn't watch it but was amazed by the ads.
Documentary series on telly a while ago all about people kicking off and ranting at employees in public in airports and suchlike.
How is that entertainment?

I think part of the problem is the old spirit-of-the-blitz/mustn't-grumble/soldier-on attitude. Complaining politely is a skill that is learnt and we have a way to go. Even in '99** I saw people putting up with bad service, or just walking away muttering. Now they do complain, but the pendulum has swung wildly in the other direction with unmodulated attacks that teeter on the cusp of violence.

Maybe in a generation we'll know how to complain effectively.

**I think it was 1999, wanting to try on some clothes in Lillywhite's, there was a long queue waiting for a single cubicle, standing obediently silent. I said to a staff member "Why is there only one changing room in a woman's clothing department on a Saturday afternoon?" "There's two" she answered, and I realized there were 2 doors, not one. "Why are there only two changing rooms in a woman's clothing department on a Saturday afternoon?".She looked at me as if she wanted to kill me, but went and opened the other pair of changing rooms, and resentfully sat outside them, presumably for "loss protection". I was thanked by a couple of the waiting women, who apparently hadn't thought to or were afraid to complain themselves.

swansonj

Guru
Like probably most people here, I would be mortified if someone in a "service" role thought I was being rude to them. But if that someone is representing a system that is flawed, there can be a narrow dividing line between the person and the system.

I once turned up to a hotel at ten in the evening with a reservation but the reservation had been made by a travel agent and there was some technicality about the surname not matching or something. After the receptionist had made about the third telephone call to head office, I was expressing the view that he should just give me the room given that no-one was doubting that the reservation was for me and I was waving a valid credit card. I thought my tone was perfectly legitimate, indeed restrained, but he asked me not to be rude.

I still don't know if I was being rude or not

Top Bottom