The Volvo thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Friday 1st

Driving into Pontefract at dinnertime
I was queuing at the traffic-lights, onto Park Road, by jct 32/M62

Hicky

Guru
A full service and gearbox oil(£140 specifically) I thought was a good investment at 171k miles. Now at 203k it’s given sterling service apart from brake callipers seizing.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Depends when it was registered as it's right on the cusp. My 55 plate was in the lower bracket, VED went up on the 06 plate. I'd hazard £265.

Copied/pasted, from various entries of mine in the 'Trailers & BWSOWs' thread
It's getting towards the time, when we'll be looking at taking the BWSOW out of hibernation, & ..... SWMBO doesn't really want to drive my car, as it's a manual, & she's driven autos for the past 4 years

So, the choices are;
1. PX my Kodiaq for an automatic
2. I continue to deliver/collect it, but that restricts distance/availability (with my working shifts/weekends)
3. Purchase another car, that is an automatic, & 'hefty' enough to prevent the tail wagging the dog syndrome (and I get to keep my Kodiaq)
Or.............
4. Which she's not that keen on, she gets used to driving the Kodiaq, & tows the BWSOW herself
(it has a motor-mover, for onsite manoeuvring)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I’ve been talking about this with someone at work this afternoon, & she made an interesting suggestion

Now, it does depend on how bothered Senior Management is about a new/shiney/fancy car
(I have to figure that out, & go slowly)

My colleague suggested a Volvo XC90, not the present shape, but the initial model; pre - 2015???
A nice D5 auto?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

She's been on about it again, & did actually tell me she saw an older XC90 at the garden centre & thought it looked good!!

Maybe l can swing this towards a XC90?
She also mentioned a Quashqio(??)), but the max tow-capacities are too low
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This resurfaced again, apparantly, over the weekend whilst they were away (along with her dad)
Primarily due to not wanting to 'relearn' to drive a manual, & tow at the same time
IF we had an auto, she could concentrate on the towing alone

My Volvo suggestions were taken credibly this time:eek:

To the extent that I showed her a XC70 for sale, at Castleford, & we even went down to look at it in the compound
It wasn't the best presented, as they share the premises with a car-wash, so it'll be constantly getting over-spray, then any dust that's blown that way (like all cars there)
On a quick once-over, the wheels have peeling laquer, but given its age, plus despite the advert stating a tow-bar it doesn't have one
We may/may not go back for a look (given that we'd have to budget another £500 - £700 for tow-bar/13-pin electrics
https://www.day2daymotors.co.uk/use...-d5-se-lux-geartronic-awd-5dr-202202062207528

This one is just out of Wakefield city centre, & looks good; https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202108316834120?sort=relevance&make=Volvo&year-to=2022&advertising-location=at_cars&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&radius=40&postcode=wf61hb&include-delivery-option=on&model=XC70&page=1

Then daughter, very cleverly(!) suggested the XC90 again
Auto-Trader came up with a few, the closest couple were without towbars, & one was manual:eek:

I found this one, in Keighley, she reckons age isn't a real issue to her, as all it'll really be for is caravan, shopping, dogs, & tip-runs
I'm days-off Thur/Fri, I might drive over for a look at it?
https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202203103425264?sort=relevance&price-from=2500&onesearchad=New&onesearchad=Nearly New&onesearchad=Used&make=Volvo&include-delivery-option=on&radius=35&postcode=wf61hb&year-to=2022&model=XC90&advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=5500&page=1

After one passed us on the A64 this morning, l suggested one of these to daughter
She had a look at Auto-Trader, & found the 2.5Tdi model
I had a look when we got home & found its big brother!!

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/car-details/202111290035557?advertising-location=at_cars&price-to=3500&postcode=Wf6 1Hb&model=Touareg&page=1&price-from=1500&radius=30&make=Volkswagen&include-delivery-option=on&sort=relevance

EDIT @ 17:01
We've not bought this
That said, I'd love to try the V10!

Last edited:

Hicky

Guru
C91BD785-AC37-4898-8704-FA30812D7EEF.jpeg

5EB49231-7F6C-4CFE-BD01-BA4C170856D0.jpeg

The machine received some much needed love today, wheel tracking and a clean and wax. The wheels do need some more attention as the brake dust is proving hard to remove….I shouldn’t leave it so long. When on form it’s a fantastically smooth drive.

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Tempted by one if these or an Audi allroad!

Do your due diligence on older Allroads. We went Volvo (s)

Hicky

Guru
Tempted by one if these or an Audi allroad!

I believe Audis are a great car however the suspension is a more complicated affair which doesn’t last/isn’t as repairable as standard coil/strut etc.
If it wasn’t for the high tax(more then my insurance per annum) I’d replace like for like when it eventually dies. Currently on 207,000miles and smooth!
Ps, the seats in Volvos are legendary for their comfort!

Last edited:

Hicky

Guru
Arrrgh, cold weather strikes.
A new battery required, a puncture and an engine temperature thermostat required. Bugger. They first real failure in 5 yrs for the old girl beyond tired rear calipers.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
My 240 is currently bringing down the neighbourhood again, back end all up in the air on stands. The trailing arm bushes needed changing, and whilst there noted the trailing arms rotten enough to put finger through, so new ones ordered. Removing them revealed knackered shocks, so ordered those too. And all new bolts. And rear brake hoses. Then the prop shaft centre bearing and support. All of it, bar shocks and arms, are 'somewhere' in the postal system. Ho hum. Getting the new bushes in became an bit of fun, with a homemade press of sorts which worked well..
20221207_132921.jpg

D

Deleted member 26715

I have a proper press for a Renault Laguna, I wonder if it would have been any use to you?

Top Bottom