Things I don't 'get' in this modern world

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Making a non-wobbly table is simplicity itself.
Three feet, not four. It may not be level, but it won't wobble.

Ah but I recall mention of a mathematical proff that a four legged table can always be placed in a position where it doesn't wobble

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
My neighbour asked me if I was good at programming remotes. I'm entirely useless but I asked him what the problem was.

"It's the remotely controlled lavatory flusher." Yes, he could ask it to flush from the bottom of his garden using his smartphone.

I offered him a big yellow Screwfix bucket if things got critical.

And why does the sound volume vary so much between TV programmes these days, even on the same channel. You used to be able to switch it on, adjust the volume once if at all, and settle back. Now I have to constantly adjust it for the start of each programme and again for each set of trailers. Why oh why oh why.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Because all the programmes came from the same mast,the same distance away whereas nowadays TV programmes come from all over the world and some even from space?

TrishE

Über Member
There's people at work wearing huge bracelets that tell them how many steps they take....if it's icy and I walk the three miles to work why does it matter how many steps I took :wacko:

Oh yes - the delights of keying a 15 digit code printed next to the TV listing in the paper (remember those?) - but at least it was easier than laying on the floor in front of the video programming it by pressing those tiny little buttons....And don't forget to add 5 mins on in case it overruns. And make sure you've put a tape in. And rewound it. And put it in timer mode. :laugh:

Just spilt coffee over the keyboard, laughing at the so well observed absurdity of VCR's.......

Bimble

Bimbling along ...
Sorry, but there's no way I'm giving up my Wi-Fi, iPhone, Sky+ and streamed music to go back to phone boxes and tape! Viva la Tech Revolucion! ^_^ (Oh, and I'm much nearer the big 50 than you @Smithbat ;))
I've got news for you. Nobody says "sick" any more. Deal with it famalam
famalam - having heard some schoolkids say it repeatedly whilst waiting for a bus, I Googled it and was advised by the Urban Dictionary that is means - family, close friend.
Betamax came first. Sorry. Can't help myself.
... and was the better quality system of the two, but JVC's VHS format gained a larger market share and Betamax had pretty much died a death by the end of 1981.

It lived on though as Betacam, developed from Betamax (but not compatible with it), which became a professional broadcasting industry standard and was still around long after VHS has been replaced by the DVD. </geekmode>

Starchivore

I don't know much about Cinco de Mayo
Do you good folks also often enter a room and then find yourself unable to remember what you came for?

giphy.gif

(I decided the thread needed more Abe Simpson.)

Top Bottom