The Worst Band You've Seen Live

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Jumping Jimmy Thunder, this was back in the 80s in a pub in Weymouth. So bad it was brilliant, he actually thought he could sing and the crowd just kept on egging him on which made it side splitting stuff

Longshot

Morrisey, at the first ever Madstock (Madness reunion gig) at Finsbury Park. I hated before that but apparently everyone saw the light within a few minutes of him getting on stage as the crowd were shouting up to the stage asking for their bottles back as they'd run out of ammo.

I liked the band, but I saw Ash supporting Elastica at the Waterfront in Norwich and Tim Wheeler was playing through a 10 watt practice amp going through the PA. It sounded so bad I was actually having to hold my breath to protect my ears.

I love going to the ATP festivals but half the acts I was subjected to at the 'Godspeed You Black Emperor' curated festival was unlistenable tosh, and believe me, I KNOW unlistenable tosh, hell I've recorded countless tracks of it myself!*

*in the past, I'm proud of what I do now!
Which year was that? I've had amazing times at them, including proposing to my wife t the autechre one...

I've been to the following ATP things:
  • Nightmare before Christmas 10th birthday
  • Godspeed curated
  • Slayer playing reign of blood
  • Shellac curated

I was at the shellac one in 2002' along with mogwai in 2000, tortoise in 2001 (my ultimate lost weekend, I remember practically none of it) and autechre in 2003. Stopped going after that, not sure why...oh yeah, kids etc.

hobbitonabike

Formerly EbonyWillow
While I was at uni I saw Natalie Imbruglia in Manchester...she was quite inoffensive...unlike the woman behind me who decided my ears were chilly and tried to use her breasts to keep my ears warm!!! She was on the tall side and I am dinky!! You fella might not see this as a bad thing but as astraight woman it really did nothing for me!!!

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
It's long enough ago (and nobody on here knows me) that I can admit to going to see that saviour of the Western world, Steven Segal and his blues band Thunderbox.

He kept the sell-out crowd waiting for nearly two hours and, while he can play guitar, he has not been gifted vocally. (Not that I'd say that to his face.)
I and a lot of others were fairly pissed off by this time and I saw quite a few leaving early. As a fight broke out on the bacony I decided to leave too. Total waste of money.

GC

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
While I was at uni I saw Natalie Imbruglia in Manchester...she was quite inoffensive...unlike the woman behind me who decided my ears were chilly and tried to use her breasts to keep my ears warm!!! She was on the tall side and I am dinky!! You fella might not see this as a bad thing but as astraight woman it really did nothing for me!!!

Did it not at least muffle the benign songs?

D

Deleted member 23692

I forget Huang Chung... how could I forget Huang Chung :eek:

I saw these at the Theakston's Beer Festival at Nostell Priory in the summer of 1982. Can you spot the odd one out on the line up?

nostell-82-ad.jpg

It was a lovely warm summer's day, and the well mannered crowd (made up of bluesmen, folkies, and prog rockers) had settled down to an afternoon of fine alcoholic beverage and various 'vegetable entertainment products' of dubious legality, set to a backdrop of a great musical line up.

Who in their right mind thought it would be a good idea to drop a new romantic band on stage to perform their one hit 'Dance Hall Days' not once, but twice in the same set? The crowd were non-plused by this unwanted musical diversity, and soon set about tidying up the arena by throwing all the litter stagewards... and there was a lot of litter, some of it very well aimed too :smile: The band soon left the stage.

sometime in the 80's i saw Slab opening for someone at the Marquee (not even the good Marquee, but the one on Charing Cross Road). for many years they held the torch for utter awfulness... but i did see a band opening for Baby Bird a couple of years ago and i had to abandon my "never touch you mobile 'phone during a gig" mantra to text my friend (who had witnessed Slab) to tell her they had been deposed.

alas, or not, i can't remember the band's name, but the main man was the Baby Bird bass player at the time.

sheesh, they were abysmal.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Saw this band at the *cough* Stonehenge festival (it was few years before it got all nasty), I believe the singer might have taken something, they appeared to have one song which was a version of It's Only Rock and Roll (But I Like it) but the lyric was It's only marijuana but I like it. Even though I was pretty ****ed I knew they were shite.

Top Bottom