Things haven't really changed, have they.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Taken from The Ausralian Cylists Party page.
"Bicycle Legislation.
The bicycle has almost got into politics (says the S. M. Herald). The Legislative Assembly on Tuesday refused leave to introduce a bill to provide for the registration of bicycles. The House is to be commended on rejec...ting the question, if only as showing that it is not disposed to encourage fussy legislation. Why should bicycles be registered ? There is an overt and a covert reason. Ostensibly the object is to ensure the identification of any cyclist who may injure a pedestrian ; but behind thin praiseworthy regard for public safety lurks private interest. So many people find themselves affected by the present fashion of cycling that they have a very hearty ill will to the offending vehicle.

They would like to tax it out of use, if they dared to make such a proposition ; but they know that no public body would, save under actual compulsion, propose such a thing. Failing prohibition they are not unwilling to harass the cyclist. They ask for continuous bells, for reducing pace to a funeral march, for compelling the cyclist to wear distinguishing numbers, or for requiring him to register his machine. In this spirit certain municipal authorities appear to question whether the rider of a bicycle has any right in the public thoroughfares. Some aldermen, for instance, complain of the damage done to their macadamised streets by pneumatic tires, but cyclists themselves are understood to complain the other way. Suppose it is admitted that for purposes of public control bicycles ought to be registered, is it the affair of Parliament, to give its attention to the matter, or is it not rather the province of the municipal bodies and the police to prevent the abuse of bicycling? It is satisfactory to find Parliament sensible of its own dignity.

- Western Star September 16 1896

Time Is Right For Action
IN 'The Referee' of June 25 there appeared an article by -the writer which carried the following headlines: 'Now Traffic Problems to ''Be Debated'; 'Must Stop Calling Each Other Names': 'Constructive Thought Only Way Out.' Then followed suggestions whereby sane reasoning could overcome difficulties. Since then, however, the motorists have been busy, and Mr. J. C. Watson, president of the N.R.M.A., has seen fit to rush into print and advocate extermination of the pedal brigade. Things were brought to a head on Monday morning of this week when the Cycling Bureau (a combination of traders) decided to take steps to combat somewhat wild statements.
In another paper, Mr. Watson was quoted as saying, 'We think that some endeavor should be made to keep cyclists off our heavily- used roads.' This, it is claimed, is tampering with the liberty of the subject, and it is pointed out that official figures taken to June 30 last show that while cyclists were held responsible for 936 accidents during the previous year, no less than 6353 motorists were held guilty! It is suggested that Mr. Watson and his confreres 'might better occupy their time by putting their own house in order before worrying about outsiders.' Anyway, it has been decided to form a Cyclists' Association on the lines of the C.T.C. (Eng.) to protect and foster the interests of wheelers.
- The Referee 29 October 1936"

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I'd comment, but that just hits depressingly close to home, and I don't wish to think about it too much... :sad:

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
I'd comment, but that just hits depressingly close to home, and I don't wish to think about it too much... :sad:
Not intended to upset anyone. Just show how far things have "progressed" over the last 100 years.
There's still the odd shout up here saying that we(cyclists) should be licenced and possibly sit a test before being allowed on the roads.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Not intended to upset anyone. Just show how far things have "progressed" over the last 100 years.
There's still the odd shout up here saying that we(cyclists) should be licenced and possibly sit a test before being allowed on the roads.
I know, wasn't criticising you, mate :smile:. There's just so much anti-cyclist feeling here lately, that it's been getting to me.

Time to use some of my long-service leave***, and visit the UK and Western Europe, I think. I'd love to ride some Welsh, French and Italian mountains, plus it would get me away from this car-obsessed country for a while...

*** Been with my employer 10 years, and I have about 3 months long-service leave accumulated.

OP
OP
classic33

classic33

Leg End Member
Not that much different up here, in the Northern Hemisphere. Same problems.
Try Ireland for cycling in. Not quite upto the same speed as the UK yet, outside the major cities.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
I know, wasn't criticising you, mate :smile:. There's just so much anti-cyclist feeling here lately, that it's been getting to me.

Time to use some of my long-service leave***, and visit the UK and Western Europe, I think. I'd love to ride some Welsh, French and Italian mountains, plus it would get me away from this car-obsessed country for a while...

*** Been with my employer 10 years, and I have about 3 months long-service leave accumulated.
Hey.....what about Scotland? :laugh:

Agree with classic33 though. It's really not a whole lot better here. Everyone seems to be in such a hurry to get everywhere as fast as possible and to hell with anyone that gets in their way. Hence the reason why I am just about to go out for a lovely, quiet and peaceful cycle before 5.30am!

Top Bottom