The unicorn has appeared for sale

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Aren’t you 5’7, so would be good but it’s miiinnneeee :okay:
Around that but I need a 90 stem on a 54 tt so a 55 would be pushing it,not like
A I could afford it. B ride it atm 😉

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
Its decent price for 11 speed, compared to equiv Shimano (and much cheaper than SRAM ones) plus once you've seen the light switched to a Miche cassette, you only need to replace the worn sprockets, not the entire cassette, as its generally only the teeth on the middle sprockets that get worn, so with regular cassettes you bin the whole thing for the sake of ~3 worn sprockets. Miche cassettes are all individual sprockets and spacers, not a big bonded lump.

As you've hinted above the cheaper option may be to swap in 10 speed off another bike and sell that with the Ultegra triple set up on it - whilst you or your LBS is changing one bike they may as well do two - might not cost too much extra. I'm not sure what is more attractive when selling that bike, Shimano triple or SRAM double, depends on buyer I guess, but if its a frame that could be used as a tourer, then a triple might edge it.

If you spread your miles out over your stable of bikes things wear less quickly...i.e.
I only run 11 spd on one bike, the best road bike, which doesn't get ridden in winter, as no guards, so the replacement cassette issue doesn't come around too often & KMC 11psd chains are cheap enough in "normal" times. The do-it-all gravel / winter road / light tourer seems to gets ridden the most and its 10 spd and has 2 sets of wheels.

Being nerdy I'd I've just checked veloviewer year to date stats, I have done a smidge over half my miles on the gravel bike, c20% on the best road bike and 30% on one or other vintage steel bikes - the balance of those is normally reversed, but I had a shifter break on the best road bike so rode my steel ones more whilst I got that sourced and replaced, and one of the steel bikes I bought & did up this year, so it got more attention!
The other bike has not sold with SRAM (Apex) at two outings on eBay hence maybe thinking Ultegra might have wider appeal. I really don’t think I’ll keep Ultegra, all my other bikes are SRAM, I’m more than happy with it. The question is do I go 11 speed SRAM with the bits I’ve bought. Apparently I might be able to change the freebody on a Hope hub to be 11 speed compatible. Need to talk to mechanic once the bike and everything has arrived!

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
The other bike has not sold with SRAM (Apex) at two outings on eBay hence maybe thinking Ultegra might have wider appeal. I really don’t think I’ll keep Ultegra, all my other bikes are SRAM, I’m more than happy with it. The question is do I go 11 speed SRAM with the bits I’ve bought. Apparently I might be able to change the freebody on a Hope hub to be 11 speed compatible. Need to talk to mechanic once the bike and everything has arrived!
I'm using 11 speed on a 10 speed Hope hub. It works if you use a cassette with a 34 tooth big cog. I've used Ultegra and now 105 cassettes.
The groupset is hydraulic, manual Ultegra but I've got Hope calipers to match the hubs and rotors but primarily because the bike has post mounts and Ultegra calipers are flat mount.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I'm using 11 speed on a 10 speed Hope hub. It works if you use a cassette with a 34 tooth big cog. I've used Ultegra and now 105 cassettes.
The groupset is hydraulic, manual Ultegra but I've got Hope calipers to match the hubs and rotors but primarily because the bike has post mounts and Ultegra calipers are flat mount.
I won't be able to with SRAM, the road mech will only take up to 32 as far as I know. I'm not fussed on having 11 speed, most of my miles are done on a bike with 10 speed Rival

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I've got short legs and a long torso as well, and prefer to go smaller frame - I could always put a longer stem on, but can't drop the saddle too far.
if anyone is particularly interested in the GF geometry, it can be found in here on p.4 https://ligneusbikes.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/condor_geometries_2011_rev51.pdf
A 58 would be far too long for me! I may need to drop to a 90mm stem from my usual 100mm but I'm sure I have one somewhere!

Alex321

Veteran
OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
I'd have been wanting the 52 in that. Almost identical measurements to my Cube in a 53, which I am very happy with.

I'm 5'9" but with short legs.
Surely you’d need a longer TT if your legs are short, height must be in torso?
I’m a little over 5’9 but 33-34” inside leg. My Eqs have 54.7cm TTs looking at the Geos

Last edited:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
ah hadn't appreciated you had an 10/11spd hub issue too! you could send those wheels on their way with the Ultegra on the other bike, but I'm guessing the Hope hubs are prob v nice and better than ones on the unwanted bike (which my not be 11sd compatible anyway) and you want to keep them.
You're right, take a breath, get everything together and have a good chat with the mechanic as to what is possible and what it entails & costs.

There isn't any great benefit of 11spd over 10spd, until a time comes you struggle to get hold of 10 spd spares, which is a few years off yet. If anything 11spd has sightly tighter adj / set-up tolerance.
There is though a benefit of having most of your bikes compatible (i.e. 10 spd SRAM in your case) so you can swap wheels & components around if needed / something breaks and you need to keep less replacement "stock" of chains & cassettes on hand.

I love the etched "lugs" on the Condor, its super lovely.

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member
ah hadn't appreciated you had an 10/11spd hub issue too! you could send those wheels on their way with the Ultegra on the other bike, but I'm guessing the Hope hubs are prob v nice and better than ones on the unwanted bike (which my not be 11sd compatible anyway) and you want to keep them.
You're right, take a breath, get everything together and have a good chat with the mechanic as to what is possible and what it entails & costs.

There isn't any great benefit of 11spd over 10spd, until a time comes you struggle to get hold of 10 spd spares, which is a few years off yet. If anything 11spd has sightly tighter adj / set-up tolerance.
There is though a benefit of having most of your bikes compatible (i.e. 10 spd SRAM in your case) so you can swap wheels & components around if needed / something breaks and you need to keep less replacement "stock" of chains & cassettes on hand.

I love the etched "lugs" on the Condor, its super lovely.
The other bike has disc brakes (albeit mechanical TRP Spyres so will work with mechanical shifters).

Currently 2 bikes are 10 speed SRAM (one rim, one mech disc brakes)...two are 11 speed SRAM (yep, 1 rim, 1 mech disc)...so not much compatibility :laugh:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Currently 2 bikes are 10 speed SRAM (one rim, one mech disc brakes)...two are 11 speed SRAM (yep, 1 rim, 1 mech disc)...so not much compatibility
:laugh: I'm equally bad. I have 11spd Rim, 10spd hyd disc, and 2 5spds, but one 700c / one 27" wheels. (ignoring single speed, folding and Mtb).

But I have sorted the OH so both hers are now 10spd Rim (after a 9 spd shifter died, her gravel bike got an upgrade)

Alex321

Veteran
Surely you’d need a longer TT if your legs are short, height must be in torso?
I’m a little over 5’9 but 33-34” inside leg. My Eqs have 54.7cm TTs looking at the Geos
I'm 5'9" with a 29" inside leg!

I think the stack is harder to adjust down than the reach is to adjust up, so if 5'9" is between sizes, I'd always go for the smaller bike.

I did think I might want to replace the stem with a longer one when I bought the Cube, but I actually find it very comfortable - but remember that until I bought that, I was riding a hybrid, so was used to a much more upright position than is the norm for road bikes.

Top Bottom