The Worst Band You've Seen Live

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Don't know if this counts in this thread but I saw Focus at Leeds Town Hall I thought they were brilliant, but the wife & her mate obviously thought otherwise they slept ! nearly all the way through.

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
Attending a live gig is an expensive way of finding out that it is only session musicians, and the skilful use of pitch correction software by recording studio engineers that make most of the bands sound good on CD.

green1

Über Member
Attending a live gig is an expensive way of finding out that it is only session musicians, and the skilful use of pitch correction software by recording studio engineers that make most of the bands sound good on CD.
Depends what you listen to. Music made by proper musicians always sounds better live. Manufactured S***e always better on a CD. You pays your money...

bof

Senior member. Oi! Less of the senior please
Havent any of you had to take your children and their mates along to gigs when they are too young to go on the own? 2 hours of a boy band (OK one that played instruments) at high volume and you can't wait for them to get a bit older. The good thing aboout memories of tramas is you forget bits like the band's name.

Saw Bryan Ferry a couple of years back at Kew Gardens. Don't care much for him or Roxy music anyway (he was the females' choice when a buch of us chose which act in the series to see), but because of the ornamental trees that limit the view of the stage you really need the giant TVs. Anyway instead of showing the group, they showed graphics that would have looked like cobblers on an Old Gray Whistle Test 1972 - and when we complained, the organiser said this was at Brian Ferry's insistence and there was nothing they could do about it. Prat!

ACS

Legendary Member
The Sweet, 1973, in the Grand Hall, Kilmarnock. Not because the band were bad they never really got a chance to play before the bottles started flying. The lead singer (Connolly) took a bottle to the forehead which floored him and the band had it on their toes. No longer having anything to focus on the mob turned on each other.

I was about 14 and could see events unfolding from our seats on the balcony. Realising that when the local feds did arrive it would turn into a truncheon wielding melee because that was how the locals dealt with most of the local youth, we (about 8 of us) decided that the fire exit would be a smart option and got out PDQ and went over to the Wee Thack for a beer, as you do when you are 14 having just been to a concert. The upshot of the whole episode was the band went on to have a hit called ‘Ballroom Blitz’ a song written about the Kilmarnock riot.

U

User169

Saw Bryan Ferry a couple of years back at Kew Gardens.

I once lived in an apartment that overlooked Kew Gdns, so we used to hear some of the bands playing there. Jools Holland was the worst.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Well I expected Meat Loaf to be s***e to be honest as I think he is rubbish anyway. My girlfriend thinks he's awesome (or did) so you do these things. The guy is a total has-been now and garbage live.

It's like I am a huge AC/DC fan but I would never go and see them as I think that they are past it. If I could go back in time to 1978 at the Appollo Glasgow where I believe If You Want Blood You've Got It was recorded I would, when they had a decent singer and were in their prime. I think it would possibly be better to see a decent tribute band at a smaller venue, than some old men at a stadium where you cannot see anything.

Livewire.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Worst gigs? Two choices here, with a third not far behind. In third place it would have to be Phil Collins at Knebworth, closely followed by the time I was dragged along to see Simply Red at Sheffield Arena. I was never a fan to be fair, but it took two or maybe three songs for the realisation to dawn that the small ginger object prancing up and down the elongated stage 500 feet below us was singing the same song over and over again, and it was shite.

But the most mind-numbingly awful gig in history, the one where I genuinely contemplated slamming my genitalia in the door jamb for diversion from the awfulness was Meatloaf. People have described him as a showman. I would describe him as a big fat American self-gratification artist.

Leaway2

Lycrist
I forgot about Alexei Sayle at Manchester university. Not a music concert as such although I think he did "John got a new motor". Relying on swearing for laughs, #$@$%*g crap.

Top Bottom