The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I was car sick in a Volvo240 estate 1980 ish. The front door pockets are voluminous.

I always fancied a 240 so my cheapy one I picked up this year is great. The door pockets are indeed impressive in size, but very fragile. On the plus side, easily removed to clean:laugh:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Am currently considering a C70 in T5 vintage - depends on whether the man says he can renovate the very dirty & stained leather.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Bugger it anyway. Discovered today I've no a/c, tried a vacuum and refill at Kwikfit, which worked, for a few hours until it leaked out, which I just discovered after dinner:sad::sad:. Their pressure test machine didn't pick up the leak unfortunately. So now to try and get it found and fixed.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Any good Volvo forums? I'm a member of the VoC club but their forum doesn't do it for me. I've signed up to Brickboard, but what an annoying layout.

Anywhere else worth a look?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
There are a couple of overseas ones (Matthews Volvo site/Swedesomething - both iirc), also a performance Volvo one, but tbh I haven't found them particularly good except when they bob up on a search. I stick with Volvo Forum, but agree it's not great.

I spend more time on Pistonheads on a very few threads I enjoy, seldom going near the bloodbath that is General Gassing.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Does anyone know or have access to a link to see if bumper/ radiator/ intercooler need to be removed for an A/C condenser change? D5 XC70 '09. Preparing myself for the inevitable. Mobile fixer coming Tuesday to do the UV dye test.

ozboz

Guru
3BE9D379-6ECF-4CE0-A279-5F19B996DBA3.jpeg

This is the one that would float my boat !

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
I learned to drive in a 245.
Don't be DAF...

I had a contract lease V70 for 3 years because they had a 'no-brainer' contract offer to get rid of an over-supply [in between Passat estates]... I was shocked how lots of [mainly] plastic things prematurely snapped or broke on it but the worst was the clutch return spring which snapped before I'd had it 18 months and had to drive back from Stockton without a clutch... so couldn't stop but could select gears without it, made it home on the A19 and had to kill the engine by braking to a stop on the drive.

Fortunately had included maintenance in the lease but that car must've cost Volvo Finance a fortune over 3 years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Good grief, who chooses a V70 with a manual box? Why have a dog if you're still forced to bark yourself? :laugh:

My Dad took 2 x v70s north of 200k miles with no faults beyond bulbs and a high level brake light screw work loose and fall out. He changed to XC90s after that, and hes on his third one of those with no failures beyond bulbs,

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Does anyone know or have access to a link to see if bumper/ radiator/ intercooler need to be removed for an A/C condenser change? D5 XC70 '09. Preparing myself for the inevitable. Mobile fixer coming Tuesday to do the UV dye test.
I think that it's possible to do this without removing any of the above, but there's different methods and approaches I've seen. There are a few videos on YouTube and none of them are the same as another.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Good grief, who chooses a V70 with a manual box? Why have a dog if you're still forced to bark yourself? :laugh:

My Dad took 2 x v70s north of 200k miles with no faults beyond bulbs and a high level brake light screw work loose and fall out. He changed to XC90s after that, and hes on his third one of those with no failures beyond bulbs,
Never had an automatic... never had a dog, well apart from the Volvo! :laugh:
Volvo Finance are the only lease contract company who've tried to charge for wear and tear, and money for scratch repairs, on return... fortunately I'd recorded the condition of the car when it left me, but they were 'difficult'.

Top Bottom