The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Not worth risking at that level, but ive emailed them and asked if they do anything a bit milder.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Had an email from Superchips yesterday morning. Missed it because it went into my junk folder.

They'll do 217bhp and 450NM for £354 fitted. They seemed quite knowledgeable about the limits of the car, so I'll give them a ring tomorrow and book it in to have some more power fitted.

Then it'll be a doubtless painful conversation with my insurer.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Well, it now has an extra 37 BHP and 50Nm of grunt. It was hardly slow before, but its like driving a tsunami now.

The auto box isnt best suited for it. Use the new power too abruptly and it either kicks down or the planetary gears open up and forward thrust is moderated until the transmission catches up. However, stroke the loud pedal in top at 55 or 60 and it surges forward like the hand of God himself was giving me a push.

Rang Hastings direct. They in turn rang their underwirter, and a problem arose as the matrix they work from does not show a remap as a possible modification for an XC90. It just doesn't exist in their little world. Were I a new customer they said they might decline to cover me, but as an existing customer they would simply list the declaration in the notes and charge me 9 quid for making a change on the policy! Result.

Hicky

Guru
Following lock down I decided to give the old motor a through cleaning, it didn't move for two months(I didn't start it either, not that it mattered as it was a gem and no issues).

Here is a Volvo in its purest form, load lugging a family and dog, I neglected to take any pics so this is the product of an eleven year old.

Its recently had its late annual service along with MOT(no advisories) and a cambelt+water pump. I'm now on 191K happy as a poverbial.

Hicky

Guru
I left it to the mechanic, I bought the car for a steal and bodywork wise people avoid parking next to it. That said, all the oily bits work and its looked after/not thrashed....cars aren't my thing.
In short I don't know.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
I left it to the mechanic, I bought the car for a steal and bodywork wise people avoid parking next to it. That said, all the oily bits work and its looked after/not thrashed....cars aren't my thing.
In short I don't know.
No need for alarm, but the general maxim is if you've got an OEM Volvo pump, leave it alone unless it's rough or noisy because they are much higher quality than aftermarket ones. Just keep an eye/ear on it if you're running the car for a lot more years.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
SKF bearings in the Volvo pumps. Its almost unheard of the pumps themselves to give trouble, although the idlers and tensioners need replacing with the belt as they can do a lot of damage if they go south.

Looks good for 191 gees.

Hicky

Guru
Yeah, I read about the pro's/cons of swapping for poss none OEM. I hope it doesn't go before the next belt change clearly however he said to change the pump means everything off anyway so we might as well do it now.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Many moons ago a 7.5 tonne Iveco rear ended my Stepmum's Volvo 940 Wagon. The 940 was badly damaged but deemed repairable, and indeed it was. The Iveco was written off as too badly damaged to economically repair.

Top Bottom