There's good budgeting and there's stupidity...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just replace the Vittoria Rubino Pro 700c x 20 tyres on my fixed-up fixopholous.

They are blue and black... and the crack betwixt colour bands was big enough to drive a car along... A big car.

I run them at 110psi front and 120psi rear.... The cracks and fissures were starting to worry me.

Well... I've changed them for similar (but new) tyres. No drama.

However... When I removed them, the central black contact patch between the swathes of blue almost peeled off between my fingers.

I've been descending steepo hills on these tyres at 32-33 mph (which is fast on that bike).

Clever budgeting or stupidity? I find myself edging towards the latter.

Nebulous

Guru
You got off with it.
I was riding a bike with 30 year old tyres earlier this year, despite advice on here not to. I had one spectacular bang from a tube, but no other dramas, despite the fact I may have wound it up slightly faster than you are referring to there. I might still be on it if I hadn't come off and bent the back wheel - which is also 30 years old. I have considered sticking it on Ebay, to make room in my shed, but may just buy new wheels and tyres next year as a 'leave it locked up in town bike.'

Somehow I feel that whatever level of stupidity you find yourself at, you'll be barely registering on someone else's scale. Have you seen what some people drive around in?

Top Bottom