These are shite don't buy them.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BluesDave

Formerly known as DavidDecorator
http://api.viglink.c..._13154163473761

I bought these at the weekend and fitted them to my bike on Sunday. Yesterday whilst cycling home and going over a very small hill the right one snapped right out of the crankarm ripping the thread.
Cue emergency visit to the LBS (luckily I wasn't far from Colliers Wood at the time). In ten minutes he had rebored the thread in the spiggot and fitted a decent quality metal pair of pedals to my machine.
Which cost me £20.

Yes I know you could have told me so in fact when the LBS chap asked me where I got them and how much I paid his reply was "I thought so they are absolute rubbish". He just tossed them in the bin. A fivers no great loss but I could have been.

I'll steer clear of Wilkinsons for bike stuff in the future and support my lbs and amazon of course.

gbb

Legendary Member
I'd take the pedals back and get my money back....even if it were 'only' a fiver'.

I think Wilkinsons stuff is utter tosh....all of their own branded stuff.
My wife brought a bathroom shelf from there last week..despite my hatred of other stuff she's brought from there. Open the box, read the fitting instructions and the designs is so so poor that it'd be pure luck as to whether you'd ever get the holes on the right place (hidden screws). :angry:

I took it straight back and got the money back on it.

£15...i went to B&Q, got one of theirs, same money, infinately beter quality, infinately easier to fit, much better looking.

OP
OP
BluesDave

BluesDave

Well I would have done but the LBS chap tossed them in the bin.
I might write a letter to their head office though but all I'd get for that would probably be a voucher for Wilkinsons. Still at least I'd be able to get some more cleaning stuff and toiletries. Definately no bike stuff.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I bought a bell from Wilko once... seems ok so far. But wouldn't trust much else from there.

I did have a habit of buying the £1.99 innertubes but found they always split by the valve, rendering them useless. I kept buying the same innertubes for a year or two before i realised they were a false economy.

The cheap £7 track pump is ok... for a cheap £7 track pump :whistle:

edit...

and while were talking wilkos... why are their night ligh... sorry, tea lights so inconsistent? I buy the 100 pack because I can go through 10 a night... one pack will be great; nice bright flame, burns all the wax, then the next pack is rubbish, tiny flame, only 30% of the wax gone by the time the wick has burnt out??? GRRRR, there's nowt worse than having a bag of 90 shite night (sorry tea) lights!

ohnovino

Large Member
Their inner tubes used to be Kendas in a Wilko box, but I think they've changed suppliers now. Some of their stuff's okay (I've got a saddle bag from them that I'm very happy with) but I'd stay away from anything that could fail in a nasty way.

YahudaMoon

Über Member
You can buy a full bike for £50 so £5 for a pair of pedals is extortionate and just daylight robbery

Sleeper

A 'potential deathtrap' as they used to say in the old days of 4 tv channels... ;-)
Close shave, lesson learnt. I wouldn't be risking my family jewels so bloody easy!!

zacklaws

Guru
Their puncture repair kits are Ok and I swear by them and the price is right, I almost always pop one into my basket whether I need one or not, but there probably made by someone as all the contents are the same as every other kit you buy elsewhere and just a Wilko's label stuck on

Big boy

Im just trying to get my head around the failure, by what you say the thread went in the peddle arm.
I cant quite jump in there and say the peddle is at fault. (even though i want to)
Was the thred shorter than on your old peddle, did your old peddle bring out any of the peddle arm thread when you removed it??
It sounds like your lbs did a good job for ya, good for them.

OP
OP
BluesDave

BluesDave

Im just trying to get my head around the failure, by what you say the thread went in the peddle arm.
I cant quite jump in there and say the peddle is at fault. (even though i want to)
Was the thred shorter than on your old peddle, did your old peddle bring out any of the peddle arm thread when you removed it??
It sounds like your lbs did a good job for ya, good for them.

No it didn't when I say it ripped the thread out of the crank arm it's closer to say that the thread on the pedal had completely collapsed, worn away to nothing riding about 8 miles back from where I was. The pedal just came out. The thread on the pedal was the right size for the crank arm I can tell the sie of a bolt at a glance after 20 years in the building trade. The crank arm was rebored because the poor quality pedal had damaged the thread therein. My old pedal was on there for 13 years and 1000,s of miles with no probelms. They had got quite worn so I decided to replace them.
Simples

Top Bottom