The Worst Band You've Seen Live

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brains

Legendary Member
For a couple of years they were one of our regular local small bands, I've seen them a number of times playing the local pubs and clubs. The Sultan was the dire pub at the end of our road (now Nandos!).
At one place the 'stage' was made up of a load of tables pushed together, half way through the gig the drummer, kit and all, disappeared through the floor as the tables parted. Hilarious gig !

Something made me look up this now defunct pub on t'interweb, it describes my memories of the the place quarter of a century earlier, it obviously never improved....
http://dodgyboozers.blogspot.co.uk/2007/07/sultan-lewisham-high-road-430pm.html

Features: Timbered room, toilet outside at back with grills letting the rain through, stunk of piss, reached up a passage reeking of vomit.

Action: Door to Saloon bar open, door to bar was ajar but unable to open it. Saloon bar packed, loud karaoke in tiny room hosted by young black geezer who seemed to know everyone’s first names. Everyone knew everyone’s first name. Served by large barmaid whilst she carried a wireless mic singing Crazy – pausing only to shout over, ‘What was it with the Guinness?’ and ‘£4.10 please love’. Whole karaoke session ended with the pub singing Irish songs. Two very fat pitbulls wobbling about, and a small child aggressively pushing past us at the bar. Very aware that we weren’t part of the scene. Coup de grace, one very pissed old bloke, fag burning down to his knuckles crooning his way, slushy-eyed through My Way.

Herbie

Veteran
As an antidote to the other thread.

Van Morrison - Leicester DeMontfort Hall Early '90s. Mumbled his was through a few songs, took half an hour break mid way, then as an encore he murdered Brown Eyed Girl, then buggered off

The Waterboys at Belladrun Festival...they headlined on last night...utter mince they were

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
Meat Loaf at the Metro Radio Arena Newcastle 5/4/2013

I am not a fan but my girlfriend is, £65 a ticket. The guy should of been on a zimmer frame as he could hardly walk around the stage. His hand was shaking like mad holding the mic, and his voice was shocking. Totally out of tune, like a terrible pub singer. The show was lame in itself for the price, no sets, or decent lighting and the sound quality was pretty bad. We left about half way through, no wonder it was his final tour should of packed in years ago. What a total rip-off, not even a support act for £65 in a small"ish" venue. Steaming pile of shoot!

Rezillo

TwoSheds
Elvis Costello and The Attractions at Ipswich - just after 'This Year's Model' came out. The band sounded like the members had met for the first time that day, Costello's voice was just awful and the sound was cranked up beyond 11 into extreme distortion in a futile effort to make inadequate amplification fill a large hall.

It was painful just to stay in the theatre, on several levels. A huge disappointment - I was a big fan at the time.

Texas and also Wet Wet Wet (not together), sometime mid/late 80s cant' remember (probably drunk), in a pub (can't recall the name and think I was under 18) somewhere in Glasgow's west end. Both were utter tripe. But obviously got better because I love them both now ^_^ Em, that account of my teens doesn't give a good impression!
Remember seeing Sheena Easton at Glasgow's Big Day (90/91?) in Glasgow Green and she was boo'ed off the stage, poor girl.

Tim Hall

The Pogues sometime in the eighties in Battersea Park. McGowan was lashed to the gills (no surprise there) and could barely stand. Fortunately Ken Livingston put the gig on as a freebie, so I didn't lose anything by leaving after 15 minutes.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
Meatloaf at Chatsworth. We left after about half an hour. His voice wad shot to pieces.
Also saw Brendan Croker.....without the 5 O'clock shadows locally. He was either very ill or as a newt.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
.....then of course there was the time I went to see 4cc...........they used to be 10cc before most of the band left. In their heyday they sang a song called Worst Band in the World. .....maybe it was a premonition.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
[QUOTE 2398311, member: 259"]Perhaps it's just me, but didn't you have the slightest premonition about this? :hello:[/quote]
Always wanted to see him......just left it 20 years too late:sad:

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I must have been to some bad gigs back in the early to mid 90s but I have to say that I was probably too out of it to remember them.

Cletus Van Damme

Previously known as Cheesney Hawks
[QUOTE 2398311, member: 259"]Perhaps it's just me, but didn't you have the slightest premonition about this? :hello:[/quote]

Well I expected Meat Loaf to be shite to be honest as I think he is rubbish anyway. My girlfriend thinks he's awesome (or did) so you do these things. The guy is a total has-been now and garbage live.

It's like I am a huge AC/DC fan but I would never go and see them as I think that they are past it. If I could go back in time to 1978 at the Appollo Glasgow where I believe If You Want Blood You've Got It was recorded I would, when they had a decent singer and were in their prime. I think it would possibly be better to see a decent tribute band at a smaller venue, than some old men at a stadium where you cannot see anything.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Motörhead circa 76 just a wall of shouty noise.

Hawkwind about five years ago. What a feckin waste of electricity.

Black Country Ste

Power Quest, who supported Helloween at Bradford Rio's in 2005. Or perhaps Falconer at Wacken Open Air in 2007. I was falling asleep on my feet during that one and stumbled into a huge German bloke who wasn't too happy about it.

Of bands I actually like I was disappointed by Sodom, also at WOA. Anyone who remembers old Eddie's in Birmingham, I was in there the week before it burnt down to see Orange Goblin. The singer was wrecked, who knows how much he drank but he managed half a song before taking a swig of water, spitting it out at the crowd and falling asleep on stage while the band, clearly p*ssed off with him jammed through the rest of the set.

Top Bottom