Thermos Flask to fit standard bottle cage

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I use a Thermos Ultimate 800ml in a Monkii cage.

belach02.jpg

My wife sometimes takes a 500ml flask in a standard cage using the cut off bottom of an old water bottle to stop it moving.
LOL, is that the only photo you have of that flask? Yeah, I'd post it too if I'd climbed that. I'm surprised you don't put this photo in every thread.

(is there one from the top with you looking a little bit tired?)

OP
OP
Distorted Vision
I just bought this in Wilkos:

http://www.wilko.com/flasks+travel-cups/wilko-flask-stainless-steel-500ml/invt/0233639

I need to buy some Velcro straps to secure and prevent it front rattling but it does fit my bottle wage well.

G3CWI

Veteran
Do Thermos flasks attached to the frame of a bike actually work very well? I ask because years ago I noticed (when backpacking) that a Thermos kept in an outside pocket of a rucksack went cold far faster than one inside the rucksack (obvious really). I would have though that a Thermos (especially a metal one) would go cold really fast on a bike frame. Happy to be proved wrong!

Do Thermos flasks attached to the frame of a bike actually work very well? I ask because years ago I noticed (when backpacking) that a Thermos kept in an outside pocket of a rucksack went cold far faster than one inside the rucksack (obvious really). I would have though that a Thermos (especially a metal one) would go cold really fast on a bike frame. Happy to be proved wrong!
All thermos flasks insulation is not metal (or glass) it's the layer of air+nothing, hence vacuum flask. Heat is lost through radiation, conduction, convection and evaporation. Your worry about the bike frame is that heat will be lost through conduction. But the metal that touches the hot liquid does not touch the outside. Here's a nice diagram.

scan0012.jpg

If a flask gets warm on the outside, the metal contact will help it lose heat more quickly. But a flask that gets warm on the outside, has pretty well failed as a flask, and will lose heat quickly by radiation.

@Distorted Vision , I'll put my flask outside in the mild November weather for a couple of hours if you like, and let you know how hot it stays. I know when I use it at a coffee shop, and they say "we put extra hot milk in there" it's still too hot to drink an hour later.

G3CWI

Veteran
If a flask gets warm on the outside, the metal contact will help it lose heat more quickly.

All flasks containing hot liquids get warm on the outside: fact. Your are confusing theory and practice. A flask on a bike is in a stream of (cold) air all the time. I would be astounded if it did not cool significantly faster than a similar flask all snuggly in a rucksack. However it is a matter of degree (pun intended) and an hour is likely not long enough for the increased rate of cooling to be significant.

All flasks containing hot liquids get warm on the outside: fact.
Well, they all would be warmer on the outside than they would be if they didn't didn't have have warm liquid inside them, but I've got flasks that don't feel noticeably warm to the touch - I'd need two identical flasks side by side to tell it was warmer than is should be. A flask that feels warm to the touch usually contains a liquid best described as tepid.

Brandane

Legendary Member
All thermos flasks insulation is not metal (or glass) it's the layer of air+nothing, hence vacuum flask. Heat is lost through radiation, conduction, convection and evaporation. Your worry about the bike frame is that heat will be lost through conduction. But the metal that touches the hot liquid does not touch the outside. Here's a nice diagram.

scan0012.jpg

If a flask gets warm on the outside, the metal contact will help it lose heat more quickly. But a flask that gets warm on the outside, has pretty well failed as a flask, and will lose heat quickly by radiation.

@Distorted Vision , I'll put my flask outside in the mild November weather for a couple of hours if you like, and let you know how hot it stays. I know when I use it at a coffee shop, and they say "we put extra hot milk in there" it's still too hot to drink an hour later.
That scientific stuff is all well and good; but I remember when I bought my first flask. The person in the shop told me it would keep hot things hot, and cold things cold. Well mine didn't quite work as expected when I went off to work the next day. Imagine my disappointment when I opened the flask and discovered that after just a few hours my chicken soup was no longer hot, and my rum and raisin choc-ice had melted :sad:.

So I just did a quick test with my one of these. I filled it with boiling water and put it outside. Not against metal, and not very cold - Met office says it's 12C now. After 3 hours, the outside was cold to the touch (yay) and the liquid was very hot. Not scalding, just reduced enough to drink without burning the mouth.

(for £5, I might pick up another one if/when I pass a Kathmandu)
I've got one of these http://www.kathmandu.co.uk/accessor...ion/vacuum-carabineer-bottle-dark-blue-1.html
paid a lot more for it. I use the carabina to clip it onto a bag, but it fits loosely in the bottle cage. A sock around it would stop it rattling.

I like it because under the waterproof lid, it's a travel mug, so you can just drink the contents through the small hole in the lid.

61071_carabineer_bottle_659.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom