The 'Why' thread?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It depends what 'it' is... I had a pack of these in the cupboard which needed using up...

View attachment 684508

I ate 4 of them the other evening after discovering that they were over 2.5 months past their 'best before' date! (Having looked at them very carefully to see if there were any signs of mould, and also sniffing them.) They were perfectly ok.

There is a difference between
use by date
and
best before date
Best before only means they might not be at their best after that but they will probably be fine to eat
use by means there is a good chance they will have gone off after that date - they might be OK but somewhere shortly after that date they will be unsafe to eat
e.g. milk - has to be used before it goes off
tinned soup - might not taste as good as it is intended to after the specified date but has been known to last many years after its date and still be fine

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It depends what 'it' is... I had a pack of these in the cupboard which needed using up...

View attachment 684508

I ate 4 of them the other evening after discovering that they were over 2.5 months past their 'best before' date! (Having looked at them very carefully to see if there were any signs of mould, and also sniffing them.) They were perfectly ok.

A couple of years ago I bought a packet of similar wraps or tortillas or some such at Tesco in Driffield. When I opened them they were crumbly. I checked the sell by or whatever date and they were a year old. But still on the shelves.

They looked ok, no sign of mould. Just very old and crumbly and not much use. A bit like me.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
In the spirit of the thread, Why do people put ketchup in the fridge. This is a refrigerated display in the coop in Sandwich. I put my basket down went back to the car where my Sharpie pen is and made an effort to educate the masses.

All my own work, I initialed it, went in today and it was gone.

They walk among us,

Don't give up the fight.

DSC_0004.JPG

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Why do people buy ketchup?

Pie and chips

Alex321

Veteran
In the spirit of the thread, Why do people put ketchup in the fridge. This is a refrigerated display in the coop in Sandwich. I put my basket down went back to the car where my Sharpie pen is and made an effort to educate the masses.

All my own work, I initialed it, went in today and it was gone.

They walk among us,

Don't give up the fight.

View attachment 684586

Perhaps you should tell Heinz that then.

The (small) bottle we have says "After opening, refrigerate" on it. Which is why we put ours in the fridge. BTW, it is over a year beyond it's Best Before date - we use very little of it.
20230407_211204[1].jpg

Now I wouldn't expect it to be in the chilled section in the shop though - it is "after opening". And it isn't in the chilled section in our Tesco.

Top Bottom