The Russians are coming!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Are there any newspapers without spelling mistakes? 😂
Well the gruaniad for won!

OP
OP
D

Duc gas

Ãœber Member
There is quite a high proportion of Eastern Europeans in Fflintshire so makes sense - certainly a lot in Fflint as they have numerous 'Polski' corner shops - Mold is only 15 minutes by car.
You’re right there are lots living there and also Deeside, but few living in Mold, perhaps they know something We don’t yet 😄

It is a while since I visited Russia (1990's), but, unless things have changed, the sales model may include no stock on the shelves either ;)
I think it's changed since Boldon. I went in the 80s, pre the fall, and the lack of service/contempt from the staff in GUM was almost a piece of theatre to be savoured.

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
In most towns they have western-style Supermarkets among the local and more traditional stores. Most global and familar western brands/products and similar products can be found. Many of them are like the Sains/Tesco Locals we have here. Even a wide selection of foreign beers...but beware, the tills won't accept payment for beer after 10pm by law, then you have to go to some local booze-shack...it all get's a bit interesting from there and I don't recommend unless with a local if you wish to leave with your wallet intact.

When I was there, we used to frequent a kiosk in the town square, drinking something alcoholic, which, if I understood the "patron" correctly was made from fermented stale bread. We survived. ;)

BoldonLad

Not part of the Elite
I think it's changed since Boldon. I went in the 80s, pre the fall, and the lack of service/contempt from the staff in GUM was almost a piece of theatre to be savoured.

Yes, even in the 90’s it was bizarre. Empty shops; pay railway Porter to tell you which platform/time train left from, because signs were sabotaged, so, you had to ask; queue for 30 minutes to buy a stamp; make an appointment to phone UK (next day); levels of drunkenness I have not witnessed anywhere else. But, interesting and even a bit of fun. ;)

Yes, even in the 90’s it was bizarre. Empty shops; pay railway Porter to tell you which platform/time train left from, because signs were sabotaged, so, you had to ask; queue for 30 minutes to buy a stamp; make an appointment to phone UK (next day); levels of drunkenness I have not witnessed anywhere else. But, interesting and even a bit of fun. ;)
I still remember the magnificent polish creature in communist warsaw - I'd been queuing for half an hour to buy a train ticket - big logos at the head of the queues marked, or so it seemed, the functions of the queues - buses, trains, planes etc. I got to the head of the queue and she told me she didn't sell train tickets. What's that I said with something between triumph and desperation, pointing at her sign. "A picture" she told me with a flick of her blonde hair.
Agree about the drunkeness - desperate looking folk drinking awful awful yellow beer in a plain tiled rooms in moscow, and the most spectacularly drunk bloke I ever saw one night in the streets of Communist Budapest. I gather Marx was a bit of a pisshead - maybe it was the force of history.
I travelled a fair bit in the eastern block - a fair few memories of bizarre bureaucracy and retail - meant I had no illusions about the system. Last time I encountered anything similar was during the London Olympics when I strayed into a Hyde Park tent promoting Putins Sochi bribefest and had to escape.

Last edited:
Have you tried to tell a Polish person they are Eastern European?
Funnily enough, yes! It did not go down well. (We are still on good terms 6 years later ... )

I've worked with Poles, Bulgarians, Romanians (and know a few socially). I don't perceive a massive chasm between those countries.

My observation was longitude-based - there are vv few european countries that are much further east than Poland, but a very large number that are further West! (and look at their neighbours to the East - not exactly central european states, are they??)

MntnMan62

Ãœber Member
The only thing I see different about their model is that the products will be displayed on palettes. No frills. Well, that's not all that different. Costco sells products that way. Frankly, the only thing I thought Russia was good for was vodka. But since I LOVE vodka but drink Ketel One, Russia isn't really good for much of anything. And my ancestral lineage is mostly from Russia. Go figure.

Was in Moscow in the early 90's, just a brief stopover of less than a day, but enough time to have a mooch around. It was Feb, so definitely taters out there. We managed to track down the newly opened McDonalds, and had some pretty disgusting fast food garbage. Funny thing was they all wanted dollars, no rubles. Whilst doing the Red Square tour, my camera seized up, it was that cold. The local folk were driving round the iced up roads without incident - guess they're well used to it. Did a bus ride, and it was iced up on the inside - you had to scrape away a small area of glass just to see out. At the airport for departure, we gave away our local currency to a bunch of cabin crew, it was no use to us. Would love to go back again, but during the warmer months would be wiser.

Top Bottom