The Worst Band You've Seen Live

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
[QUOTE 2030347, member: 259"]Japan just before their big breakthrough were appallingly bad and arrogant gobs***es to boot.[/quote]

Talking of arrogant gobshites, I saw The Cult or Southern Death Cult as they were then called as a support act for Bauhaus in '83 and Ian Asprin was an arrogant gobshite then before they 'made it'. Bauhaus are in my selection for Best, they were superb.

Black Sabbath - Necastle City Hall 1974 or 1975. I tried to leave the bouncers threw me back in.

Jon Gomm and guests - Brudenell Centre Leeds 2010 - self indulgent tapping and shredding on acoustic guitars. He was non plused by the audience's perceived lack of reverence for his self indulgent w*nk fest.

Seth Lakeman - O2 Academy Leeds 2009 - I could/should have left after the first six songs the rest of the gig were permutations of the first six songs. Totally lacking in atmosphere.
Saw Sabbath on their 10th Anniversary tour, never decided whether they were bad, or the "unknown" support band - Van Halen was simply that much better

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Black Sabbath - Necastle City Hall 1974 or 1975. I tried to leave the bouncers threw me back in.

Never saw them but I am a big fan. I did buy their only live album "Live At Last" when I was a kid which was made in the 70' with the classic line-up and everything about it is shockingly bad, so it does not surprise me.

The worst band I have ever seen is Bryan Adams. I went with mates whom were fans as I have never liked his music. It was at Celtic Park in the early 90's with thousands and thousands there. It was just shite and Bryan tried to play a little guitar solo and hit several wrong notes and it sounded like crap. I do not think he can play as another guitarist was playing everything else and he was really good. I just think he wanted to show off and it did not work.

I have seen other bands that I am not a fan of like Bon Jovi, I went to see them in the late 80's as a girlfriend used to love them for their New Jersey tour and they were brilliant live. Singing along to all that cheesey music was great fun. I think a lot of it was to do with the excellent guitar playing of Richie whatever he is called, whereas Bryan Adams was just boring dull crap.

Worst gig I want to see was Micheal Jackson at Wembley stadium - not his fault.

After the support act (Kim Wilde) I took a drink of something I was passed and went out like a light. Next thing I know I am waking up lying an the ground with people dancing all around me and rain filling up my ear. The people I came with have all b*ggered off. By the time I stagger to me feet, he is just finishing off his final encore.

Oh! and to top it off, by the time I got to the Kings Cross, they had shut the shed the local trains leave from and not realizing they left late at night from the main shed I started swearing loudly and got arrested by the transport cops.

Not the most enjoyable concert

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Worst gig I want to see was Micheal Jackson at Wembley stadium - not his fault.

After the support act (Kim Wilde) I took a drink of something I was passed and went out like a light. Next thing I know I am waking up lying an the ground with people dancing all around me and rain filling up my ear. The people I came with have all b*ggered off. By the time I stagger to me feet, he is just finishing off his final encore.

Sounds like a lucky escape to me, Touche!

Brains

Legendary Member
I was dragged screaming to Earls Court to see Dire Straits, free ticket and all. Oh, it was horrid. The band would have been good in a pub, but in a stadium they were , well, dire actually.

For a couple of years they were one of our regular local small bands, I've seen them a number of times playing the local pubs and clubs. The Sultan was the dire pub at the end of our road (now Nandos!).
At one place the 'stage' was made up of a load of tables pushed together, half way through the gig the drummer, kit and all, disappeared through the floor as the tables parted. Hilarious gig !

D

Deleted member 23692

Oh yeah... Sabbath!

Saw them a few times (all good), but the memorable one was on the Mob Rules tour at Bingley Hall (cattle market!!), The support band, who I think were called the Starfighters, were awful and thus were promptly bottled off. This was followed by an hour wait for Sabbath to come on stage and when the did the dry ice machine blew up in grand fashion covering the drums and drummer (Vinnie Applesauce) in water and dry ice. This led to another long hiatus whilst the roadies dried the drum kit off and Vinnie got treated for burns.

All I can remember from the actual music side of the gig, was a small man in a pirate blouse and grass skirt skipping around the stage shouting, whilst the others all played different tunes.

I love Dio, love Sabbath, but hated that night :sad:

I was dragged screaming to Earls Court to see Dire Straits, free ticket and all. Oh, it was horrid. The band would have been good in a pub, but in a stadium they were , well, dire actually.

I got a free ticket to see them at some open air show near Milton Keynes. Spent the entire gig in the beer tent at the far end of the field. Best way to see them.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I saw Def Leppard, in the early days. I reckon that it might have been one of their first dozen gigs or so as they were pants. This is well before Adrenalize etc. I only stayed cos I was too embarrassed to leave as a lot of others did.

I saw a band called The Snake Charmers at a pub in Norwich, well known for having good bands on. They got it wrong with this lot big time. They started off wonderfully with 'Start me up', the Rolling Stones song, and it was all going very well until the singer opened his mouth and we all discovered that he couldn't carry a tune in a bucket. Lots of people left. I went off to the ladies at the beginning of the second song and came back to find my BF, the bar staff and 2 other people there. We stuck it out until the end of the song and then left. We never saw them billed at that pub again. Can't think why.

Get In The Van

Jimmy Eat World in Glasgow QMU, this was on their Bleed American tour, they were so boring and no crowd interaction.
Dead To Me, King Tuts moaning as the crowd weren't jumping around and having fun......mainly as the band were utter drival
Fleet Foxes, ABC Glasgow on their first UK tour, left after 2 songs, awful band, right up their own butts, although when leaving we said how s££t they were just as the drummer was having a quick puff during one of the songs he didn't play on, he looked a bit shocked.
Frank Turner, garbage left after 1.5 songs, to be fair though i only went as Chuck Ragan was the support.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Oh yeah... Sabbath!

Ffoeg... your avatar... I used that as my Facebook profile for years. People thought it was me as a kid! (it's not)

back to topic.

The Levellers... I was quite a fan of 'em until one day in 1992, then i went to see them live at Preston Guild Hall. That night i realised all their songs start the same, end the same and sound the same in the middle. I realised I hated fluorescent dreadlocks and I also realised i hated their audience, 90% of whom all wore the same orange levellers t-shirt... all in all, every aspect was aweful, including the throbbing headache it gave me.

I also saw George Clinton (Parliament, Funkadelic, P-Funk All-Stars) at the Bridgewater Hall in Manchester. The sound quality was terrible. The foyer was full of poeple demanding their money back at the interval, the band clearly couldn't hear themselves due to poor monitoring. The people in the 'gods' could hear anything due the smallest PA I've everseen at a 'big gig'. Saw the same band again at a different venue and it was much better. The Bridgewater Hall and rock/pop/funk is not a good combination.

Local bands are the best, especially when a friend is in one... after a fecking awful gig my friend (guitar & backing vocals) appears at the bar, looking really chuffed and asks, "so what did you think?" ... "Fecking shite. You should concentrate on sounding like a rock band instead of looking like a rockband" is the honest answer, but you've got to tart these things up a bit to "not my cup of tea".

Top Bottom