The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
Changing the subject while staying on topic, I can't help thinking my voluminous Volvo is the idea steed for a camping trip. Any XC or V70 owners use theirs for camping?
Not a 70, but a 60.

1589720929721.jpeg

We opted for the electrically-deployed towbar which is expensive but very cool... and very useful for a camping trailer or bike rack.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Is that a Vango?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I think its about 180 sheets to update yours at the dealer.

My 90 uses the later HDD system, and once the discs have been loaded they're not required. However, the DVD player uses DVD discs as normal - it doesn't interest me, but it keeps Mini D usefully quiet on a long journey.
Am trying to get a deal - it came fitted with 2x foc updates that were never used so I'm seeing what's possible in the spirit of good service.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
We opted for the electrically-deployed towbar which is expensive but very cool... and very useful for a camping trailer or bike rack.
Towbarupmanship. There's a thing I didn't know existed. I was chuffed that:
a. The new XC came with one fitted
b. It's got a little cover so my rusty ball can't be seen ^_^

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Changing the subject while staying on topic, I can't help thinking my voluminous Volvo is the idea steed for a camping trip. Any XC or V70 owners use theirs for camping?

Mine were both used extensively. Sometimes with a trailer tent on the back and 4 bikes on either the roof or the trailer. Whilst they are quite big inside, once the 6 man tent, fridge, sleeping bags and a dog are in, it's surprisingly snug. That said, the only thing I've found better is my VW camper.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
On towbars, I think they are a challenge on the R Design due to the twin exhaust arrangement. I DIY fitted both of mine, Volvo do a handy little 'Tow Module' that fits behind one of the rear interior quarter panels and does all the interface, no need for re-programming or splicing wires. Both the swan necks were de-mountable so if the ball wasn't fitted it was invisible.

keithmac

Guru
I could be swayed into Volvo territory for our next tow car.

Ideally needs a bullet proof auto gearbox, 2l Diesel or bigger, 2.1 ton tow limit, SUV again as my wife's got used to that now!.

Will have to do plenty of research after our last debarcle..

I've heard some Volvos had the same Powershift 6DCT450 gearbox as our Mk2 Kuga which was terribly unreliable, and talk of 163bhp engines again sounds same as ours (to be fair the engines been fine).

MarkF

Guru
I gave mine a good buff the other day. And the car too. Cracking on for 12 years old, 141,000 miles, and looks and drives like it came of the production line last year. View attachment 522918
I then had to clean daughters car as I splashed it while rinsing the Brick. Sooner she's back at work and that commoners Ford is off my driveway, the better.

I really ought to spray the driveway with agent orange.

What an eyeful.:ohmy: I thought they only came in silver or black, I like it.:okay: I wish I knew more about these cars, they've just totally passed me by but maybe I should stop looking at Honda CRV's (not "truck" enough) and Jeep Patriots (too grey & plasticky inside), quick look earlier shows decent early private ones around £3k with plenty of life left in them.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Avoid the pre late 2005 cars with the 163bhp motor that aren't badged D5 - the worst of the crop, regular and expensive fauly injectors and fragile 5 speed auto boxes and all getting elderly now.

You want the 185 with the 6 speed box, or the 200 if your budget goes to it. While superficially very similar the engine on the D5 is all new and differs in great detail (block, head, stroke, turbo, transmission all different, nothing interchangeable) and is much nicer. The downside is they gained a DPF, but the good news its it's the dry type and it's rare indeed that they cause problems,

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
My first XC90 ('55 plate) had the 163hp lump, a bit sluggish but otherwise OK. Can't comment on longevity since I parted with it after only 30,000 miles.
The 2nd has the 205bhp bi-turbo lump and was soooo much better, very rapid if pushed. Again, no idea on longevity sine I sold it with less that 20,000 miles on the clock.
Both my V70's have been petrol, 2.5 10valve lumps and bullet proof, the 2nd was in the 160,000 mile range when I got rid.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Aye, the biturbo D5 was a peach indeed. Mine is the 185, and while it's no rocket ship it's not a slouch either. I don't know the exact specs but the Polestar map adds 8 or 9 brake and another 30or so NM of urge and the engine response between 60, when the torque converter locks, up and 80 is a tidal wave of torque. When my Dad originally bought it the car had been ordered by the dealership as a demonstrator with dynaudio premium sound, summer, winter and protection packs and the polestar, but once my old feller got wind he'd bought it before it had even been delivered.

I've always fancied a T5 or R of some flavour, 850, V70, C70, but I guess it'll never happen now.

But the best bit about Volvo 5 pots of any kind is that off beat warble. Not quite a V8 sound but unmistakably more exotic than a four.

Edit - I've never looked into it seriously, but I do believe the quad exhausts on the R Design means the standard accessory towbar doesn't fit.

Last edited:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Oooh, the R's. I went for a used XC90, should have bought the last of the V70 R's, around the '56-'07 plate. I have a soft spot for the Phase 1 V70R's, but a good one without stellar mileage and 10's of owners is hard to come by on my budget. A few of the '03 plate ones out there, but as I found out, the auto box at that year was a knacker. My 2nd V70 had the worse auto box ever.

Hicky

Guru
I have yet to use my XC70 for camping but it’s used as a load lugger, I luckily had OE aero bars and I have a roof box. I have no doubt it would cope(probably better as it’s bigger internally)with camping in France as my previous 407sw managed well apart from a dpf issue.
I have a 55 plate Euro iii engine, I think the biggest problem is the “sealed for life” which causes so many problems with owners ignoring simple service considerations.

Top Bottom