The sudden realisation of getting older lol :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
On my last trip back to London four years ago we had a day at Southend on Sea. A walk down the pier for lunch at the café down there was followed by a ride back on the pier railway. It was full and I was standing by the door looking happily out to sea when a young Chinese lady got up and despite my protests insisted I take her seat. I felt a mixture of admiration at her thoughtfulness and horror that she thought I was too old to stand up.

classic33

Leg End Member
I recently met a "girl" I had gone out with before I met the present Mrs D (and we have been married 50 years). Now bearing in mind we havent met for well over 40 years she said.. ...."wow, you look so much older now".
My gob was well smacked.
Met someone recently that I've not seen since 1977 and was told I've not changed a bit!!

D

Deleted member 26715

We still got the mindset of our 20s, but looking at our physical state today it brought home were no longer spring chickens anymore :-)
Then when you get up the next day & you ache in places you didn't know you owned, my favourite place is just between the shoulder blades, I assume it's because in normal day like my arms are down/flat, yet under the car they are held upwards working tools.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I got an ancient stereo amp out of storage to use with my digital piano when I don't feel like wearing headphones. It worked fine yesterday, which came as a surprise since I bought it secondhand in 1988 and it hasn't been used for over 10 years. (A lot of old electronic gear packs up when electrolytic capacitors 'dry out' (or soldered joints do)...)

I powered it up again today and, of course - it didn't work this time! There is an output relay which normally clicks in after about 3 seconds but I could hear that it didn't this time. I immediately found a photocopy of the service manual online. I got my tools out and started taking it to bits. It was full of dust, but at least the individual components were big enough to see and get at, unlike modern electronic gear which really isn't designed to be serviceable.

I was all set to do what I used to do 40-odd years ago - spend hours fault-finding and trying to get hold of spare parts, but then I had a sudden realisation ... I'm getting too old for this crap, and I would rather be spending the time riding my bike! :laugh:

I'm going to drop the dead amp off at the local waste disposal centre. I will probably be able to buy something similar for about £10 on eBay. I think my electronics hobby and subsequent Electronic Engineering degree can officially be consigned to the recycling bin of history! :hello:
My old (1967 designed) QUAD 303s still sound fantastic,

wonderloaf

Veteran
A few years ago Mrs W and I went to Greenwich to see the Cutty Sark. We sussed out the entry prices beforehand so I got the correct money ready but when I went to pay it was a bit cheaper than expected .... result! It was only on looking at the receipt that we realised they had charged the OAP price for one of us. Now Mrs W is always being told that she looks younger than her years so presumably it was for me, and I was only 55 y.o. at the time :sad:

The really depressing thing was that a year or so later the same thing happened again, only this time when we took my Dad on a ferry ride from Southampton, two OAP fares + one normal adult fare. Oh how they laughed. :cursing:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
My old (1967 designed) QUAD 303s still sound fantastic,
I'm sure that there are still a lot of old amps working perfectly but 'capacitor plague' was a significant problem. A company that I worked for had a recall programme to swap out boards with unreliable capacitors on. Some poor technician had the unenviable job of desoldering thousands of dodgy caps and replacing them with good ones.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
Memory is one of the first things to go.
That & eyesight...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That & eyesight...
Ha - I was trying to work out why I was having problems reading with one pair of glasses but I couldn't read the number printed on them without them on ... :laugh:

(In the end, I went upstairs to fetch the pair I keep for reading in bed and I discovered that the useless pair are 1.0 and I need at least 1.5, and preferably 1.75 - 2.0)

D

Deleted member 26715

Oh I've just answered in another thread & thought of this one, I've just bought a Volvo, hands down I win :laugh::laugh:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Mine was a couple of years ago when i realised that I could no longer bound over the 5' wall into my back yard... after several failed attempts, I used my bike's top tube as a step. Handy things are bikes :smile:

Top Bottom