The Tractor and machinery thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
We had a little grey Fergeson TE20 on our farm. We upgraded to a Ford with forend loader. The Fergie goes for about £2.5k, so it holds value quite well and is still a usable tool on a small farm.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
It's a muck fork or are you coming out as a happy hay eater?
No, but he is.

bYnHC1m.jpg

Thanks for the ID. After posting, I was slightly afraid it might be something less savoury (if no less useful).

Last edited:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
There's not many 14 year olds who can say they got a 1959 Massey Ferguson for Xmas... but this one can.

View attachment 512940
I was a Saturday boy on a farm which had a little grey Fergie - the previous model to your one.

That was in the mid 1970s, and the Fergie was still a good tractor for light use.

No footplates on the one I used, just pegs.

Dual fuel, we started ours on petrol and ran it on paraffin.

I would often forget to switch back to petrol prior to stopping.

This meant emptying the fuel filter bowl of paraffin before starting next time.

No big deal, although the farmer didn't like me wasting an eggcupful of fuel.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
My grandparents were lifelong farmers and had a few bits of machinery dotted around the farm including an old rusting spider filled Rover 3500 car. The old red tractor I can picture but couldn't begin to name.

Great - happy childhood days :okay:

I'm a first generation farmer - it's in the blood - but unfortunately a farm or even land wasn't there to be had - so this place has only been a 'farm' in its own right for less than two decades.

However, I do. already have an ancient potato spinner, in the orchard, awaiting a refurb - it's of such a vintage that it has a solid oak drawbar. :rolleyes:

If I remember - and anyone's interested - I'll take a pic when I'm up there :blush:

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
The headmaster of my school would tend to the woods with an Allis Chalmers B like this. To eight year old schoolboys, it was simply the most exotic piece of machinery on the planet. View attachment 513120
There was one of these on the farm I worked for which had the little grey Fergie.

My use of the Allis-Chalmers was restricted because they had a high centre of gravity and narrow track which made them easy to turn over for an inexperienced driver.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Needs some fettling, but should be OK 👍🏼

I reckon you're right, built to outlast me,
but I won't be needing it this season, so it will have to come a long way down a long list of things that need fixing / revamping.

1. Being the rabbit fence..

I'd swear some are the size of ponies this spring. :blink:

If I was any kind of shot, they'd be in the pot. :rolleyes:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
They’re making good eating round here. Sorry @anothersam

I would recommend Tornado rabbit wire. Very well galvanised. Bunnies eat through the cheap stuff in time. Tornado doesnt rot so badly when buried. In our forest fencing malarkey we use drop traps too, which are very effective. Your web browser will lead you via rabbittrap.

That spinner just needs a wire brush...

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
They’re making good eating round here. Sorry @anothersam

I would recommend Tornado rabbit wire. Very well galvanised. Bunnies eat through the cheap stuff in time. Tornado doesnt rot so badly when buried. In our forest fencing malarkey we use drop traps too, which are very effective. Your web browser will lead you via rabbittrap.

That spinner just needs a wire brush...

Ta, will take a look, the local farmstore is running low on lengths..

Lots of people suddenly building chicken runs I guess.

Didn't bother with burying it last time around.. 13 years ago..

Just L shaped it outwards, wired it down intermittently, and the grass grew through fixed it down quick enough,

2 km of trench digging otherwise:blink:

It wasn't the wabbits that initially breached the defences.

It was them pesky badgers - being wily sods they take three steps back - and start digging from outside of the line of horizontal chicken wire .

After my very tasty sweetcorn..
And broadbeans.

The wabbits just took advantage, of the ready made runs.

Hey ho, never a dull day in our 'battles' with nature.

Seems ironic whilst I'm at the same time trying to do my bit for the ecology..

Always a fine line _______:sad:

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
2 km of trench digging otherwise
Drop on a single furrow plough somewhere. There will be someone with just the job in a hedge near you. Makes light work of trenching. Rip it out one way, bury it the other. I’m on very sandy soil here, so the little blighters find all manner of ways to circumvent the defences.
This year’s batch seem bigger than ever - it’s like an Aardman animation on my boundaries some mornings.
Roe deer up here do all the damage. I have a tree nursery and field-scale salads / cut flowers as a sideline, and deer are beyond annoying.
My local butcher buys all the rabbits I can shoot; otherwise he has to ship in French farmed rabbits. So at least I’m saving a few freight miles? Always perilous, the green line.

Top Bottom