Thefts of GPSs in cafes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
I think I may have this wrong, but as others have said, Garmin can lock it out of their system so you can't link it to your own Garmin account, so the device will still work but you won't be able to upload it to Garmin & it won't update, whether you can upload to Strava/RidewithGPS etc. I don't know but would think so.

Depending on your experience of Garmin updates this may not be a bad thing.

D

Deleted member 26715

I have never had an issue with any of our Garmin products

Adam4868

Guru
Has anybody heard any reports of this happening? A cycling buddy visited a popular cycling cafe near Preston a couple of days ago. Removed his Garmin, put it in his helmet along with gloves and other stuff, which he left on a table while he went to the counter to order and pay. When the time came to leave - no Garmin. The cafe was crowded with cyclists and non-cyclists so anybody could have casually picked it out of his helmet in passing. Unfortunately for the thief it's got a cracked screen and a mount glued on the back.

Not far up the A6 from there is Scorton whose two cafes used to have a terrible reputation for bike thefts.
Was up there yesterday,Barn and applestore seem to have gone upmarket ? Pricey enough for "cycling cafes"
I never leave anything on bike which is removable.

byegad

Legendary Member
I used to work for a well known mobile phone company. The number of idiots that would leave their phones on bars and then act all surprised when they weren't there on their return! The insurance wouldn't pay out on them.

D

Deleted member 26715

I used to work for a well known mobile phone company. The number of idiots that would leave their phones on bars and then act all surprised when they weren't there on their return! The insurance wouldn't pay out on them.
Once in a pub with my wife, there were a couple of young ladies on the next table, I saw a guy come over to talk to them he deliberately leaned over & put one of his hands on top of one of their phones that were just laying on the table, they chatted for a couple of minutes & as he made to leave I saw him try to take the phone with him, but one of the ladies was clearly aware & challenged him, he retorted with a "Oops sorry thought that was mine", then proceeded to look for his own phone" Sneaky Barstool

byegad

Legendary Member
Our Garmin car satnav worked pretty well. Updating it was a nightmare. Every single time you did it the Garmin software on the computer had to be updated, taking anything up to an hour, and the map update was a several hour job. Their software update on the device wasn't too bad, but still not good.

Yes.

And if Garmin has inserted self-destruct code in their phones, you know that it would happen randomly to some innocent owners.

I have never had an issue with any of our Garmin products
Well, let's say that 2% of Garmins have a fatal flaw, there would be thousands of unhappy customers, but most would say "I've never had an issue". It doesn't really add any info unless someone was saying "Garmin have never produce a working unit", which no one is saying.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
I think every company everywhere produces and sells some imperfect units occasionally, my initial comment was really an aside.

Not wishing to derail the thread, I am also one that would remove any expensive items from the bike (wheels exempt). Lights/GPS certainly.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Garmin car sat nav (Nuvi something) and bike computer (Edge 810) both do their job fine but updates using Garmin's software always feels like much more of a chore than they need to be.
Garmin Virb bike camera - a nightmare from start to finish to set up and to use, rarely worked as intended and would frequently turn off midride and refuse to turn back on unless connected to a PC. That got sent back for a refund.

vickster

Legendary Member
I think every company everywhere produces and sells some imperfect units occasionally, my initial comment was really an aside.

Not wishing to derail the thread, I am also one that would remove any expensive items from the bike (wheels exempt). Lights/GPS certainly.
And presumably also not leave in helmet unattended on a cafe table as the OP

Top Bottom