The Vuelta with spoilers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I think about 15 remain in the break but the peloton are just 50s behind them now, and 2min 50 behind Storer. 32km to go. If this was a flat stage, I would expect a catch and peloton fighting over the win.

mjr

Storer descending the last km to the start of the 7.5km third KOM climb is using an interesting position. Very aero with face and shoulders behind stem, arms behind bars and fingers pushing down on the tops. I wonder how much control he would have if he hit a hole.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I think about 15 remain in the break but the peloton are just 50s behind them now, and 2min 50 behind Storer. 32km to go. If this was a flat stage, I would expect a catch and peloton fighting over the win.
How easy would it be for him to lose 3 minutes on a ESP category climb if the big boys decide to have a go? Very easy I'd say.

Reactions: mjr

mjr

2.5km to summit, 24km to end, Storer has 2m23 over the peloton. Eiking is dangling at the back. UAE are helping TBV drive it. Not sure why. And Bizkarra (EUS) attacks, gets a gap and Bardet goes with.

mjr

Storer over the top. The descent seems sketchy as hell, with patchy wet roads and lots of marshals and hi vis chevrons, some with lights and sirens. If the peloton are sensible, they will not be catching anyone on it.

mjr

I think everyone got down safe. Bouchard attacks. 12km to go. Peloton still driven by TBV and Movistar but not catching Storer much. I wonder who's going to lead Roglič to the line today...

vlcsnap-2021-09-02-15h55m49s355.png

mjr

36 seconds gain would move De La Cruz up 2 places to 11th if Eiking is still in the peloton: he has more than that now, 62 seconds. Wanty have now taken up driving... I think it's more an attempt to move Meintjes up than to defend Eiking's place.

He's caught Storer, whose lead was 66s over the peloton with 8km to go.

1m37 gain would take 10th if Mäder is in the peloton. 4s more than that to overtake Grossschartner who is struggling at the back... as is Martin. Then the next gap is another 1m50 more to Kuss which isn't going to happen.

It's a very good move by De La Cruz but really only affecting the far end of the top ten.

mjr

6km to go... Bardet swinging around the back of the bunch, looking like popping soon. Wanty still driving, bringing the gap down to 36s, but I don't think Eiking is there any more, so they've mainly helped Mäder retake his position.

De La Cruz has dropped Storer. Bit of a shame but probably the right move if he's not to be caught and it makes for a more interesting finish. :sad:

Yeah, Storer has popped, caught by the peloton in less than 1km, while De La Cruz is slowly growing the gap to 40s.

mjr

All change! Lopez attacked and swept past De La Cruz, who has now been caught by the red jersey group, 30s behind. Bernal attacks and again takes Roglič and Mas with him, nibbling 6 seconds out of Lopez's lead. 1.5km to go. I predict a stalemate with Lopez gaining a piffle and Haig losing a bit but no places changed among the new top 5 (Martin's long gone...)

mjr

Supermán takes the stage... not great weather up there!
1:0:1:79E0:443:1:C00000:0:0:0:?bitrate=500000?width=720?height=480?vcodec=h264?aspectratio=2?i...png

Edit to add: and as suggested a few km ago, the only top GC position change was Martin dropping away from 5th to 9th. Roglič, Mas, Lopez, Haig and Bernal remain in that order. Yates and Kuss follow them as before, but now each a place higher, then Mäder moves up two to 8th, Martin replaces the dropped-away Grossschartner in 9th and Meintjes climbs to 10th.

Last edited:
Supermán takes the stage... not great weather up there!
View attachment 607279
Edit to add: and as suggested a few km ago, the only top GC position change was Martin dropping away from 5th to 9th. Roglič, Mas, Lopez, Haig and Bernal remain in that order. Yates and Kuss follow them as before, but now each a place higher, then Mäder moves up two to 8th, Martin replaces the dropped-away Grossschartner in 9th and Meintjes climbs to 10th.
Bloody brilliant by MAL, what a climber. Rogs not bad either! ^_^

mjr

Bloody brilliant by MAL, what a climber. Rogs not bad either! ^_^
Brilliant would have been another 24 seconds...

Rog followed everything, which was all he needed to do. He's the strongest and so probably deserves the win but he's shown less flair this year than his previous wins, which may be unsurprising given that the race both starts and finishes with snoozefests time trials where he's the best GC contender and that his most flamboyant attack this year was rewarded with a smack into the road on a descent. Maybe he'll surprise me yet and dismantle Movistar and Ineos early on Saturday, gifting Kuss a stage win and helping him to the podium ;)

Top Bottom