The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Volvo drivers don't "upgrade" to an Audi. They simply rough it in an Audiot until they are fortunate enough to enjoy Volvo ownership again.

Those 5 pot N/A engines are brilliant. Tough beyond description, understressed, they sound lovely, and can give respectable MPG for the size of the car if driven sympathetically.

I must admit, recently I've been browsing the smalls, looking for a 740 or 760. I spotted a US import 780 and my Y fronts almost suffered structural failure with excitement, but as gorgeous as it was they simply wanted too much for it.

Last edited:

Salar

A fish out of water
My departed V70 D5, behind my mates T5 on one of our fishing expeditions. Just the job for fishing weekends.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Today I removed the XC90 headlamps - a no tools, 30 second task - and attacked them with a headlamp restoration kit.

The actually were not that bad, but little details bug me so I had to sort it. They've been treated with a UV protectant gel which hardens and self levels to form a crystal clear film. Just need to let it cure for 24 hours and then they go back on the brick.

DRM

Guru
I'm reasonably sure my 1993 240 estate wasn't made in China^_^

At 180k miles, some of the original parts are starting to get a bit iffy. I had to replace the original exhaust this week as my Grace was sounding like a tank and waking the neighbours when I came home in the early hours, I suspect the new one won't last as long. One engine mount replaced yesterday as it had broken in half, and I thought the engine was supposed to move that much:laugh:
240‘s were made in Belgium, the 260 estate I had was a true viking long ship built in Sweden

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Indeed, Volvos for the Chinese and far eastern markets are made in China. The original XC90 is still in production there.

My brick is a native of Gothenburg, and proud.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The Gothenburg Brick has its MOT tomorrow, the first that its had during my stewardship. Its never failed an MOT yet, and the last yest of only 3000 miles ago had zero advisories, so im hooing it passes cleanly.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Grace got a new crank position sensor today. When I dropped the gearbox to do the clutch the wiring was decidedly suspect, and no CPS = no go, so figured for £25 it was a no brainer. Rather pleasingly I was able to fidget my hand in from above with a ratchet spanner rather than putting her on ramps and cuddling around the bellhousing to do it.
Waiting for a 'known good' mass airflow sensor now, hopefully that will resolve the last of the running issues, and I can make a start on the cosmetic side of things.

MntnMan62

Über Member
Volvo drivers don't "upgrade" to an Audi. They simply rough it in an Audiot until they are fortunate enough to enjoy Volvo ownership again.

Those 5 pot N/A engines are brilliant. Tough beyond description, understressed, they sound lovely, and can give respectable MPG for the size of the car if driven sympathetically.

I must admit, recently I've been browsing the smalls, looking for a 740 or 760. I spotted a US import 780 and my Y fronts almost suffered structural failure with excitement, but as gorgeous as it was they simply wanted too much for it.

Trust me. The move to an Audi was most definitely an upgrade. But then you'd have had to drive an Audi, a recent vintage Audi, to understand. And now that they are owned and some made in China? What's a Volvo?

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Thank you, my Mum was a director for Volkswagen Group UK, so I know all about their product.

No UK market Volvo is manufactured in China, and if they were what is the difference? Audi manufacture cars in China, India, Russia and Brazil, and relatively few in Ingostadt, so I dont think any fanboi is in a position to get righteous about that sort of thing.

Volvo haven't been involved in war crimes, haven't lied about their involvement in war crimes and only come clean in the 90s when all the vicrims were dead and the compensation bill was minimised, and have never decided that it would be financially advantageous to let people die rather than invest money in making their vehicles genuinely compliant with emissions laws. People who get all uppity about putting money in the pocket of Jeff Bezos or Rupert Murdoch are happy to give money to a firm with a lengthy history of criminal behaviour. Go figure.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
Volvo themselves say that the China-built cars are the best quality ones produced by the Group, by their internal measures.
The Polestar is Chinese. Mrs D is eyeing the Polestar 2 as her next motor.

Hey, at least Chinia never invaded a country on the pretence of finding WMD that never existed jn the first place...

MntnMan62

Über Member
Thank you, my Mum was a director for Volkswagen Group UK, so I know all about their product.

No UK market Volvo is manufactured in China, and if they were what is the difference? Audi manufacture cars in China, India, Russia and Brazil, and relatively few in Ingostadt, so I dont think any fanboi is in a position to get righteous about that sort of thing.

Volvo haven't been involved in war crimes, haven't lied about their involvement in war crimes and only come clean in the 90s when all the vicrims were dead and the compensation bill was minimised, and have never decided that it would be financially advantageous to let people die rather than invest money in making their vehicles genuinely compliant with emissions laws. People who get all uppity about putting money in the pocket of Jeff Bezos or Rupert Murdoch are happy to give money to a firm with a lengthy history of criminal behaviour. Go figure.

Fan boy? That's freaking funny. My car was built in Neckarsulm, Germany. I have every right to be righteous about where anything is made. And I'm less interested in ancient history than I am about the present. Enough said. Enjoy your chinese made stuff.

Top Bottom