The Unattached - they give us all a bad name

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
From the Glasgow Evening Post - Wednesday 04 October 1893

A PROTEST AGAINST FURIOUS CYCLING.
Furious cycling in the Metropolis has at last aroused the National Cyclists' Union into action. In a circular letter to its members the London Centre rightly says that the time has come when A STOP SHOULD PUT TO A PRACTICE which brings discredit upon the whole body of cyclists and is fraught with much danger to all users of the road. Clubs are requested to urge upon their members the desirability, when passing through the streets of a town, and particularly the main thoroughfares of London and its suburbs, of riding cautiously, and moderate pace. With an eye to unpleasant possibilities, the Union points out that “a continuance of the practice complained of must inevitably, sooner or later, result the passing of stringent laws to regulate the conduct of cyclists, which would press most heavily on all riders, and not the least so on those who now, often through mere want of thought, are the chief offenders. It is obvious that the best way to maintain our present exemption from taxation as cyclists, and our rights and privileges on the road, is to win public opinion to the side of cycling, and not to alienate it by showing disregard for the ordinary courtesies life and for the safety of pedestrians, as is now too often the case.” Members are also ASKED TO USE THEIR INFLUENCE with the unattached,” who are by far the most reckless of wheelmen, being responsible only to themselves.

1662119172946.png

Last edited:

byegad

Legendary Member
I used to dream of getting a ticket for furious cycling. Sadly these days the best I can manage is 'Slightly Miffed'.

mustang1

Guru
Its a good idea to have the public on the side of the cyclist but lets face it, even if every single cyclist followed the law, it still would not be enough. There will still be calls of "they pay no road tax!".

What NEEDS to happen is an advertising campaign informing the public that no road tax for cyclists is due to:
A. Lack of pollution by cyclist (£0 tax)
B. The cost to fund the road tax would come out of the pocket of the car driver.

On top of that, a separate campaign showing the percentage of drivers who flout the speed limit, jump red lights and park on double yellow lines "I'll only be a minute gov, promise!".

Ps. I think i commented on another thread and my post was deleted because of some rule but since i have a memory like a siv, i cannot recall what i wrote. I hope this post does not flout any rules but if it does, mods please feel free to delete it. (No harm was intended).

PK99

Legendary Member
Its a good idea to have the public on the side of the cyclist but lets face it, even if every single cyclist followed the law, it still would not be enough. There will still be calls of "they pay no road tax!".

What NEEDS to happen is an advertising campaign informing the public that no road tax for cyclists is due to:
A. Lack of pollution by cyclist (£0 tax)
B. The cost to fund the road tax would come out of the pocket of the car driver.
https://www.racfoundation.org/motoring-faqs/economics#a17

Q17) How much do motorists pay in direct motoring taxes and other taxes?

A17)
The taxes that are most directly linked to motoring are Vehicle Excise Duty (VED) and Fuel Duty. Latest figures show that in 2020/21, VED generated around £6.9 billion (similar to the previous financial year) and Fuel Duty about £20.9 billion (down about £6.6 billion from the previous financial year as a result of reduced traffic levels due to the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Fuel Duty revenue more than tripled between 1987 and 2010. It had remained around the £27/28 billion level until the 2020/21 financial year.

In 2020/21, these two direct motoring taxes produced just over 3.5 per cent of all taxes and duties collected in the UK.

Source:
DfT Table TSGB1310

Q18) How much is spent on roads?

A18)
Latest figures show that in 2020/21, about £12.5 billion was spent on national and local roads in the United Kingdom.

Source: DfT Table TSGB1303

OP
OP
Dogtrousers

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
There's so much to unpack in that article, but the main summary is that there's nothing new under the sun: problems which had existed for some time before 1893 ("has at last") still exist today. :rolleyes:

This was my exact thought. The threat of "stringent laws to regulate the conduct of cyclists", reference to taxation, the whole "give us all a bad name" thing.

If you update the language a bit it could all have been written yesterday, not 129 years ago.

byegad

Legendary Member
Give up the recumbent, you're passing under the radar!

I once set off the radar speed indicator going into a local village, I was 7mph over the limit, of 20mph, as the road then climbs as you get into the village I was under 20 in yards.

Top Bottom