The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I have yet to use my XC70 for camping but it’s used as a load lugger, I luckily had OE aero bars and I have a roof box. I have no doubt it would cope(probably better as it’s bigger internally)with camping in France as my previous 407sw managed well apart from a dpf issue.
I have a 55 plate Euro iii engine, I think the biggest problem is the “sealed for life” which causes so many problems with owners ignoring simple service considerations.
Yes.

Funny how the so-called 'fragile' or 'troublesome' AW55 autobox is only that way in applications where it's described as sealed for life. If it gets the requisite 60-70K (I forget exactly) ATF changes it's good for a billionty-seven miles, at least.

keithmac

Guru
Worth knowing!, do they have a sump plug or do you have to remove the sump to change oil?.

Sealed for life is just daft imho.

Hicky

Guru
Worth knowing!, do they have a sump plug or do you have to remove the sump to change oil?.

Sealed for life is just daft imho.
As far as I’m aware from looking on the Volvo forum it does have a dipstick but the refilling is a huge faf.
I got mine flushed and redone for £155 at a Volvo indy in Shaw(Oldham). I think it’s a similar price elsewhere, you’re better off googling it rather than me half arsed explaining it. If you’re mechanically minded it’s not too difficult but time consuming and tedious hence I just paid out.

keithmac

Guru
Not afraid of a bit of spanner work and do most things myself to make sure it's done right.

Just don't want to buy into another gearbox disaster due to poor design..

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Whatever the cause, the later 6 speed Geartronic box is responsible for far less failures than the old 5 speed unit. Interesting, Aisin Warner recommend occasional fluid changes but Volvo themselves do not - luckily my dad is an engineer and insisted it be done anyway, and properly pumped out and refilled and not just a drop and fill.

i remember well Keith's gearbox thread. I'm not afraid of the spanners, but reading that left me in a cold sweat.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Whatever the cause, the later 6 speed Geartronic box is responsible for far less failures than the old 5 speed unit. Interesting, Aisin Warner recommend occasional fluid changes but Volvo themselves do not - luckily my dad is an engineer and insisted it be done anyway, and properly pumped out and refilled and not just a drop and fill.

i remember well Keith's gearbox thread. I'm not afraid of the spanners, but reading that left me in a cold sweat.
'ere Drago, you said who'd get a Volvo with a manual engine... but these issues with autos don't sound great either!:sad:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I have yet to use my XC70 for camping but it’s used as a load lugger, I luckily had OE aero bars and I have a roof box. I have no doubt it would cope(probably better as it’s bigger internally)with camping in France as my previous 407sw managed well apart from a dpf issue.
I have a 55 plate Euro iii engine, I think the biggest problem is the “sealed for life” which causes so many problems with owners ignoring simple service considerations.
Ah, the 'Sealed for life' service interval. Sadly nobody knows what 'life' is. The gearbox oil on my '93 240 estate is a sealed for life service interval. At 180,000 miles now, and with small leak, I need to top up, so I'll do a flush. No chance, they actually glued in the fill plugs on '92 onwards 'boxes. I've not shifted it so far, the next step is up on ramps and welding a spanner to the plug, before persuading with a big knocking stick...

keithmac

Guru
Design is absolutely fine, no problems there.

Search Mannol on eBay for what's usually the cheapest source/brand of JWS3309, often from Germany.

There's plastic components where there shouldn't be there, I assume? (your 'box, that is)

Best treatises on the AW55 and later '80 box:
https://www.hortoncars.co.uk/blog/

If you've got a spare hour, this is my gearbox adventure with our Mk2 Kuga Powershift.

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/the-joy.508672/

As far as I know it's the only 2017 conversion ever done (just my bloody luck!), I couldn't rebuild the original and put plastic damper spring guides back in; just not my style..

I do not want to buy into that again, would finish me off..

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Ah, the 'Sealed for life' service interval. Sadly nobody knows what 'life' is. The gearbox oil on my '93 240 estate is a sealed for life service interval. At 180,000 miles now, and with small leak, I need to top up, so I'll do a flush. No chance, they actually glued in the fill plugs on '92 onwards 'boxes. I've not shifted it so far, the next step is up on ramps and welding a spanner to the plug, before persuading with a big knocking stick...
I think we do - it's the point at which the 'box is fubarred beyond economic repair :wacko:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
If you've got a spare hour, this is my gearbox adventure with our Mk2 Kuga Powershift.

As far as I know it's the only 2017 conversion ever done (just my bloody luck!), I couldn't rebuild the original and put plastic damper spring guides back in; just not my style..

If you get a good one (and the checks you'd do pre-purchase will tell you, happy to explain) then change the ATF and you're golden.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk

I'd previously read it. Was impressed/depressed in equal measure :sad:

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
'ere Drago, you said who'd get a Volvo with a manual engine... but these issues with autos don't sound great either!:sad:
Ah, the one part Volvo themselves don't manufacture is the one that breaks!

It's limited to 5 speed geartronic boxes from about 2000 to 2005, and even then it's not all that widespread, only notable by Volvo standards. Try owning a Range Rooney if you like bits falling off new cars.

Top Bottom