The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Ah, the one part Volvo themselves don't manufacture is the one that breaks!

It's limited to 5 speed geartronic boxes from about 2000 to 2005, and even then it's not all that widespread, only notable by Volvo standards. Try owning a Range Rooney if you like bits falling off new cars.
Yes but no but it's Volvo that breaks it though!

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Volvo - Tonka toys for grown ups!

Hicky

Guru
I had a MG diesel(basically a Rover25), from brand new when they first came out. Apart from trim falling off it constantly it was a reasonable car. Anyone with an ounce of common must know gearboxes need their oil changing unless “for life” meant this car will implode in 99k miles.

keithmac

Guru
You can get a nice xc60 D5 for £10k, will be keeping a look out (no this year but maybe next!).

What's wrong with the D4's out of interest?.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The D4's just aren't as nice or robust. The later ones with the Volvo 4 cylinder engine rather than the Ford one are markedly better. It's all gets confusing after 2010 where Volvo started to use Dx as a trim level rather than an engine designator, but to make things even worse they kept using it as an engine description on some models at the same time and didn't bring any coherence to the nomenclature until 2015, so always lift the bonnet to check what you're getting. The MK1 XC60 was also available with a small bore 2 litre 5 cylinder version of the 2.4 which was surprisingly sweet, but the 2.4 is the peach.

My new satnav discs arrived today, so I've loaded the first one into the device and it can start to chew on that while I drive to the opticians later.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Going to the cash and carry today. Bulk buying supplies is easy when you've got an XC to swallow the load. I may top up the diseasel while I'm out.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Collected new (our current 3rd) Volvo yesterday:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vawMCXgSgRUqoACs5

C70 T5 2007 with 128K miles and drives perfectly. Lots and lots of history, all receipted much from a Main Dealer :ohmy:, Michelin Piloty PlusMaxSpendy tyres all round (which is a shame because I do love a mix of unknown Far Easterns ditchfinders, but you can't have it all).

Claims to be doing 36mpg on the run back from Havant to Oxfordcestershire. SE Lux so many things to play with, and its Dynaudio sound is jolly good. A billionty-seven pounds in annual tax, plus a kidney and your first-born, but since it'll only run Easter-Oct who cares? (the S60 behind will run over winter)

Two grand, with only the very mildest of haggles from a very nice chap. Sometimes buying cars is easy.

Brads

Volvo sat nav updated. Took a good few hours, but it's done now. Very happy indeed.

I have the 2010 XC70 with sat nav. Never really used it, but how do you go about updating it (for free obviously :smile: ) ?

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I have the 2010 XC70 with sat nav. Never really used it, but how do you go about updating it (for free obviously :smile: ) ?
I think computer says no if it doesn't take discs - because whilst you can download the maps for free onto a USB, Volvo has to sell you a keycode before you can upload to your car itself.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
If it's the MMM unit that rises out the top of the dash there should be a CD reader somewhere.

And today I got my first ever XC90 owners wave, from a guy in an 05 plate 163 in dark grey.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Here's a thing. In the middle of the dash by the hazard button there's a thing. I should really go and photo it, but I'm comfy! It's a black plastic square about 2.5cm, with a brass-coloured metal square in the middle. It's definitely a Volvo thing because it is branded in tiny Volvo lettering embossed on the surround.

What's it for - any ideas?

Top Bottom