The sudden realisation of getting older lol :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarkF

Guru
Getting stuff like SAGA magazine through the post.:sad:

I got an ancient stereo amp out of storage to use with my digital piano when I don't feel like wearing headphones. It worked fine yesterday, which came as a surprise since I bought it secondhand in 1988 and it hasn't been used for over 10 years. (A lot of old electronic gear packs up when electrolytic capacitors 'dry out' (or soldered joints do)...)

I powered it up again today and, of course - it didn't work this time! There is an output relay which normally clicks in after about 3 seconds but I could hear that it didn't this time. I immediately found a photocopy of the service manual online. I got my tools out and started taking it to bits. It was full of dust, but at least the individual components were big enough to see and get at, unlike modern electronic gear which really isn't designed to be serviceable.

:hello:

I got my old Cambrdige amp out yesterday, the modern Bose thing has gone "pop" and wired it up, nothing. As you say, great to work on, 6 screws off and everything clearly visible, I got lucky, it was just the 2amp surge fuse. A trip to the local PC repair shop and 40p later it's functioning.:okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Some years ago I took my (now late) mother to her brother's funeral. She met a school friend she hadn't seen for 60 odd years, and didn't recognise her at first: "But she's a little old lady!" she said in surprise. I didn't like to comment.
A middle-aged man came up to me after my dad's funeral and started chatting to me as if he had known me all my life. I didn't have a clue who he was. It turned out to be someone who had been a good friend of mine from when I was aged 12 until I was 23!

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Some years ago I took my (now late) mother to her brother's funeral. She met a school friend she hadn't seen for 60 odd years, and didn't recognise her at first: "But she's a little old lady!" she said in surprise. I didn't like to comment.
I recently met a "girl" I had gone out with before I met the present Mrs D (and we have been married 50 years). Now bearing in mind we havent met for well over 40 years she said.. ...."wow, you look so much older now".
My gob was well smacked.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I get called 'sir' a lot(usually in shops),usually by folk older than me (well they look older to me) who presumably think i'm older than them,which doesn't say much.:unsure:

Also,when i have a hospital appointment i now get asked 'Have you had a fall recently'? When you're younger it's 'have you fallen'?,but when you reach a certain age it's given a friendly recognisable name/title.:dry:

Last edited:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Think I have mentioned this on CC but 3 weeks ago a young woman (20ish) was telling Mrs D that he Dad was poorly. She said "but he is very old"
Mrs D was quite surprised so asked "how old is he"?
The girl answered......"he is nearly 52".
So at 71 what does that make me ???
(answers on a postcard please).

Globalti

Legendary Member
Apart from the growing list of aches and pains I certainly notice my age now on overseas trips; I find two weeks of intense travel and back-to-back meetings in a stressful, sometimes dangerous environment very tiring indeed. Looking back over my Sasco planners from 20 or more years ago I see that I used to do three week trips and sometimes even four. Madness.

Jody

Stubborn git
Iv'e not got to reading glasses stage yet (accommodation is going so can't be long now) but noticed the other week that kneeling on a carpet in the house has suddenly become painful. I now have a kneeling pad for working in the garden

postman

Legendary Member
It's when school kids step off the pavement near Sainsbugs to let me pass and when that young chap held the door open for me at a Costa and said there you are sir .Death where is your sting.

Top Bottom