The Worst Band You've Seen Live

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
.... I was there every Monday night, 1975 onwards, saw all the bands from pub rock through punk, new wave, even saw UFO and Motorhead.
I was there for the Motorhead gig. Afterwards, I was having a last pint before hitching home (Hatfield) when Lemmy came up to me. "Where's all the birds gone?" is all he asked.

Worst gig though was when GF got some free tickets to see Neil Diamond at the NEC. For one number he invited a woman up to the front of the stage. He knelt down and sang a song to her. When he'd finished he stood up, turned and took a few steps away then turned back and said to the guy who was with "Is she with you? She's ready for you u now. We got up and walked out.

ayceejay

Guru
Since this thread has been resurrected I will add a vote for van Morrison, an audience of drunks and an arrogant a'hole on stage.
Interestingly there were two gigs on in London that Saturday and I and my son couldn't decide which to attend, van Morrison on the Tottenham Court Road was one and Ry Cooder at the Hammersmith Odean was the other. As van the man was finished by 9.15 we dashed across town, the guy on the door even let us in for free and Cooder played until they turned the lights out on him at 11pm.

Chris Norton

As an aside, saw motorhead at the festival pavilion in skegness. As I rode home on my moped the roof collapsed and the pavilion was no more. They literally blew the roof off. Most disappointed has to be the chemical brothers. Play a tune and then stop for 5 minutes. Not great.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I chanced upon the Galway Mod/Scooter festival in 1986, and as it was up my street, I went along to the venue(s), made some new 'mates' and got splendidly flutered.
I also saw "Too Much For The White Man", who were feckin' awful, and were not enough for this here white man, I'm afraid.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Interpreting 'worst' as 'most disappointing' it's Red Hot Chili peppers. Truly awful live but I still love their recorded stuff.

As a long-term RHCP fan, I have the reverse view. The shows I've seen (last was Earls Court 2006, going back to Brixton '92), were great. But the records have gone waaaaay down. From the magnificence of BSSM, to the perfectly good One Hot Minute, Californication was OK, after that...meh. Didn't even bother with the last one. It's like they've forgotten who they were. The smattering of the proper loud funky stuff they still play live just isn't enough for me. And as for the fans these days- I remember one plonker at V in 2001 who thought 'Fire' was a new track (?!). At Earls Court they played precisely one track from the first four albums, and it seemed like I was the only person in the venue who knew it.

perplexed

Guru
I go dragged to a Chris de Burgh gig about 1991. I think I was the only bloke in a crowd of about 6000. He's not a bad singer, but jesus...

I've literally just shivered at the memory of it.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
Since this thread has been resurrected I will add a vote for van Morrison, an audience of drunks and an arrogant a'hole on stage.

Paradoxically, I attended a van Morrisson gig, under duress, last year in York. In our courting days, my wife told me that she liked van Morrision and I informed her that she didn't, such was the strength of my dislike. Anyway back to the gig. My wife likes to research performers before attending any gig and found that the gig would last exactly 90 minutes with no encore. I was not looking forward to the event.

It turned out exactly as predicted a ninety minute gig with no encore.

The performance though was out of this world. It was one of the tightest performances of any performer and backing band that I've seen. The lack of song introductions and banter eliminated 'dead time' and maximised song time. I left York Barbican a convert to the van Morrison cause.

I went to see Alexander O'Neill a few years back. The support act took up most of the evening, he was on stage for roughly 40 minutes, seemed to be really struggling then disappeared. The dude ain't what he used to be that's for sure.

vernon

Harder than Ronnie Pickering
I went to see Alexander O'Neill a few years back. The support act took up most of the evening, he was on stage for roughly 40 minutes, seemed to be really struggling then disappeared. The dude ain't what he used to be that's for sure.

Forty minutes? Luxury!

Chuck Berry did thirty five minutes at Newcastle City Hall and at least half of that was spent duetting with his daughter. No encore.

Top Bottom