Things that annoy you, that shouldn't..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Amanda P

Legendary Member
"The thing is, is that..."

"Impact" when the word should be "effect", as in (heard on Radio 4):
Interviewer: "So what sort of impact do you think this will have on the community?"
Interviewee: "A long, slow, gradual impact, I should think, but probably good".

A long, slow gradual impact? An impact is a sudden, catastrophic and usually deleterious event - it can't be gradual. And it ain't usually good.

Split infinitives are grammatically incorrect and really get my goat.
'Data is' . No, 'Data are'. Data = plural. Datum = singular.

Melvil

Zoe Williams in The Guardian.

Sometimes comes up with genuinely thought provoking material but most of the time annoys me rotten with her stream-of-consciousness (did I mention parentheses in every sentence) spiel.

In fact most of the crap on TV now. I have 2 shows I watch avidly, House & My Name is Earl. The rest is tripe. I like the CSI series and Law & Order, but thats getting a bit samey now.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
Flying_Monkey said:
When I'm in an up phase almost nothing annoys me, I just find things amusing, especially other people finding things annoying (which probably annoys them even more!).

... :ohmy:

Academics who've completely lost sight of phrases such as "When I'm happy".;)

Amanda P

Legendary Member
The 57 cigarette butts that are lying on the floor of the bike shed at work.

Why is so hard for smokers to put them in the bin THAT IS SO CONVENIENTLY LOCATED RIGHT THERE?

And why can't they go and smoke in their own filthy stinking cars instead of lounging around my bike?

<wipes foam from corners of mouth and returns to work>

Taking just ONE step into a shop and an assistant asking if they can help!

The total lack of 'please', 'thank you' and 'excuse me' everywhere.

Trying to make a phone call and being asked to 'push button 'x' time and time again.

Or waiting in a telephone queue with awful piped music.

I have become my dad! ;);)

k-dog

My favourite bugbear right now - and for the last few years - is umbrellas.

How annoying! You're walking along a busy street and it's barely even damp in the air and people are poking you in the eye with their umbrella. I can understand if it's actually raining but the number of people who seem to just have them up just to be a nuisance is ridiculous.

k-dog said:
My favourite bugbear right now - and for the last few years - is umbrellas.

How annoying! You're walking along a busy street and it's barely even damp in the air and people are poking you in the eye with their umbrella. I can understand if it's actually raining but the number of people who seem to just have them up just to be a nuisance is ridiculous.

I was in Washington DC ages ago walking down the sidewalk, and this broad came waltzing along and nearly took my eye out (the pointy bit just brushed against my temple). I looked round a bit surprised, she turned around, I thought to apologise and she just said 'fukking ar$ehole' and walked off.
It wasn't even raining! ;)

Top Bottom