The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I'm lowering the tone again, with the V70 up in the air on the driveway. The top spring mount on the NSF was completely shot, so new one awaiting fitting after the paint dries on the strut.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Just stuck new struts on the front of the S60 at 170k miles. Decent value for Meyle parts, and it's driving like a much newer car, which is nice :smile:
My drop links were heavy duty Meyle, nicely made. I went genuine with the spring top mount as the pattern parts are from the original design which is flawed, the new part is common across the range including the XC90 so should be more than good enough for my V70.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Yay! Silence at last, no oil spray and 4 new tyres, the V70R is now fit to be the daily. Few bits left to do including brake fluid change and gearbox oil too, then the cosmetic bits.

Hicky

Guru
That’s new front pads and a seized calliper replaced. Back to being smooth again if lighter in the wallet 🤭

Copied/pasted, from various entries of mine in the 'Trailers & BWSOWs' thread
It's getting towards the time, when we'll be looking at taking the BWSOW out of hibernation, & ..... SWMBO doesn't really want to drive my car, as it's a manual, & she's driven autos for the past 4 years

So, the choices are;
1. PX my Kodiaq for an automatic
2. I continue to deliver/collect it, but that restricts distance/availability (with my working shifts/weekends)
3. Purchase another car, that is an automatic, & 'hefty' enough to prevent the tail wagging the dog syndrome (and I get to keep my Kodiaq)
Or.............
4. Which she's not that keen on, she gets used to driving the Kodiaq, & tows the BWSOW herself
(it has a motor-mover, for onsite manoeuvring)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ve been talking about this with someone at work this afternoon, & she made an interesting suggestion

Now, it does depend on how bothered Senior Management is about a new/shiney/fancy car
(I have to figure that out, & go slowly)

My colleague suggested a Volvo XC90, not the present shape, but the initial model; pre - 2015???
A nice D5 auto?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She's been on about it again, & did actually tell me she saw an older XC90 at the garden centre & thought it looked good!!

Maybe l can swing this towards a XC90?
She also mentioned a Quashqio(??)), but the max tow-capacities are too low
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This resurfaced again, apparantly, over the weekend whilst they were away (along with her dad)
Primarily due to not wanting to 'relearn' to drive a manual, & tow at the same time
IF we had an auto, she could concentrate on the towing alone

My Volvo suggestions were taken credibly this time:eek:

To the extent that I showed her a XC70 for sale, at Castleford, & we even went down to look at it in the compound
It wasn't the best presented, as they share the premises with a car-wash, so it'll be constantly getting over-spray, then any dust that's blown that way (like all cars there)
On a quick once-over, the wheels have peeling laquer, but given its age, plus despite the advert stating a tow-bar it doesn't have one
We may/may not go back for a look (given that we'd have to budget another £500 - £700 for tow-bar/13-pin electrics
https://www.day2daymotors.co.uk/use...-d5-se-lux-geartronic-awd-5dr-202202062207528

This one is just out of Wakefield city centre, & looks good; https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202108316834120?sort=relevance&make=Volvo&year-to=2022&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&radius=40&postcode=wf61hb&include-delivery-option=on&model=XC70&page=1

Then daughter, very cleverly(!) suggested the XC90 again
Auto-Trader came up with a few, the closest couple were without towbars, & one was manual:eek:

I found this one, in Keighley, she reckons age isn't a real issue to her, as all it'll really be for is caravan, shopping, dogs, & tip-runs
I'm days-off Thur/Fri, I might drive over for a look at it?
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202203103425264?sort=relevance&price-from=2500&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&make=Volvo&include-delivery-option=on&radius=35&postcode=wf61hb&year-to=2022&model=XC90&advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=5500&page=1

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Stick with the XC70 line of thought - XC90s are heavy and whilst ostensibly the mechanicals are similar, they are just more spendy to keep going.

...which is why we've run successive XC70s!

The first gen has a hewn-from-solid feel, but that one is really top money.

The second gen is more refined, albeit the 185 is probably the least desirable engine of them all.

Check service history, particularly belt changes. Also suspension noises and rattles, and particularly if auto, the operation WHILST FULLY HOT of the autobox.

But very good cars, for all my caveats.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I've had 2 XC90's, a 55 plate 163bhp Ocean Race which was very nice but slow away and clearly under-powered, longer term that gearbox wasn't going to be the best either. I skipped the 185bhp generation and went to a 205bhp in 2011, very nice but never going to be cheap to run.
The Xc70 is a very nice motor if you can go pre-Ford era, but you do have a limited choice compared to the XC90.

Hicky

Guru
I love my xc70(euro3 163hp). If it was less rough I’d opt for the polestar upgrade, as it is I’m running it as an atob car.
It’s a great car. When it eventually dies I’ll get the same again but spend a little more.
One fault mine had was the gearbox crunched (into 1st I assume)when slowing down at a more than gentle rate, at first this worried me. A full gearbox oil change/flush sorted it and now is faultless(it was supposedly done by the previous owner, who seemingly was a shite diyer!).

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Clunky gearboxes were a common theme, especially with the 5 speed AW 'box fitted around 2000. Volvo claim their gearboxes are 'sealed for life', yet other manufacturers who use exactly the same change the oil at 60k. My 240 is on 184,000 miles and I did it's first gearbox oil change when I bought it, it was filthy. Next job on the V70R is a gearbox oil change, at 138k I think it may be muddy, despite the box shifting quite smoothly.

Top Bottom