Things I don't understand...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
OK...OK a revelation ..............

Ready...........

The answer will be revealed.........

It's the right one............................

Just be prepared...........................

Cos................................

shoot HAPPENS..............................

That's Life ta..da...da...da...daaaaa........:biggrin:;) ;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
My question: why did the Victorians invent B&Q? We've spent over £10,000 so far eradicating all the crappy cheapo B&Q Victoriana from our house. 6 panel doors and their handles, architraves, mouldings, cornices, arches, bathroom suites, kitchen, stained glass, chandeliers, it's all B&Q shite.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
A serious question from me now, unlike the one about the mirror.:angry:

My mother is 88 years old. I have two brothers, two sisters in law, five nephews and nieces.

Why therefore

I am the only relative able to help my mother with things. Some of the things that need doing are comparatively simple, like buying her some socks, (she can show you the sort of socks she likes, and she can tell you that they are in Debenhams),or a large print book of Crosswords, (if you read the cross words, and cannot solve them, then that is OK because she will be able to, she likes the difficult ones), or taking her out to lunch. Tricky that last one, you need to remember to take her Blue Parking Badge, or park very close to the restaurant, and you may have to read some of the menu to her.

Or helping her choose presents for other people. Yes, I know that is really complicated. :angry:

She has a neighbour, well I think she is a neighbour, but sometimes I wonder if she is an Angel in human form, who takes her shopping for clothes and shoes etc.

I can do the slightly more complicated stuff, and the very complicated stuff, like arranging for the house to be re-wired, but cannot do all the tiddly, fiddly stuff as well.

colly

Re member eR
Speicher, there are a couple of old sayings that might point you to an answer.

One is : The more you do the more you might.
another is: Want something doing? Ask a busy person.

Your relatives will see you doing things and helping out and because you DO they will be happy to take a back seat and let you carry on. I guess you are someone who is always occupied and has things to do.
If you suddenly were to say ... 'well I am too busy and can't be arsed' .... you can bet your bottom dollar they would be on the phone accusing you of dereliction of duty. Of course you won't do that because you love your mother and she would be the one to suffer.
Time to toughen up and get those others to get off their arses and help out.
Tell them you have found out your mum is sitting on a few million that no one had known about and she is thinking of leaving it all to you. The stampede to her door will be incredible.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Yes, you are right, Colly. I think it may be time to strongly suggest to my mother that other people are capable of helping her.

Dereliction of duty - you have been speaking to one of my brothers then.:ohmy: I visit her at least every five or six weeks. One of my brothers recently visited her for oooh at least 24 hours, after not seeing her for a year. He was very disappointed that I was not able to be there when he was. But I took the attitude that, as he sees her so infrequently, perhaps he would enjoy the time he and his wife could spend with her, without my needing to be there. :smile:

Tinternet is so wonderful for so many things - Today I found a large print Radio and TV guide published by the RNIB that I can request on-line and get it sent to her address each week. (The print in most tv guides is too small for her to read). Also I have been choosing curtains on-line, and arranged for small colour samples (ten) to be sent to her address. So she can see the colours in her house to choose new curtains. Two of my nieces and nephews have University Degrees, one in Information Technology or some similar ology. But it would still seem that the complexities of the tinternet are beyond them. :biggrin:

buggi

Bird Saviour
colly said:
Speicher, there are a couple of old sayings that might point you to an answer.

One is : The more you do the more you might.
another is: Want something doing? Ask a busy person.

Your relatives will see you doing things and helping out and because you DO they will be happy to take a back seat and let you carry on. I guess you are someone who is always occupied and has things to do.
If you suddenly were to say ... 'well I am too busy and can't be arsed' .... you can bet your bottom dollar they would be on the phone accusing you of dereliction of duty. Of course you won't do that because you love your mother and she would be the one to suffer.
Time to toughen up and get those others to get off their arses and help out.
Tell them you have found out your mum is sitting on a few million that no one had known about and she is thinking of leaving it all to you. The stampede to her door will be incredible.

+1... especially the last para unless you know she has a million and she's gonna leave it to you, then don't say a word!

my friend's mum has this problem, which is made worse by the fact that in her nan's eyes the sun shines out of the arses of her uncles who never see her, and it's going that way with my friends own mum and brothers. Funny how you end up turning into your mum init?

Dave5N

Über Member
That's easy for you to say, but what about us?

Amanda P

Legendary Member
Some answers.

You do see baby pigeons. Well, young ones anyway. You just don't know they're babies because by the time they're big enough to leave the nest and fly away, they look just like adult pigeons (unless you know what to look for).

In the nest, it's true they're very ugly. Most baby birds are. (Especially corvids. Little bags of guts on big gangly legs that shoot at one end and vomit at the other).

Birds do get cold feet. Handle a duck at this time of year and there's not doubt about that! Comedy Pilot's right:their circulation is plumbed so that blood flowing to the feet is cooled by the blood returning from them. This keeps their feet from getting frostbite without cooling the rest of them too much.

In hot weather, they can open some valves or something so that their feet get hot and cool the rest of their bodies. (Handle a duck in August and their feet get quite hot).

We think that birds stand on one leg to help reduce heat loss. But no-one can be quite sure, especially since they still do it when the weather is not.

colly

Re member eR
Mr Chiltern. At my junior school when I was about 7 or 8.

That bloke really hated me for some reason. Of course it has left no lasting impression on me whatsoever.

I just regard him as an unfortunate

F****** C***

see no impression at all.

Top Bottom