The sudden realisation of getting older lol :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
Today me and my ex brother-in-law tackled replacing the rear bumper of my car. The old one had seen better days with battle scars all over it caused from other car drivers bad driving skills. ( The usual Mr nobody backs into your car and drives off scenarios)
Sometimes though ,you dont realise that your getting that little bit older in life, and then one day and all of a sudden it hits you. Today was a prime example for me. There we were like a couple of teenage kids laughing and joking slowly dismantling my car just like we did, back decades ago with our old Ford's. Today though he was suffering with his bad back and I was with my bad guts and both wearing our reading glasses to unplug all the connectors :-) :-). We still got the mindset of our 20s, but looking at our physical state today it brought home were no longer spring chickens anymore :-)
It was still a great and productive day though tinkering around with my old tank of a car.

Last edited:

Julia9054

Guru
My moment was going to my eldest son's year 13 parents evening. As I queued to see his teachers, I observed the school hall full of clapped out looking middle aged people. It slowly dawned on me that I must look exactly the same. Lesson learned.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I got an ancient stereo amp out of storage to use with my digital piano when I don't feel like wearing headphones. It worked fine yesterday, which came as a surprise since I bought it secondhand in 1988 and it hasn't been used for over 10 years. (A lot of old electronic gear packs up when electrolytic capacitors 'dry out' (or soldered joints do)...)

I powered it up again today and, of course - it didn't work this time! There is an output relay which normally clicks in after about 3 seconds but I could hear that it didn't this time. I immediately found a photocopy of the service manual online. I got my tools out and started taking it to bits. It was full of dust, but at least the individual components were big enough to see and get at, unlike modern electronic gear which really isn't designed to be serviceable.

I was all set to do what I used to do 40-odd years ago - spend hours fault-finding and trying to get hold of spare parts, but then I had a sudden realisation ... I'm getting too old for this crap, and I would rather be spending the time riding my bike! :laugh:

I'm going to drop the dead amp off at the local waste disposal centre. I will probably be able to buy something similar for about £10 on eBay. I think my electronics hobby and subsequent Electronic Engineering degree can officially be consigned to the recycling bin of history! :hello:

For me it was the moment when people here went from using the informal German word for "you" and automatically started using "sie".

I think doing an apprenticeship at 35 normally associated swith 16 year olds then immediately afterward a professional qualification that you generally have to have some experience for, and which tipped me into a supervisory position made a big difference too.

It's a bit crap getting old, but it's better than the alternative..

Has the great advantage I can wind my kids up by going on about "Young people these days" and "It was so much better in my day" Except the latter doesn't work as they know I lived in a battered house in NE ENgland with rotten window frames and a leaky roof, and if I tell them about that I sound like Monty Pythons old grumps...

D

Deleted member 1258

45146913_2024842700943413_1720693099983798272_o.jpg

Levo-Lon

Guru
I feared 50 but felt fine. Then a few weeks ago got a foot problem. Instead of shrugging it off I'm limping and getting serious back pain.
My knees are playing up most of the time, and I felt exhausted cycling up one small hill yesterday.
My mind I'd still young and naive. The rest feels like it's letting me down.

Know what you mean.
Corn on my right foot.. tendonitis in my right Achilles, sore top of right foot.
Tennis elbow and a sore thumb!!
Ffs shoot me :laugh:

Top Bottom