Things that have bothered you for a long time.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I was pretty good at hockey. Hut hockey has advantages over Rugby, firstly people couldn't jump on me and squash me; which as far as I can tell is the basic point of Rugby; the ball is incidental.

Secondly, those sticks were useful for those of slight build because all the dangerous stuff happens at the other end, and although all the other players were indeed armed so was I. I became feared on a hockey field for my prowess with a pudding ball; it was the only school sport I ever scored any points whatsoever...
As far as I can make out rugby is just more sanctioned 'man cuddles' interspersed with a bit of running about and pile-ons..

I was adequate enough at basketball and netball, to make the team on occasion - but I think more due to my height than any sporting prowess - at least in those two games, the ball doesn't hurt so much when it hits you. :okay:

As far as I can make out rugby is just more sanctioned 'man cuddles' interspersed with a bit of running about and pile-ons..

I was adequate enough at basketball and netball, to make the team on occasion - but I think more due to my height than any sporting prowess - at least in those two games, the ball doesn't hurt so much when it hits you. :okay:

I can honestly say I never got any cuddles when playing rugby. Plenty of bruises though.

Basketball was just rugby indoors in my school, with a hoop so far up that I may as well have tried to hit the moon; not going to happen.

The fact I didn't care was probably a factor too.

So there's something that's bothered me for a long time: why teach sports at school if you're going to do it badly?

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
I can honestly say I never got any cuddles when playing rugby. Plenty of bruises though.

Basketball was just rugby indoors in my school, with a hoop so far up that I may as well have tried to hit the moon; not going to happen.

The fact I didn't care was probably a factor too.

So there's something that's bothered me for a long time: why teach sports at school if you're going to do it badly?

Teaching p.e. seemed to be an occupatuon for a particularly heartless, unempathetic, even in some cases vindictive sort, back when I was at secondary school.

As soon as I could opt out, I did.

I was very happy being active, riding, cycling, walking, a bit of cross country running and all that, even a bit of inept tennis or badminton, now and then.

But couldn't bear that whole team sports chasing about after a ball, them and us, picking teams, so someone always ends up feeling unwanted, or a bit of a failure type of scenario.

Must have set up a lot of kids to hate the idea of physical exercise for evermore.

Thankfully, judging by my kids experiences at school, things seem to have moved on a bit.
There are all kinds of other choices available now, so nearly everyone can enjoy being active in some way shape or form.

D

Deleted member 26715

Teaching p.e. seemed to be an occupatuon for a particularly heartless, unempathetic, even in some cases vindictive sort, back when I was at secondary school.

I was very happy being active, riding, cycling, walking, a bit of cross country running and all that, even a bit of inept tennis or badminton, now and then.

But couldn't bear that whole team sports chasing about after a ball, them and us, picking teams, so someone always ends up feeling unwanted, or a bit of a failure type of scenario.

Must have set up a lot of kids to hate the idea of physical exercise for evermore.

Thankfully, judging by my kids experiences at school, things seem to have moved on a bit.
There are all kinds of other choices available now, so nearly everyone can enjoy being active in some way shape or form.
Think this comes from most PE teachers thinking they are a sporting God, they cannot understand the enjoyment or concept of playing a game without caring if you win or lose.

lazybloke

Considering a new username

I used to long for Athletics; there was something very civilised about track & field events in the warmer months.

Have never derived much enjoyment from team sports, with one exception. We had an American teacher one year, and she noticed a group of us throwing a frisbee one lunchtime, and introduced us to "Ultimate". Within days we had formed an ultimate club and school team.
Not a common game in the 1980s, we only ever found one other school to play against (and retired undefeated)!

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu-5LCr1kwg

Those who can, do; those who can't, teach. And those who can't teach teach gym. - Woody Allen

Hmmn, there may be something in that...

Although bizarrely, I do now teach a form of gym, I spose, in the guise of Yoga.

Although the school I'm trained with are very rigorous on training and assessing both our abilities to do, and teach.

If you can't demonstrate what it is you're trying to teach, then no one's got a clue what is going on, or what you're aiming at.

At the same time if you can't understand why someone's having difficulties, then you can't really help much.

I guess the difference being that I'm teaching adults, who have opted in.
They pay me even :eek:

Whereas the poor hapless child-victims of P. E. have no choice... :sad:

Why are men obsessed with professional football ?

Its there gay side coming out. Men in shorts. Always understood women watching it, but men.:wacko:
Interesting theory ... but shorts have gotten a lot longer and baggier, as revenues and ticket prices have shot up. So you haven't convinced me!

OP
OP
Yellow Fang

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member

Not something that bothered me but something I have wondered about for decades: why do so many kids hate PE and Games? I was rubbish at sport and disliked communal showers, but I still regarded PE and Games as an escape from the unending monotony of school.

Not something that bothered me but something I have wondered about for decades: why do so many kids hate PE and Games? I was rubbish at sport and disliked communal showers, but I still regarded PE and Games as an escape from the unending monotony of school.

In my case because it was a kind of cross between legalised bullying and tribal warfare.

In fact there was something rather sinister looking back, in the way we were taught to view the other "team" as the opposition to be stopped at all costs, just because they had a different coloured top on. Almost as if we were being psychologically prepared to have a "them and us" mentality.

Thankfully my kids had a similar experience, one in particular had two very passionate and creative teachers: one taught them to design courses and tell stories using the athletics equipment, and his current one leads through enthusiasm and encouragement. So much so that Younger Son is now considering being a games teacher.

But what is that stuff about picking teams? I get it when kids are on the playground, but what sort of teacher actually sanctions that in the lessons? I was always one of the two last, which probably would have scarred me for life, but I didn't care what happened to their silly ball, so it didn't matter...

Top Bottom