The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Volvo themselves say that the China-built cars are the best quality ones produced by the Group, by their internal measures.

Of course Volvo would say that. They need to please their captors......I mean bosses. Initial performance might be good but the devil is in how they last and age. I've got 105,000 miles on my German made Audi and it runs like a dream. Hoping to get another 105,000 on it and then some.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Of course Volvo would say that. They need to please their captors......I mean bosses. Initial performance might be good but the devil is in how they last and age. I've got 105,000 miles on my German made Audi and it runs like a dream. Hoping to get another 105,000 on it and then some.
Do you think they might have told a bit of a fib? I mean, there's fibs and there's $33bn fibs :smile:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business...ion cars,costs and civil settlements globally.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Do you think they might have told a bit of a fib? I mean, there's fibs and there's $33bn fibs :smile:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50862356#:~:text=VW admitted 11 million cars,costs and civil settlements globally.

Yes. That was definitely a fiasco. And it related to diesel engines exclusively. Obviously that doesn't excuse the lies. But after 8 years of Audi ownership after 10 years of Volvo ownership, I can say I'm extremely please with my Audi. The VW lies about emissions took place after I bought my car. You can pretty much point to any car manufacturer and find examples of massive impropriety. Again. No excuse. But you need to pic your battles on any given day.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
It took them 53 years to finally own up - conveniently, this was when most of those affected were dead and the compensation bill would be thus reduced.

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/09/11/...te-12-million-fund-for-nazi-era-laborers.html

53 years of lies. They couldn't lie straight in bed, and he willingly approves of the companies products. No slave labour problems with Volvo. No 5 and a half decades of lies and deceit from Volvo. No putting profit ahead of peoples health and lives from Volvo. As a Jewish man myself id rather walk than drive a VW Group product - the company have no scruples, and their customers don't care.

MntnMan62

Über Member
It took them 53 years to finally own up - conveniently, this was when most of those affected were dead and the compensation bill would be thus reduced.

https://www.nytimes.com/1998/09/11/...te-12-million-fund-for-nazi-era-laborers.html

53 years of lies. They couldn't lie straight in bed, and he willingly approves of the companies products. No slave labour problems with Volvo. No 5 and a half decades of lies and deceit from Volvo. No putting profit ahead of peoples health and lives from Volvo. As a Jewish man myself id rather walk than drive a VW Group product - the company have no scruples, and their customers don't care.

Your entitled to your spin and your opinion. Volkswagen was a German company. I challenge you to find any German company that was not commandeered by the Nazis. Refusal meant sure death. Sweden sold Germany iron ore throughout WW2. And to sit there and ignore China's current violations is no different than those who turned their heads during the Nazi regime. PIcking and choosing what indiscretions to pay attention to and to ignore is exactly what you are accusing me of doing. There's a word for that.

DRM

Guru
I detest Audi’s & BMW’s with a passion, or rather the entitled, self important rectums that drive the things, either trying to barge you out of the way by continuing to fly up your backside on the motorway well in excess of the limit, or just tailgate about 2 or 3 feet behind you, prat’s the lot em

MntnMan62

Über Member
I detest Audi’s & BMW’s with a passion, or rather the entitled, self important rectums that drive the things, either trying to barge you out of the way by continuing to fly up your backside on the motorway well in excess of the limit, or just tailgate about 2 or 3 feet behind you, prat’s the lot em

I'm sorry. I think you're mistaken. Those would be Mercedes and Lexus drivers. :laugh:

mikeIow

Guru
No broad generalisations, then :laugh:
That said, it does often feel on motorways that Audi drivers are the new BMWs....and are indicators still optional on those Teutonic motors?!

Thought I’d drop into this thread: I had 3 fine Saab Aero’s for 13 years and well over 300k miles - always like the Aero because it pretty well had everything specified.
Their demise took me an hour down the road to spec a well loaded XC60 back in 2014. My work miles reduced, so that after 3 years I decided to keep it a while.....now 6 years in on about 78k miles, & of course the past year has only seen another 5k added....I have a feeling I may keep this one quite some time!
Super comfy, I have a winter set of wheels - we’ve taken it to Les Arcs for skiing a few times - adaptive cruise (brilliant feature) and the heated seats make the journey very relaxing.
Moved away from main dealer servicing last month (had a 5 year service pack before), there is a decent Indy here in Leicester - under half the price!
Our other main car is now electric, so tbh we tend to use that for most local journeys....hence the XC could be a lifer - still mighty handy for when we need more space.
4661EE01-9B1D-4C4F-9A7D-919A8C6E758A.png

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Lovely Volvo Mike. What engine does it have?

mikeIow

Guru
It's the D4 FWD 8-sp Auto unit. Luckily never had any issues with EGR which some of these engines have. & as you can see with the Thule easy-fit chains, getting up mountains is a breeze, even without 4WD/AWD!

I had never owned autos - driven some dreadful slushy ones in the US many times...but at the time, newer units with more gears were appearing.
I was unable to test the new one, only the old, which was very agricultural.....but I took a punt on it,loaded it up (heated steering wheel, I even have a button to flip down the rear headrests:laugh:), & it has ben an awesome vehicle for us!

At 3 years, when I decide to keep it, I treated it to a Polestar upgrade, which gave it a little more 'oomph' with no change to mpg (I have a heavy foot & generally get around 35pmg).

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Very nice. Ive considered a Polestar upgrade for mine, but it already delivers 400NM and the tyres are 150 sheets a corner, so the common sense part of me shied away.

Last edited:

mikeIow

Guru
Yes, it is a somewhat extravagant option....it was a gift from me to Stormy for no longer paying monthly instalments (for less than the cost of a monthly instalment!)
It does make a noticeable difference, if you are looking for justification ;)

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Im trying to resist, with crumbling willpower. The official Polestar option is a bit hard to justify considering I was given the car, but Superchips will remap it to another 35bhp and an extra 50NM of grunt for a third of the price, and theyre only 15 miles away...

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Thats a fair point. Mine is the 400NM model, and there was the later 420NM model with the same box. 450 might be pushing my luck.

Edit - Aisin Warner quote 450NM as the transmissions max handling, so itd be right on the cusp.

Top Bottom