The sudden realisation of getting older lol :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davos87

Guru
When the delivery bloke from Parcelforce/DHL etc knocks with a perfectly liftable package and asks, “ Can you manage ok with that?”.
Never sure if he’s being polite or making a snap judgement on my physical capabilities based on the evidence in front of him.

pawl

Legendary Member
Turning 40 did it for me. They say it's just a number and life begins etc

.... but when it's the eldest daughter turning 40 it does make you feel a bit old.

I really looked forward to being 40,just so I could race as a veteran.Lot easier than getting accepted into TTS pre40 .I am making an assumption here as my fortieth year 33years ago
There are some very fast vets around riding TTs

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Me too,
I can't find my glasses, what did I do with them? No, wait a minute, I'm wearing them :smile:
Did that a few months ago. I drove away from the house one morning and thought, "Bugger, I forgot my glasses". Reversed along the road and suddenly realised I could see quite clearly because I already had them on :blush:

tyred

Legendary Member
I remember holding and cradling my youngest cousin when she was born. Three years ago she invited me to her wedding....

I remember "helping" my Dad carry out repairs on a MKIV Cortina and the first thing he'd always complain about when stuck his head under the bonnet was that it was too dark to see what he was doing and proceed to roll out the lead lamp. I used to complain about being blinded by the 40W bulb and couldn't understand why he needed a light as it wasn't dark.

I was changing brake pads on my own car on Saturday morning and the first thing I thought when I stuck my head under the wheelarch was that it's too dark, I need more light, despite being outside in (grey overcast) daylight. Now I understand why my Dad needed the light. I'm only 39!

It also occurred to me that a few of the people in my team at work are younger than my car....

Donger

Convoi Exceptionnel
I remember my old dad once saying that you never really feel like you are old, and that the moment when he suddenly realised that he was old was "when the thought occurred to me that the little old lady I'd just helped across the road was my wife".

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I struggle doing stuff on my car now after my back got busted. That and age. I get 'stuck' if ive slid under the car. Takes me an age to shuffle back out, especially if I've been in one position and my muscles have locked up. Could do with a slider and someone to pull me out by my feet.

I went to a school reunion last year, arranged for when we reached our 70s. When you see how old all your friends look, many of whom I hadn't seen for years, it brings it home to you how others see you.

I still have a photograph of ten friends in the sixth form when we decided one day after school to go to the local photographer. Two rows of five boys, every one of the five seated in the front row is dead.

On the positive side it was a good night, with all those I was friendly with in school having the same sense of humour as they did as teenagers in the 1960s. We have all aged more on the outside, than in our attitudes to life.

Top Bottom