The Times at it again..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hello,

from this 2007 hate-filled ignorance - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/whats-smug-and-deserves-to-be-decapitated-5k877kjgfpk - "A festive custom we could do worse than foster would be stringing piano wire across country lanes to decapitate cyclists". Matthew Parris that time.

Scroll on 13 years and its Rod Liddle's turn - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/the-bbc-is-doing-its-job-again-all-it-took-was-thousands-of-deaths-and-a-useless-cabinet-p2w2vrh0s6 - "My wife has persuaded me that, strictly speaking, it is against the law to tie piano wire at neck height across the road. Oh but it's tempting.."

Perhaps Liddle turns it round and redeems himself in the rest of his comment piece, but I'm not paying to find out.

Do you think, editorially, you could stop legitimising and disseminating the dangerous aggression people on bicycles all too often face on UK roads?

Best wishes

QC

I invite you all to complain to feedback@thetimes.co.uk and inquiries@ipso.co.uk

• Wow
Reactions: C R

stowie

Legendary Member
Can I be somewhat more generic and just complain that Rod Liddle is a daffodil?

alicat

Legendary Member
I read the whole piece - it rambles a lot and generally concludes that the BBC is having a good pandemic. Or something.

classic33

Leg End Member
Hello,

from this 2007 hate-filled ignorance - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/whats-smug-and-deserves-to-be-decapitated-5k877kjgfpk - "A festive custom we could do worse than foster would be stringing piano wire across country lanes to decapitate cyclists". Matthew Parris that time.

Scroll on 13 years and its Rod Liddle's turn - https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/comment/the-bbc-is-doing-its-job-again-all-it-took-was-thousands-of-deaths-and-a-useless-cabinet-p2w2vrh0s6 - "My wife has persuaded me that, strictly speaking, it is against the law to tie piano wire at neck height across the road. Oh but it's tempting.."

Perhaps Liddle turns it round and redeems himself in the rest of his comment piece, but I'm not paying to find out.

Do you think, editorially, you could stop legitimising and disseminating the dangerous aggression people on bicycles all too often face on UK roads?

Best wishes

QC

I invite you all to complain to feedback@thetimes.co.uk and inquiries@ipso.co.uk
The 2007 story linked to has been amended, and an apology given. Which could have been mentioned by yourself.

OP
OP
qigong chimp
.. or you can read the 'apology' - half hearted, wrung from him only after concerted protest, inadequate, and frankly dishonest given the humourless venom with which he unloaded on "insolent jerk" cyclists: all things you could have mentioned by yourself - via the link I gave, saving me the need to mention it myself.
Anything else you'd like me to mention?

classic33

Leg End Member
.. or you can read the 'apology' - half hearted, wrung from him only after concerted protest, inadequate, and frankly dishonest given the humourless venom with which he unloaded on "insolent jerk" cyclists: all things you could have mentioned by yourself - via the link I gave, saving me the need to mention it myself.
Anything else you'd like me to mention?
If it hadn't been read, I'd not have known about the piece itself being adjusted/edited.

You could always link your two posts on this.

OP
OP
qigong chimp
The piece itself wasn't/hasn't been adjusted or amended. Disingenuousness from The Times; it has merely been prefaced with an 'apology', of sorts.

Had I not given the link I might understand your pedantry. Ought I to have linked to it, and cut and pasted it, and given a summary? Or might it be candid enough to link to a piece where people can read for themselves the retrospective 'apology'?

Or, I could leave my two posts un-linked and you could desist from your strange - though not in the sense of being interesting, you appreciate - micro-aggressions.

classic33

Leg End Member
The piece itself wasn't/hasn't been adjusted or amended. Disingenuousness from The Times; it has merely been prefaced with an 'apology', of sorts.

Had I not given the link I might understand your pedantry. Ought I to have linked to it, and cut and pasted it, and given a summary? Or might it be candid enough to link to a piece where people can read for themselves the retrospective 'apology'?

Or, I could leave my two posts un-linked and you could desist from your strange - though not in the sense of being interesting, you appreciate - micro-aggressions.
It was the other thread you posted, the same link into, that was read first.

Which makes this seem odd, given you started this thread, where you say there's a thread about it.

No micro aggressions, just genuine puzzlement over someone posting the same link twice.

OP
OP
qigong chimp
Puzzle on this, then, Father Brown: this morning I had two poached eggs on toast.
This is how it happened: I had a poached egg on toast, discerned I had room for another poached egg on toast, so had me another poached egg on toast.
Solve the bones out of that.

Top Bottom