The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
The 240 lives again! Over a week ago I was driving home from a night shift and the brake warning light came on. Quick dab and they are working, the light went off. And then came on. Repeat for the journey home. A quick lookey and very low fluid. After a nap I found the seals blown on the clutch slave cylinder. The brakes and clutch share the same fluid reservoir, but being Volvo they have protected the brake circuit by having a raised pickup chamber for the clutch, so I'd have gotten home albeit stuck in gear..
After £28 on ebay, today I fitted a new clutch slave cylinder. Job done, and we're back on the road.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Planning my schedule for the week, I'll be servicing my Brick on Thursday. It had 800 sheets worth or major service and new belts a year ago, but that is only 3000 since, so a minor service and a careful check over at home is easily justified on cost grounds. I shall report back in due course.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Yes. What engine and transmission?

PS. Never serviced the brick. Started, only to find that volvo use a different sized pile filter housing hex head to the rest of the world and I didn't have the cortect one. Fortunately, my Dad had taught me well and I hadn't already dropped the oil before discovering this. Correct tool ordered, and I'll do it in the week.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Not had one yet - what's it about?

Volvo have a rep for being uber cautious and recalling for the slightest whiff of an issue, so I wouldn't be too concerned.

BianchiVirgin

Über Member
Seat belt thing. For the receiver end that takes the buckle. Apparently some are fraying and may fail if loaded like in an accident. Just about every model from '07 to '17 if I recall. Both of our XCs are in there.

Free fix but there's only one Volvo dealer in NI and they're a bunch of c***s.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
I'll let you know if postie brings me one. Mine are leather wrapped and are a bit threadbare, so new ones free of charge would be pleasant.

MntnMan62

Über Member
I used to have a 2002 or 2003 (or around those years) S60. It was their bottom version. Meaning it had the 5 cylinder engine, normally aspirated, no turbo, creating something like 170 horsepower. I ordered it new with a manual transmission. Yep. You read that right. I love manual transmission cars. I had the car for about 10 years and traded it in with 105,000 miles on it. I upgraded to a used low mileage 2012 Audi A6 3.0T. While I like the Audi much better as a car, to be fair they don't compete with one another. However, I can honestly say that the Volvo was the most trouble free car I've ever owned. And I've owned quite a few. It got decent gas mileage. The only maintenance and repairs it needed was regular oil changes, filters, tires, brakes. That's literally it. And I think if there was a recall it was for something totally unrelated to the engine. The Audi has had lots of recalls, some of them engine related. Fortunately I have not yet had to pay for any real maintenance beyond normal and ordinary stuff for the Audi but if there had not been recalls, I suppose all that work would have been on my dime. Anyway, I really loved my Volvo and sort of miss it. I guess I miss driving it like a car is supposed to be driven, meaning manually shifting and really using the engine. Sadly, I won't buy another Volvo again. And the only reason is because the company is now Chinese owned. I realize it's still made in Sweden but I have political positions that make buying a Chinese car undesirable for me. And no, I'm not a fan of "that" guy. But I am loving my Audi. It now has a little over 105,000 miles and I have no plans to trade it in at this point.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm reasonably sure my 1993 240 estate wasn't made in China^_^

At 180k miles, some of the original parts are starting to get a bit iffy. I had to replace the original exhaust this week as my Grace was sounding like a tank and waking the neighbours when I came home in the early hours, I suspect the new one won't last as long. One engine mount replaced yesterday as it had broken in half, and I thought the engine was supposed to move that much:laugh:

Dave7

Legendary Member
Not sure if I posted this somewhere but in the 80s I worked for Volvo sales. I usually drove 340s but occasionally 360s (I loved driving them).
I also drove the odd 240..... a real tank before power steering.
Working for myself in the 90s I made the mistake of leasing a C70 coupè. Fabulous to drive but the tax man battered me for it.
I had only had it couple of weeks max when I got a side wall puncture......new tyre cost me over £200 :eek:.....a lot of money then.

Salar

A fish out of water
We don't have a Volvo now , however we stuck with Volvo insurance brokers on one of our vehicles when we sold our last Volvo a few years ago.
Quotes were usually ok, maybe £15 to £20 per annum more than competitors, but we stuck with them.

Had the renewal from them a couple of weeks ago, from paying £275.00 last year, they now want £530.00.
Rang them to see what is going on, they kindly offered us a £19 reduction. Told them what to do with their insurance.

Now paying £250.00.

Top Bottom