The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
There is a 2020 XC70, but I dont think they bring it to the UK where the XC90 and V90XC would likely compete against it. Shame, because it looks nice.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Gorran image?

Proto

Legendary Member
Had a 1989(?) G reg 740GL estate, auto, and iirc it was the 2.0l version. Stuck two extra seats in the boot for the toddlers and it became the family bus for many years. Absolute tank but very underpowered and drank like Richard Burton. We completely trashed it. Roof lining rotted and the foam stuff used to fall down giving everyone yellow dandruff. Loved that car and it has passed into family folklore.
My wife decided to drive it to Aylesbury one day even though a hose had ruptured and it had no coolant. Seized the motor. "Can you come and get it going, hurry, the shops shut in 30 minutes".
Got it fixed, cylinder head was fooked and it was back on the road for a while. Sold it for spares to some bloke for a couple of hundred quid, he even drove it away.

Moved onto a SAAB 9-3 for a few years then took over an 2006 V50 D5 auto estate from a friend. Great car, went very well and the 5 cylinder motor made a fantastic noise, but it was just a tad too small to be useful. Was also a bit thirsty.

Back in the early seventies my old man had a Volvo 164 saloon to replace a very early maroon XJ6, 2.8L. I think the Volvo was a pale yellow colour, very well equipped, nice car but not much of a head turner. Had it two years then he went back to a 4.2 XJ6L, fern green, which was great apart from the useless electrics and its serious drink problem.

Hicky

Guru
I didn’t realise the dpf was a dry system, pugs is some nasty eylos(so?) stuff that’s injected and was a service part(£££). My Ms loves the Ovlov so much when her car dies she wants a V40. I do love the red wine colour also.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The wet systems are ok if the engine is used appropriately, ie, not regularly for short journeys and regularly spun up good and proper. Because the XC is so big theres room to house the dry DPF, which I think relies and gas flow and vortices or witchcraft rather than an actual filtering medium, and as a result they are more tolerant of that sort of use and the systems are simpler and more reliable.

Fitted the roof crossbar and trusty old Mont Blanc bike rack to my XC today. By my reckoning this is the 5th car it's been on over the years, and after a wipe still came up looking like new.

Hicky

Guru
I was v lucky to get OE aero bars on mine when I bought it. I’m missing the dog guard though and eBay prices make your eyes water :blush:

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
The wet systems are ok if the engine is used appropriately, ie, not regularly for short journeys and regularly spun up good and proper. Because the XC is so big theres room to house the dry DPF, which I think relies and gas flow and vortices or witchcraft rather than an actual filtering medium, and as a result they are more tolerant of that sort of use and the systems are simpler and more reliable.

Fitted the roof crossbar and trusty old Mont Blanc bike rack to my XC today. By my reckoning this is the 5th car it's been on over the years, and after a wipe still came up looking like new.
Good fun getting a bike up that high! It makes me cringe a bit even putting the MTB on the '70.

Top Bottom