The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
You need to sort that grille out. Did they do an eggcrate job for that model?

On the list. I think they do an eggcrate for the Phase 1. First job is to get underneath, has a bit of an oil leak to resolve so will be checking the usual suspects, PCV system and turbo return to start. Like I don't have enough to do, but I've always wanted one and it's a hobby. Sometimes I ride my bike.....

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
I bought a Volvo 340 with me from the UK when I came to Denmark. It was an old thing and I dragged a trailer from Yorkshire, through Holland and Germany. I kept it for a few years before buying a left hand drive car. It was a reliable little thing.

OP
OP
Drago

Drago

Legendary Member
The 340 was originally a DAF product in development. Volvo inherited the project when they acquired DAF, and thoroughly Volvoised it before putting it on sale. The 360 with the 2 litre motor and 115is BHP wasn't a bad little car, although about as fashionable as Thora Hurd's cardigan.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Rare cars now those quick V70's, so probably an appreciating asset. Worth sorting though. That's why I'm doing little jobs on the cheap Aygo we bought. May keep it, may sell eventually. Should get the same back if it's looked after.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Rare cars now those quick V70's, so probably an appreciating asset. Worth sorting though. That's why I'm doing little jobs on the cheap Aygo we bought. May keep it, may sell eventually. Should get the same back if it's looked after.

They are getting that way, and finding a decent well sorted one is getting harder, unless you want to spend silly money. If anyone remembers the pale yellow (Gul it was called) that Volvo did the 850 R in, they are fetching mad money even with 100k plus miles. So I bought what I could afford, which means a project.

From my files

Seen in Haworth
November 2016

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/brontecarlo

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Quick 30 mins under the bonnet of the R this morning, bit of Surfax HD sprayed and the jetwash to figure where the oil leak is. Intake/Turbo junction, including PCV hoses etc was bad, now it's not.
Oily .jpg

No time for much more, work getting in they way. I did find the cooling pipe to the ECU somewhat perforated, I reckon gaffer tape or changing out the accordion piece for some rubber hose (seems to be the done thing, apparently the heat makes it brittle).

I think the oil issue is PCV related. Engine running, dipstick out and she's puffing a bit. When I get a minute I'll do the glove test, but in the very extensive service history I can't find a record of the PCV having been changed, and it's a known issue on these with 100k miles upwards, they just clog up.

Top Bottom